Can you recommend the Lumintop Tool AA?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking to pick up a few single AA lights to keep around the house for the family to use. Looking for opinions and long term use of the Tool AA lights. Under $20 seems like a good deal if they hold up. I've had a few Fenix AA lights over the years and found them to be very durable/reliable but no experience with Lumintop's AA offerings. Let me know your experience with this light. Open to other recommendations for single AA budget lights as well.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read many comments praising the Tool AA. No experience with it myself, but the Lumintop Tool AAA is a favorite of mine. Sturdy and reliable.
Yea I've had and enjoyed the AAA as well. If the AA is on par with the AAA then I'm sure I'd be happy with them. Again these are for non-flashlight nerd family members to use, so tint, cri, lack of perfect output levels won't be noticed. Want something solid, reliable, that will provide good runtime on a low mode.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the Maratac AA and AAA brass, copper, Ti, or anodized are great little lights. I've bought a few as gifts to family members years ago and they still carry them without any issues. The Maratac models I've mentioned I believe are also made my Lumintop

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also the Maratac AA and AAA brass, copper, Ti, or anodized are great little lights. I've bought a few as gifts to family members years ago and they still carry them without any issues. The Maratac models I've mentioned I believe are also made my Lumintop

Yea I've looked at those over the years and I'm sure they're great. Just need something inexpensive for the non-flashlight nerds in the family to keep around the house.

I have a Tool 2.0 with a warm white emitter (4000k), and one with a cool white emitter (about 6000k). [My finely calibrated eyeball reports that the cool white version appears about 10% brighter than the warm white version.] Running these on Eneloops yields reasonably long runtimes (12 hours at the medium output level), which is long enough that even assuming common Muggle obliviousness toward recharging, they can be assured of a working light in most circumstances. (Not that YOU would ever allow a battery to discharge past the point of usefulness, but others might.) ;)

There are four well-spaced output levels, allowing the user to select the right amount of light for the task at hand, while also preserving battery life. The reverse clicky interface is simple: click the tailcap to turn the light on, then half-press the tailcap to advance through the four modes, L-M-H-Turbo. Moonlight is three to four lumens using a 1.2v cell, with the light being diffuse at that output level, producing a soft light. You can get higher outputs using a 14500 li-ion cell, but that's not the use scenario you described.

There are a number of useful reviews online to review if you want really specific information. But for Muggle-born users, the Tool 2.0 is a really good choice. Just be sure that they know to put the lights back where they belong after using them. These lights are small enough and lightweight enough to be easily misplaced by casual users. Nuff' said.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Gonna get two AA Lumintops for the house, just deciding between the Tool AA V2 and the EDC15. Guess biggest differences are clicky and the TIR.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Tool 2.0 and the EDC. The Tool's beam profile is typical: a hotspot and generous spillbeam. The EDC however is all flood.

I recommend the Tool over the EDC.
May try one of each. Nichia tool only a few dollars more. Thanks!

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my EDC15 but yeah, it's all flood, like a mule with no optic at all. It's great inside, but for outside use I'd want something with more reach.

Incidentally, the EDC15 has a strobe mode that is between level 3 and 4, instead of being after the max output level, for some weird reason. It requires running through the sequence twice to get to it though (like the old Preons and Q.Mini) so it's not too intrusive. Just FYI.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my EDC15 but yeah, it's all flood, like a mule with no optic at all. It's great inside, but for outside use I'd want something with more reach.

Incidentally, the EDC15 has a strobe mode that is between level 3 and 4, instead of being after the max output level, for some weird reason. It requires running through the sequence twice to get to it though (like the old Preons and Q.Mini) so it's not too intrusive. Just FYI.
Thanks man! I wasn't expecting this many people to have these. Sounds like they're trusted little lights.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nichia Tool AA just arrived. Wow, I'm impressed. Great beam, build, and feel in the hand. Thanks for the recommendation folks.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly, Lumintop is just horribly underrated!
You know, I don't have any long term experience with Lumintop, but if they hold up like say Fenix lights do, then I would agree with you. Especially for the price. Topped off an Eneloop and gave the Tool to my son to keep on his nightstand. Gotta grab one or two more now. Do I go with more of the same or mix it up? Fenix e12 🤔? Hard being a flashaholic, even when you're buying lights for non-flashaholics.

Last edited:

indigon

Enlightened
Picked up a few of these as gifts.
Very happy with them.
Develops a cool patina over time.
Lumintop AA tool copper EDC special edition 4k

Link

(-Added a deep carry pocket clip)

Clip

ltc_se.jpg

lumintop.jpg