Gift for soldier

tadbik

Enlightened
Hi guys, Would apreciate some advice with regarding a gift for a U.S.soldier being deployed to Italy (lucky for him!). He's in heavy artillery. I want to spend around $30 and not necessarily a flashlight.

Thanks

Dave /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on what he likes... I always appreciated things I couldn't find around locally, but I've never been to Italy, so I don't know.

Does he smoke? How about a really nice lighter? (probably dips--everyone else in my unit did; so how about a really nice Coke can to spit into /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

-Jason

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tadbik,
Arc AAA with a spare 4-pack of AAA batteries. If he is going to play war games out in the dirt, a small flashlight that is bright enough to see were to walk would be an awesome present. The price will fit your budget and the Arc will last his entire career.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Streamlight TT 3 "AA" at $24 and a Dorcy AAA for $6. I don`t know if there is much over here that couldn`t be found there.

Ken

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
If he doesn't already have an "Issue" Infinity or something, how about an ARC AA second.... That way he can use issue BA-58s to "fuel" it. Back in my day a RED Arc AAA & batteries (or similar) would have been just wonderful, although I don't know if they issue something like that now. For something "useful" that is what I would have really appreciated.

For something purely for enjoyment, I'd have been thrilled with some home made Chocolate chip cookies (or Mrs. Fields etc.) or a big bag of Beef Jerkey.

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Heavy artillery in Italy? We only have light 105 mm howitzers in Italy, with the SETAF forces in Vicenza. Anyhow, a really cool flashlight is the Inova 24/7. It is a bit more than 30 bucks, but has red LEDs, white LEDs, and orange LEDs. Eight different functions will provide him with many lighting options. You could also find out what kind of music he likes and buy him a new CD. How about a AT&T phone card so he can call home cheaper? The possibilities are endless. Of course, being the flashlight geeks we all are, I think something in a cool flashlight would be fun to open for Christmas.

tadbik

Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys, I think I'm going to go for the Inova 24/7 As RadarGreg suggested. As to the penthouse idea, my budget doesn't run to expensive condos! (unless you were referring to the mag!)