Interface question

kbuzbee

Enlightened
I know a couple lights have interfaces that start low and ramp up to high.

Peak lights use QTC compression as the plunger is pushed or the head is turned
Sunwayman M11R uses a magnetic ring

What other technologies work (edit - continuously) along these lines and what are some current examples? (Especially AAA offerings)

Thanks!

Ken

Last edited:

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Nice! Thanks! I've heard good things about Thrunite but never tried one. Recommended source?

ken

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Just to be clear, the Thrunite is two modes, not continuous, correct? I was more interested in 0->x continuous, like the two I cited...

ken

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another way is to use programming modes. A special click sequence takes you into the programming mode where the light cycles 0-100%, and you click (or triple-tap, hold, jump up and down) to lock a certain brightness.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
Another way is to use programming modes. A special click sequence takes you into the programming mode where the light cycles 0-100%, and you click (or triple-tap, hold, jump up and down) to lock a certain brightness.

Thanks, I never really understood programming modes... What are some good examples?

Ken

Poppy

Flashaholic
Just to be clear, the Thrunite is two modes, not continuous, correct? I was more interested in 0->x continuous, like the two I cited...

ken

ken you posted in the wrong section, and gave your thread a misleading title.

You should have posted in the recommend me a flashlight section.

I thought that you were asking for different types of mode switches, and you named two.

Yes the Ti is simply two modes, not continuously ramping.

The thrunite TN11 had ramping but 18650
the Niteye MSC20 has ramping, but again 18650

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LRI Proton Pro is a 1AA LED flashlight in which the brightness ramps up and down by keeping a side mounted button depressed.

kbuzbee

Enlightened
ken you posted in the wrong section, and gave your thread a misleading title.

You should have posted in the recommend me a flashlight section.

Sincere apologies, brother. I misunderstood the 'recommend me a flashlight' section to be for "shopping" I'm just trying to get a feel for what types of technologies are available (and what platforms you might find them on) I was only asking about models and sources to do some research. I find the vast array of options, sizes, specs and interfaces to be incredibly confusing so I was trying to segment it a bit. Of course, at some point all this information could turn into a purchase of some kind so I see your point. In my mind I need to understand what "is" before I can request something so specific.

note - Mods, please feel free to move this thread to the correct area.

I thought that you were asking for different types of mode switches, and you named two.

That was exactly my intent, well, kinda ;) I wanted to know about different "ramping" switches (just learned that word from you, below! Thank you!) which I mistakenly called continuous in my reply. Apologies, again.

Yes the Ti is simply two modes, not continuously ramping.

Cool, that was what I thought I was reading about it. Nothing wrong with that. All my lights currently work with 2-3 discreet modes and they are fine but "continuous ramping" caught my interest.

The thrunite TN11 had ramping but 18650
the Niteye MSC20 has ramping, but again 18650

So, do these technologies not tend to show up in AAA lights because these lights cost less? Or have lower output? Too much overhead? (I realize this could just be guessing but opinions are fine)

i would think there would be a market for things like this...

Ken

Last edited:

kbuzbee

Enlightened
The LRI Proton Pro is a 1AA LED flashlight in which the brightness ramps up and down by keeping a side mounted button depressed.

Interesting. So it cycles up then cycles back down and you release it when you're where you want to be? (There was a video but it won't play on my iPad)

edit - Okay, I found I video on YT. Very cool! From Off - hold the button, red ramps up. From On - hold the button and white ramps down. Pretty ingenious.

I kinda wish those two cycles could be exchanged (red function for white function) but I'm probably in the minority on that.

Nce light!

Thanks!

Ken

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
The concept to add to your quiver is steps or stepped increments vs continuous increments.

The stepped increment lights jump from pre-set outputs to preset outputs...for example by rotating a ring to detented points, or, pushing, and/or holding down, a switch to make the output change.

So if a light has say 6 output levels, you are either rotating a ring that has a stop at each out put, or, are pressing a switch to make a jump. On the rings, typically, you go one way for brighter, and the other way for dimmer outputs. On the button/switches, you either press and hold to "scroll" through the outputs, or do one press for each jump...and, typically, its a "higher to highest then down back to the lowest" pathway through the settings. MOST rings simply go from off or lowest, up to highest...and you reverse the rotation to get back to a lower output.

Some add a 'default on", typically for tactical lights, so they start at max output, and you then adjust from there if you want it dimmer. Non-tactical might start at the lowest setting, and you ramp up from that point if you want it brighter, and so forth.

For continuous, it can also use a ring or switch, except that there are no detents you can observe, and the output smoothly increases and decreases as you rotate the ring or hold down a switch, etc.

Many use a flash or other signal that you have reached the max output (So you know that more switch holding or ring turning will then start to make it dimmer again, etc...)

Some combine a tail or side switch with the above, so you have an on-off switch, as well as an adjustable switch or ring, etc.

Some add the ability to pre-set the ring or other output level to what you think you'll want it to come on at, and when turned on, its at that level. This can be a program, and/or a mechanical choice, depending on the UI.

Zebralight and ArmyTek for example use presets/detents, and, program choices...so you can choose your UI....or, use the factory defaults, etc.

Because the human eye is a terrible light meter...most presets are set at output jumps of about 50 - 100% of the adjoining lumen setting. The continuously adjustable outputs allow you to get a finer adjustment, say if you just want it 20% brighter or dimmer, but not all the way to 50% etc. This can be useful when trying to extend cell life or see as well as possible with night adapted vision w/o too much glare/ruining your night vision.

Last edited:

kbuzbee

Enlightened
The concept to add to your quiver is steps or stepped increments vs continuous increments.

Thanks TEEJ! Great thoughts.

Some add a 'default on", typically for tactical lights, so they start at max output, and you then adjust from there if you want it dimmer. Non-tactical might start at the lowest setting, and you ramp up from that point if you want it brighter, and so forth.

That makes perfect sense. Always conflicting goals, eh? Trying to find the best fit is no easy job, OTOH I get the sense there have never been more more/better options, which is a great thing.

Zebralight and ArmyTek for example use presets/detents, and, program choices...so you can choose your UI....or, use the factory defaults, etc.

Cool. No experience with either. I'll go check 'em out.

Because the human eye is a terrible light meter...most presets are set at output jumps of about 50 - 100% of the adjoining lumen setting. The continuously adjustable outputs allow you to get a finer adjustment, say if you just want it 20% brighter or dimmer, but not all the way to 50% etc. This can be useful when trying to extend cell life or see as well as possible with night adapted vision w/o too much glare/ruining your night vision.

These days I'm finding lower levels more useful that those super torched, but they're all fun.

Great thoughts and terrific explanations!

Ken