A question a Surefire M3 interior Coat Color

nanchanglang

Newly Enlightened
Recently I bought a crosshair M3 from a SF collector. But I find that the interior coat color for this M3 body is clear but not yellow color, which is common for old SF flashlight.

I am pretty sure that this is not a courterfeit, I am just wondering if Surefire produced some M3s without yellow coat for some reason before?

badtziscool

Flashlight Enthusiast
Recently I bought a crosshair M3 from a SF collector. But I find that the interior coat color for this M3 body is clear but not yellow color, which is common for old SF flashlight.

I am pretty sure that this is not a courterfeit, I am just wondering if Surefire produced some M3s without yellow coat for some reason before?

I believe this is right. The older SF bodies had a yellow (more like gold/brass) color and the newer bodies have a clear (silver) color. It was due to a change in some coating they used for the inside of the body. Not sure what that coating does, so maybe someone who knows can enlighten us?

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it possible your M3 has been bored to fit large rechargeable cells?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Chemistry change in the anti-corrosion coating, to omit the use of an EPA-regulated chromate compound in manufacturing. Nothing to worry about.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
But this is a crosshair M3.
Ah yes, you do have a good point there. If you have a set of calipers, check the ID to see if its been bored for 18mm cells.
Also, just a quick visual will do the trick; unmodified bodies should have a slight inner lip in the ID, about 3/8" from the tail end.

nanchanglang

Newly Enlightened
Ah yes, you do have a good point there. If you have a set of calipers, check the ID to see if its been bored for 18mm cells.
Also, just a quick visual will do the trick; unmodified bodies should have a slight inner lip in the ID, about 3/8" from the tail end.

Not bored.