Li-ion cycles

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
I heard that each time a battery is connected for charging, one cycle counts. You can reach up to 500 to 1000 cycles, then the cell is practically unusable.

Sometimes, I do not exactly remember which of my batteries is charged. If I connect it to the source just for 1 second and it only shortly flashes, meaning that it started charging and has stopped immediately, does the cycle count also here for the shortest period?

Thanks

HKJ

Flashaholic
I heard that each time a battery is connected for charging, one cycle counts. You can reach up to 500 to 1000 cycles, then the cell is practically unusable.

Sometimes, I do not exactly remember which of my batteries is charged. If I connect it to the source just for 1 second and it only shortly flashes, meaning that it started charging and has stopped immediately, does the cycle count also here for the shortest period?

Thanks

With LiIon that would only count as a small fraction of a cycle.
With NiMH it will usual count for more, because the charger will not stop immediately, but will over charge the battery for maybe 10 minutes.

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
How big fraction, 1/2 or 1/100?

Also, if it is not a HQ charger, does it also count as 1 in case of li-ion? One of my charger only works as plug on / out, there is only charging/charged signal, and when fully charged, it takes also about 5-10 minutes before it shows the charged signal.

HKJ

Flashaholic
How big fraction, 1/2 or 1/100?

Probably around 1/100 cycle, but remember that time at full charge does also affect LiIon lifetime.

Also, if it is not a HQ charger, does it also count as 1 in case of li-ion? One of my charger only works as plug on / out, there is only charging/charged signal, and when fully charged, it takes also about 5-10 minutes before it shows the charged signal.

No, LiIon chargers works another way than NiMH chargers. They cannot force extra charge into the batteries (Except old batteries), they "just" keep them at maximum voltage.

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
remember that time at full charge does also affect LiIon lifetime

I thought most of modern chargers automatically cut-off current supply once it's charged completely.

So even if eg in Intellicharger v4, it will a little "damage" the battery once it is left there with 3 bars indicating full charge?

Or in laptops, the battery should be removed as soon as 100 % is reached, otherwise it still receives some pulses of current?

HKJ

Flashaholic
I thought most of modern chargers automatically cut-off current supply once it's charged completely.

So even if eg in Intellicharger v4, it will a little "damage" the battery once it is left there with 3 bars indicating full charge?

Or in laptops, the battery should be removed as soon as 100 % is reached, otherwise it still receives some pulses of current?

It has nothing with charging to do, just storing the cell at full voltage will slowly wear it down. There is a reason cells are shipped only half charged.

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
It has nothing with charging to do, just storing the cell at full voltage will slowly wear it down. There is a reason cells are shipped only half charged.

So the best usage range would be about 20 % ... 80 % ?

And about the charging - the current really is disconnected completely? So I don't have to worry about keeping li-ion battery in laptop when at home?

Thanks

HKJ

Flashaholic
So the best usage range would be about 20 % ... 80 % ?

Probably. Some laptops will adjust the charge voltage if you keep them plugged in.

And about the charging - the current really is disconnected completely?

Not completely, there is always a small leak current and the charger will usual kick in if the battery voltage drops to much.

So I don't have to worry about keeping li-ion battery in laptop when at home?

As I wrote above, some laptops are smart enough to adjust the charge voltage for longer battery lifetime.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery University has a good article on how to prolong Li-ions HERE, and THIS military study on charging habits seems to corroborate it. In short, high temps, max charging, high average voltage, and deep discharges wear li-ion batteries faster/harder.

As HKJ mentioned some laptops have smart battery controls like "stop charging @ 80%," but failing that, it is pretty difficult to manage them for long life - often easier to just get a replacement battery every 2 years or so. I personally moved over to a tablet and smartphone with non-replaceable batts and manage my charging with a light timer. On average I use about 40% per day, so I just plug the devices into a light timer every night set to cycle on 70-30-70 basis, and charge between 6-8am (finished just before I start using them) - this minimizes peak charge and average voltage while leaving a reserve I'm comfortable with (30%). Only costs me a few seconds to adjust the timers if I use more or less than 40%.

Course most folks consider this practice way too anal so YMMV ;)

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
HJK:

One last question.

I have seen your graph of charging 18650s in Intellicharger i4. There were pulses of current, always supplying current and then stopping for a certain period - i think for a controlling purposes, whether something else has / has not been inserted.

How come these do not count as separate cycles?

HKJ

Flashaholic
How come these do not count as separate cycles?

The battery is not cycled (discharged/charged). What count as a charge cycle is a full discharger, followed by a full charge (Some manufactures specify a smaller range).
Pulsing the current will not affect cycle count.
What does also wear the battery down is leaving it with a full charge for extended time, especially if it is hot.

ArminVanBuuren

Newly Enlightened
How long does the period has to be to negatively affect its life, significantly? If I charge a backup battery & let it for 2 days, does it war it out significantly? Or it has to be stored for eg 2 months in order for it to take place?

Thanks

HKJ

Flashaholic
How long does the period has to be to negatively affect its life, significantly? If I charge a backup battery & let it for 2 days, does it war it out significantly? Or it has to be stored for eg 2 months in order for it to take place?

Generally we are talking months.
Check battery university for some numbers: http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
The article is a bit old, this means that batteries might be better than stated in that article.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

Thanks

I've had 18650 for example sit ~ a year and still be over 90% charged.

The good ones are pretty stable.

That's for emergency stand by lights....so they stay at full charge all the time for instant use.

For other lights, the cells are rotated.