Fenix LD02 - a layman's overview.

Swede74

Enlightened
The LD02 is a small, single AAA light with a tailcap clicky switch. To the best of my knowledge, it is Fenix's first offering in this category, and as such fills a gap in their current product lineup.

Specifications according to Fenix's website:

Features

-Cree XP-E2 LED with a lifespan of 50000 hours

-Uses one AAA battery

-76mm(Length)*15mm(Diameter)

-16g weight (excluding battery)

-Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness

-Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum

-Premium type 3 hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish

High 100 Lumens / 45 min (NiMH) 30 min (Alkaline)
Mid 25 Lumens / 4 h 15 min (NiMH) 4 h 15 min (Alkaline)
Low 8 Lumens / 14 h 30 min (NiMH) 15 h (Alkaline)

Distance 45 m (Max)

Intensity 505 cd (Max)

Impact resistant 1 m

Waterproof IPX-8, underwater 2 m

I received my specimen yesterday, and have had some time to play around with it, though it is obviously too early for me to say anything about how it will stand up to longterm use.

Here are my initial impressions:

The light came in a basic cardboard box that contained the light itself, warranty card, some information on other Fenix lights, instruction manual, a spare O-ring, and for some reason two (2) alkaline batteries – of different brands.

DSCN1128_KL2.jpg

I much prefer this kind of box over the almost impenetrable, heat sealed (?) packaging used for the E05 and E11. While I'm not a big fan of extravagant presentation cases – I like to know that I'm spending my money on a high quality light, not a fancy container that will soon be relegated to the darkness of a drawer, or even recycled – I can see how it would make sense to give customers the option of having this light shipped in a gift box. Perhaps something for Fenix to consider when Christmas comes around.

The LD02 is very small for a single AAA tail clicky light; in fact, it is the smallest I have seen. Only 11.5 mm taller than the twist-operated E05, and noticeably shorter than the Maglite Solitaire, as well as many older lights in the same segment.

It opens at the head only, appears to have physical reversed polarity protection, and at the tail end of the tube you can see, with the help of some extra light, a small spring. Threads are clean and appear to be of good quality. I like the fact that there is very little play, even with the two parts of the light only partially screwed together. It makes for a solid feel. The same cannot be said about the clip-on style pocket clip; it is flimsier than I would have liked to see, and comes off (too) easily.

The switch protrudes enough to make it possible to operate the light with gloves on. You can also turn it on by pressing it against a hard surface. Even your forehead, knee, or chest will work; provided, perhaps, that you are not too amply padded.

The light has three modes, low (8 lm), med (25 lm) and high (100 lm). It has no additional hidden modes, no mode memory, and always comes on in medium. It is operated by the mechanical tail switch, which unfortunately lacks momentary on. You click and release for constant on, and advance modes by pressing the button halfway down with the light on. The sequence is med-low-high repeatedly. There is an automatic stepdown to med after three minutes on high. I find the low mode too bright; I would rather it was a true moonlight mode (0.5-1 lm) or that the light had four modes.

The beam has a hotspot, but not a sharply defined or glaring one, and some minor artifacts. The artifacts most likely will not affect practical use, but you will notice them if you go white wall hunting.

I don't have the equipment or the know-how needed to do proper runtime tests, but I was able to determine that my light ran for just shy of four hours on med (25 lm) with no significant decline in output. At about the four hour mark output dropped sharply, and at 4:15 the light had started to flash once every ~1.5 seconds. This was probably due to the battery being depleted and repeatedly recovering just enough voltage to allow the light to produce a brief flash. At this point I aborted the test.

runtime_KL2.jpg

I used a Duracell StayCharged 800 mAh for this test.

Fun fact: if you screw the LD02 head onto the E05 body you get a three mode twisty. The E05 head on the LD02 body won't work though.

DSCN1124_KL2.jpg

In summary, the Fenix LD02 appears to be a capable light of good quality. Both output and runtime are certainly acceptable for a light powered by a single AAA battery, and the size and simple user interface makes it a good choice if you're looking for a gift for someone who isn't a flashaholic. Since it always comes on in a reasonable bright (for its size) medium mode, even people who think it's a single mode light may find it a useful tool.

There is room for improvement though: I would like to see a sturdier clip that can be attached to the light more securely, and the lowest mode is too bright for my liking.

Gallery

lineup.jpg

From left to right: GP ReCyko AAA cell, Fenix LD02, Fenix E05, Olight i3S EOS, iTP A3 EOS, Lumintop Worm SS, Maglite Solitaire, "LED light" - my first keychain LED-light, "Ledsaver's", Asaklitt "Mini LED Torch", generic AAA twisty with a store name engraved.

DSCN1096_KL2.jpg

DSCN1097_KL2.jpg

DSCN1080_KL2.jpg

DSCN1110_KL2.jpg

DSCN1113_KL2.jpg

DSCN1114_KL2.jpg

DSCN1118_KL2.jpg

DSCN1120_KL2.jpg

DSCN1130_KL2.jpg
DSCN1131_KL2.jpg
DSCN1134_KL2.jpg
DSCN1132_KL2.jpg
DSCN1047_KL2.jpg

Last edited:

kj75

Enlightened
Good job, Swede74! Clear description!

To Fenix:

The same cannot be said about the clip-on style pocket clip; it is flimsier than I would have liked to see, and comes off (too) easily.

Please improve the clip

and the lowest mode is too bright for my liking.

And add a moonlight mode...

Last edited:

steeps

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I have a E05 so if, I mean when, I get this light I will have to try that out. I also wish the low was a moonlight and that it always started in Low.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fun fact: if you screw the LD02 head onto the E05 body you get a three mode twisty. The E05 head on the LD02 body won't work though.
Since it always comes on in a reasonable bright (for its size) medium mode, even people who think it's a single mode light may find it a useful tool.

Great find! It still comes on medium first while on the e05 body I take it? Mind telling me the overall length with that setup? Excellent review, thank yoU!

Swede74

Enlightened
Good job, Swede74! Clear description!
Thank you, and...

Thanks for the review.
...you're welcome.

Just checking, is there a lens over the optic?
The surface of the optics feels like plastic, but I'm not 100% sure. It looks as if everything that covers the LED is one single "unit". There is no traditional reflector and the design reminds me of the Fenix E11 (only smaller) which I know does not have a glass lens. Again, I can't be certain but I think it's all plastic.

Great find! It still comes on medium first while on the e05 body I take it? Mind telling me the overall length with that setup? Excellent review, thank yoU!
Yes, it still comes on medium first. The overall length of E05 body + LD02 head is ~68 mm. By the way, when turned on the LD02 with its original body works as a twisty light too, thanks to the anodized threads. You can turn it on/off and change modes by unscrewing the head a quarter of a turn.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Swede74. This looks to be a very useful and small clicky AAA light. The runtime and output is very usable for general use. You probably get 6 hours on medium with an Energizer lithium cell. When you think of how small this light is and that it's putting out 25 lumens for many hours, you can't help but be impressed.

Ishango

Enlightened
Thanks Swede74 for this review. I like mine a lot and I too would have like a sturdier clip. I also would like to see Fenix solve the accidental activation issue, since the button is quite sensitive. It works fine when clipped to a pocket or something, but is not suitable for pocket carry.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, it still comes on medium first. The overall length of E05 body + LD02 head is ~68 mm. By the way, when turned on the LD02 with its original body works as a twisty light too, thanks to the anodized threads. You can turn it on/off and change modes by unscrewing the head a quarter of a turn.

Even better!

Thanks Swede74 for this review. I like mine a lot and I too would have like a sturdier clip. I also would like to see Fenix solve the accidental activation issue, since the button is quite sensitive. It works fine when clipped to a pocket or something, but is not suitable for pocket carry.

Could always do one of the above- leave it clicked "on", and use it as a twisty to turn it off & on, or put it on an e05 to solve tailstanding & accidental activation prevention in one step. cycle thru twist isn't much fun though, if you need the modes. Just glad it starts on medium.

Ishango

Enlightened
Yes, but then I could just use my LD01. :) The clicky in my opinion should have been more like that of the Streamlight Microstream which doesn't have this problem. Other than that it's a great light.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice report and although i am a huge Fenix fan the levels are useless to me.High is fine but to drop to mid at 75% no way better at 50% and the low is to much would prefer like the other posters a moonlight or my term a menu reading mode.

If i buy it it will because i am just a Fenix fan but going to try to resist the purchase.

Swede74

Enlightened
Yes, but then I could just use my LD01. :) The clicky in my opinion should have been more like that of the Streamlight Microstream which doesn't have this problem. Other than that it's a great light.

I personally wouldn't want a firmer switch (I don't know if the Streamlight Microstream has a firmer switch compared to the LD02) but I wouldn't mind slightly longer switch travel if it helps prevent accidental activation.

Swede74

Enlightened
Nice report and although i am a huge Fenix fan the levels are useless to me.High is fine but to drop to mid at 75% no way better at 50% and the low is to much would prefer like the other posters a moonlight or my term a menu reading mode.

If i buy it it will because i am just a Fenix fan but going to try to resist the purchase.

I know what you mean, and seeing that they have been churning out new models lately, I wouldn't be surprised if we had to try to resist another one soon. Hopefully one that has the moonlight / menu reading mode so many members have been asking for.

mhohisel

Newly Enlightened
Got mine today. Not sure how I feel... Sturdy light with nice floody beam, but can't tail stand, no moonlight mode, doesn't come with a keychain ring, and sequence is Medium-Low-High. Might end up being a gift for someone this holiday season.

Dry-cell

Enlightened
If Fenix would include an accessory that enables the light to tail stand, I'm sure they would make more sales. It does have it's pro's and cons when comparing it to the Fenix LD01, but I'm looking forward to receiving it in the mail.

techwg

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got mine today. I am very happy with it, although for me it will not be an EDC because I cannot put it on my key-ring. As usual I made a video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4a9MwMHfc

It is a great go-to light but I think, at least for my needs, the E05 2014 is a better EDC light. If it was possible to attach a keyring as with the E05 then I would EDC the LD02 because I love the fact that it starts on medium mode.

Mrwunderful

Newly Enlightened
I love my little LD02, just hate that damn clip. As far as a keychain light though, its outstanding.

Great review and pics too.

Swede74

Enlightened
Nice to see this thread brought back to life, and thank you for commenting.

Got mine today. Not sure how I feel... Sturdy light with nice floody beam, but can't tail stand, no moonlight mode, doesn't come with a keychain ring, and sequence is Medium-Low-High. Might end up being a gift for someone this holiday season.

I got mine today. I am very happy with it, although for me it will not be an EDC because I cannot put it on my key-ring. As usual I made a video review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi4a9MwMHfc

It is a great go-to light but I think, at least for my needs, the E05 2014 is a better EDC light. If it was possible to attach a keyring as with the E05 then I would EDC the LD02 because I love the fact that it starts on medium mode.

If this had a forward clicky, I'd own one... :)

I love my little LD02, just hate that damn clip. As far as a keychain light though, its outstanding. Great review and pics too.

Agreed on most fronts. My preferred mode sequence is low-med-high but I can see how med-low-high makes more sense for those who use med most of the time. Momentary on (forward clicky) would be nice, as would the ability to attach it to a key chain. My pet peeve with this light is the lack of a moonlight mode - 8 lumen is often way too much for dark adapted eyes when you look at something close-up. As for the clip, although I rarely use it myself I would prefer a more secure one. I have never really trusted a clip-on style clip.

If Fenix would include an accessory that enables the light to tail stand, I'm sure they would make more sales. It does have it's pro's and cons when comparing it to the Fenix LD01, but I'm looking forward to receiving it in the mail.

e12clip_KL2.jpg

Not ideal, but works in a... pinch ;)