*new* Fenix PD35, upgraded to 960 lumens!

colight

Enlightened
Fenix PD35 is upgraded to 960 lumens!

·Cree XM-L 2 (U2) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
·Uses one 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery or two 3V CR123A Lithium batteries

·139mm (Length) x 25.4mm (Diameter)
·87-gram weight (excluding the battery)
·Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness

2_zps1d470b4a.jpg

3_zpsae5feb06.jpg

4_zps4f5e622d.jpg

Last edited:

FlashLion

Enlightened
The current version is measured 980 lumens. I think upgraded is just their description,or maybe it will be 100 lumen more output than before.:D I personally would like to see a good low mode in the new PD35.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
..... I personally would like to see a good low mode in the new PD35.

I seriously don't understand Fenix's mode spacing lately - this light has 5 mode slots (nice), but forfeits a decent low mode(s) in favor of crazy close 2-3x mode spacing? 8 lumen lows on a 1xAAA? OK, I understand moonlight mode is connoisseur's thing, but seriously, is this what appeals to the general public? If we closed your eyes and played "Russian Roulette" with the mode switch, I bet we'd all incorrectly guess which mode the light was on over half the time ;).

markr6

Flashaholic
nice! massive upgrade. now it will fall out of regulation faster :D

LOL!! But yeah, 850lm to 960lm is NOTHING. Maybe impressive on paper. If anyone has another light with similar spacing, go try it and actually SEE (or don't) the difference.

I seriously don't understand Fenix's mode spacing lately - this light has 5 mode slots (nice), but forfeits a decent low mode(s) in favor of crazy close 2-3x mode spacing? 8 lumen lows on a 1xAAA? OK, I understand moonlight mode is connoisseur's thing, but seriously, is this what appeals to the general public? If we closed your eyes and played "Russian Roulette" with the mode switch, I bet we'd all incorrectly guess which mode the light was on over half the time ;).

Exactly, exactly, exactly!! NEEDS a 1lm mode. After that, maybe 3 additional modes max. "More is better, right?" Well, at least to the consumer pulling the trigger on whatever has the most modes and highest lumens without any regard to anything else. Get your pinky finger a good workout cycling thru 5 modes. :mad:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL!! But yeah, 850lm to 960lm is NOTHING. Maybe impressive on paper. If anyone has another light with similar spacing, go try it and actually SEE (or don't) the difference.

Exactly, exactly, exactly!! NEEDS a 1lm mode. After that, maybe 3 additional modes max. "More is better, right?" Well, at least to the consumer pulling the trigger on whatever has the most modes and highest lumens without any regard to anything else. Get your pinky finger a good workout cycling thru 5 modes. :mad:

yep it's nothing especially with thermal sag and battery voltage sag. factor in component tolerances and LED binning and you might even end up with a flashlight that is weaker in the real world than the 850 lumen version. no kidding

actually we already are at the limit of what an XML2 and 18650 can deliver. this is basically it. the next-gen flashlights would be triple XP-L driven hard by a Sony VTC5 or Panny BD

markr6

Flashaholic
yep it's nothing especially with thermal sag and battery voltage sag. factor in component tolerances and LED binning and you might even end up with a flashlight that is weaker in the real world than the 850 lumen version. no kidding

actually we already are at the limit of what an XML2 and 18650 can deliver. this is basically it. the next-gen flashlights would be triple XP-L driven hard by a Sony VTC5 or Panny BD

The nice thing is that this current limit provides way more than I need (but of course, there's always more room for what we "want"). I rarely use my lights at full power.

My next purchase will probably be a dedicated thrower. Still holding out for some reason.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Though I am always happy to see "new and improved", the current PD35 satisfies me just fine. I have been around long enough to remember with the old Surefire 6P was "killer". And it pushed out 65 lumens of yellow light, was not regulated, and the filament broke when you dropped it. And you got to replace battery every hour and the bulb every 10 hours. So fast forward 15 years, and we have 850 lumens of regulated, white light in a smaller package with an LED that never breaks or has to be replaced. And a rechargeable battery.

So new and improved is fine, but I try to never forget how far we have come from the good old days. It helps me not care that much about a 10% increase in output, because I remember how far we have come.

Gator762

Enlightened

I think you're really blaming our eye's perception of light more than the flashlight. ;)

I just got a PD35 2014 edition, and the steps do seem to make sense. The eco of 14 lumens is pretty bright, you could go lower but you're already at 150 hours of rated runtime, probably longer with a 3400mAh battery. At 8 hours a day, I could go camping for 3 straight weeks and not have to change the battery. Besides the Zombie Apocalypse, what's the point of extending the run time beyond that?

And you mentioned it on the AAA - moonlight is a flashaholic thing. I doubt the demand is there. I've EDC carried AAA lights for years now, and used on camping trips. 8-15 lumen low is a decent, useable level. EDC I only have to change the battery about once a month, and for camping, I'm set with one spare AAA (although I always carry a few). I would bet almost all the non-flashaholics would find the moonlight level annoying - having to twisty it twice to turn it on, or to skip past that mode.

markr6

Flashaholic
I would bet almost all the non-flashaholics would find the moonlight level annoying - having to twisty it twice to turn it on, or to skip past that mode.

Basically summed up Fenix UI right there no matter what the lumen level. At least the side switch selector. CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

I do not think this light is aimed at the general public but at informed enthusiasts or seasoned professional users,the low is far to high imo it needs a moon mode for serious night use.

markr6

Flashaholic
I do not think this light is aimed at the general public but at informed enthusiasts or seasoned professional users,the low is far to high imo it needs a moon mode for serious night use.

I agree. And using a super low mode while camping in a tent or walking the house at night to check on the baby are hardly tasks reserved for "enthusiasts" or "professionals". Just good to have on a multi-mode flashlight.

kaikoakh29

Newly Enlightened
And fenix underrated there lumens By 80-100 lumens

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think you're really blaming our eye's perception of light more than the flashlight. ;)

I just got a PD35 2014 edition, and the steps do seem to make sense. The eco of 14 lumens is pretty bright, you could go lower but you're already at 150 hours of rated runtime, probably longer with a 3400mAh battery. At 8 hours a day, I could go camping for 3 straight weeks and not have to change the battery. Besides the Zombie Apocalypse, what's the point of extending the run time beyond that?

And you mentioned it on the AAA - moonlight is a flashaholic thing. I doubt the demand is there. I've EDC carried AAA lights for years now, and used on camping trips. 8-15 lumen low is a decent, useable level. EDC I only have to change the battery about once a month, and for camping, I'm set with one spare AAA (although I always carry a few). I would bet almost all the non-flashaholics would find the moonlight level annoying - having to twisty it twice to turn it on, or to skip past that mode.

Actually I just prefer it when manufacturers design their mode spacing around our eye's perception of light ;).

I didn't mention anything about runtime, I just prefer the ability to perform some close task work without the painful glare and having my eyes stop down/losing my night vision. Doesn't need to be moonlight mode, especially for a larger, heavier light like this, but something in the 2-5 lm range would be great, particular for use in dark environments like camping, and indoors with reflective walls/carpeting.

However, I do think the 8 lms lows on their AAA/AAs models are a waste of energy for what ARE limited capacity cells. But look at it this way, the E12's 8 lm low is a huge step from its predecessor's 32 lm low :D.