whats the pro/con of TK35UE vs ld50

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
TK35UE vs ld50

both have same batteries, both have same max lumen, both are simliar in price.

whats the pro/con of each one? i want to get a nice 1800 lumen light and dont know which one...

kj2

Flashaholic
I would say, watch some videos on the TK35UE and read some reviews. Wait for reviews/videos on the LD50, and then make a choice.

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
TK35UE vs ld50

both have same batteries, both have same max lumen, both are simliar in price.

whats the pro/con of each one? i want to get a nice 1800 lumen light and dont know which one...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...8650-4xCR123A)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME-VIDEO

TK35UE-Restart.gif

that's really crappy regulation

plastic carrier, old design

not much brighter than the much smaller Foursevens Maelstrom MMU-X3

not as bright as the Eagletac SX25L3 or Olight SR mini

don't buy it

kj2

Flashaholic
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...8650-4xCR123A)-Review-BEAMSHOTS-RUNTIME-VIDEO
don't buy it
Regulation isn't that good indeed (when I see Selfbuilt's chart). That plastic carrier never failed on me, The switch (on my TK35 I had) did. Nothing wrong with re-using a good design ;)
It isn't all about brightness. Have compared the SR Mini against the TK35UE. Of course the TK35UE has better color rendering because of the NW led. Also it has more throw, then the SR Mini, if you need throw.
It's all about user preference.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast

feifei

Banned

TK35UE-Restart.gif

don't buy it

He uses the 2200 mAh battery to test it.
Don't know what do you mean by "not as bright as the Eagletac SX25L3 or Olight SR mini"?
But neutral white led looks not as bright as cool white led at the same brightness level.
TK35UE-Hi-Hioutput.gif

all these comparisons are taking into account different numbers of 18650 cells. But the 2x18650 Fenix TK35UE actually manages to do pretty well for the class, nearing the runtime performance of some of the larger lights.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regulation isn't that good indeed (when I see Selfbuilt's chart). That plastic carrier never failed on me, The switch (on my TK35 I had) did. Nothing wrong with re-using a good design ;)
It isn't all about brightness. Have compared the SR Mini against the TK35UE. Of course the TK35UE has better color rendering because of the NW led. Also it has more throw, then the SR Mini, if you need throw.
It's all about user preference.

i wouldn't call it a good design ;) that's why almost all current models don't use carriers anymore. not a deal-breaker though...

sx25l3 throws better, is brighter, is smaller than TK35UE ;)

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well you have to be fair. The SR Mini is a 3 18650 light and you have to hold down the button for burst. Don't know much about the SX25L3 so I can't say about that light.

I do think the LD50 has the potential to be a real killer of a light. Can't wait for the first good reviews.

just take the SR Mini out for a walk and you'll discover why the UI is so great ;) light up your path with LOW or MED. when you wanna illuminate something farther away just hold the button to get MAX. release to go back to your previous level. works really really well i tell you

this involves cycling through the modes on other flashlights

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
He uses the 2200 mAh battery to test it.
Don't know what do you mean by "not as bright as the Eagletac SX25L3 or Olight SR mini"?
But neutral white led looks not as bright as cool white led at the same brightness level.

all these comparisons are taking into account different numbers of 18650 cells. But the 2x18650 Fenix TK35UE actually manages to do pretty well for the class, nearing the runtime performance of some of the larger lights.

LOL it means TK35 puts out 2000 selfbuilt lumens. SX25L3 gets 2550. SR Mini gets 2800. get it?

the much smaller MMU-X3 gets 1700

of course when regulation is crappy you get long runtime albeit at low levels

2x 18650 is EXACTLY the reason why it sucks coz MT-G2 has high Vf. and the carrier design means that it's actually larger than the 3x 18650 SX25L3

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
ok...so i guess the choice is between sr mini, ld50, and eagle sx25L3...They all seem similarly priced at under $150...do they all take the same amount of cr123 batteries? are they all similar size and weight?

kj2

Flashaholic

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL it means TK35 puts out 2000 selfbuilt lumens. SX25L3 gets 2550. SR Mini gets 2800. get it?

the much smaller MMU-X3 gets 1700

of course when regulation is crappy you get long runtime albeit at low levels

2x 18650 is EXACTLY the reason why it sucks coz MT-G2 has high Vf. and the carrier design means that it's actually larger than the 3x 18650 SX25L3

Yes, TK35UE has higher max output than 2x18650 can handle. Therefore it should be better if it had a max output of ~1400lm, it should provide stable output for an hour or so. OR that TK35UE had been runned by 3x18650.

Enlightened
3400mah cells will give pretty much the same curve, just on a longer time scale
Judging by the trace in sub's TK35UE review, turbo is regulated just fine until the battery voltage gets too low for the driver. That would be why 2200mah cells perform so poorly. I am guessing it would be better with cells that have flatter discharge curves like the LG D1 ICR's.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because LD50 can be runned with only one battery and one LED, the question is if each LED is powered by each cell undependently. If that's the case it means you don't need to use two matched cells, but you can run it with different mAh capacity if so needed. Or why not one 17670 and one 18650. Then it would be a pro for LD50: just mix any 3,7V cell with right length. Apart from that flat design may be an advantage.

Any information about that?

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Because LD50 can be runned with only one battery and one LED, the question is if each LED is powered by each cell undependently. If that's the case it means you don't need to use two matched cells, but you can run it with different mAh capacity if so needed. Or why not one 17670 and one 18650. Then it would be a pro for LD50: just mix any 3,7V cell with right length. Apart from that flat design may be an advantage.

Any information about that?

It seems that's the case, but we will have to see from reviews. I would like to know exactly how it works, but somehow the light seems to either direct it to function off of two cells or just one. It obviously won't be able to get up to the 1800 lumens off a single 18650. There is something interesting going on as the light only has one on/off/mode switch.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
It could possibly be a 3 circuit design. Not that this kind of thing is a strong subject to me, but looking at it in a black and white perspective, if you have two independent circuits that you need to function as a single unit then use a third circuit to control them at the same time. As long as the information in both circuits meets a certain criteria then they are both used. If one of the circuits shows that the battery is drained to a certain point then the third circuit simply never uses it.

It's like programming a formula in excel that uses multiple cells based off of there conditional formatting. If some of those cells do not have a value greater than 3.7 in this case, then they simply don't get used in the equation. :shrug: Not sure if that applies to circuits though.

If it does work like that, I wonder how much efficiency is lost to all of that overhead to run the circuitry.

Another interesting thought would be if the circuit will use both cells if they are both above 3.7v but not equal to each other. It would make sense that it could do that since each LED is being independently driven by its own battery supposedly. Could be interesting to see one side of your light dimming before the other side because you used a 2200mah in one tube and a 3400mah in the other.

It would definitely solve any complications that can occur from using more than one 18650 in a single light and reverse charging one. I wonder if an idea like that could be implemented in a battery carrier and if it would work for cells run in series. Imagine a light like the TK35UE that detects when the voltage between two cells has too large of a gap and simply cuts the lowest voltage cell out of the circuit, dropping the light output in the process.

jmsodpc

Newly Enlightened
Well.....i did it. I sold off three of my lesser flashlights on ebay and placed an order for a fenix ld50 and a thrunite keychain light.

Now i wait a couple weeks for delivery