Recomend Me a Light For Camping!

Chawchip

Newly Enlightened
1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
I would prefer to purchase from a store in San Diego because I need it for a camping trip next weekend. Unless it can be had online before next weekend.

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $50.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
I would like a light from a specialty manufacturer (Possibly limited run/Custom).

7) What power source do you want to use?
I'm not sure.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).
I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)
30-50 yards/meters (I have a big backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
The longer it runs the better. I would hate to be walking the woods at night, and my flashlight dies. I don't really know what is reasonable here.

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I don't know.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I don't know.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
I don't know.

15) Water resistance
I need to be able to use it in the rain.

16) Storage conditions
Stored at home, and used for camping maybe 3 to 4 times a year.

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
LIGHTWEIGHT.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any decent outdoor store will have plenty of lights that meet your requirements,our biggest in the UK have a good sale on at the moment including a good range of lights as i bought 2 Swiss Army knives this week so checked out the lights whilst in there.My theory is as Team America do everything bigger than the UK you should be sorted.

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not familiar with what is available in San Diego but there is plenty of time to get a light mail ordered to you before next weekend if you order on Monday. Most of the lights I buy are shipped very quickly and come in 2 to 3 days. I'm starting to see some Labor Day Sale coupons showing up for the online vendors.

First of all what type of batteries do you want it to run off? If you are new getting into LED lights then probably AA batteries. That is kind of the bonifide old time standard which gives good value and fairly decent output, but after a couple of years into this hobby, I migrated also into 18650 rechargeable lithium ion batteries and love those type of lights, but that is a different story. Each light has different appeal. If your camping is strictly car camping and not backpacking, then you can get a bigger light.

I don't have much in the way of 2AA lights but I did see this on CPF marketplace forum the other day........Streamlight 2AA light for $30.00
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...c-2aa-flashlight&highlight=streamlight+protac

If you can afford the Sunwayman D40A (4xAA).....around $59, that will impress everyone in the camp. I take that when car camping.......lots of fun with that light :eek:oo:.

Lots of choices out there but the local hardware stores aren't going to be carrying a lot of the lights that are talked about on CPF.

dss_777

Enlightened
There are several REI stores in your area- I'd look for anything by Nitecore or Fenix in 2xAA that's in your price range and appeals to you. With the way light tech has progressed, any of these lights will impress you with their performance.

I'd also suggest lithium AA disposables- more expensive, but have long storage life, are lighter, and are not going to leak and destroy your light while in the glove box or in storage between trips.

That being said, I think a headlamp is much more useful for camping than a handheld. I'd even try and get one of each- maybe add a little Petzl Tikkina or such for cooking, camp chores, reading, heading to the, uh, head.... etc.