Xtar VC2 Charger

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xtar continues to release tons of new chargers, all similar to older models, every year.

That's pretty good for a company.

Users will like the great range of offers. It's the best.

Hopefully they can double the amount of charger models by the end of next year.

ven

Flashaholic
Agree,Xtar certainly seem on top of their game with chargers,it looks a real good charger and going off previous there is no reason to doubt. Makes a great alternative to other 2 channel chargers but my 2 gripes would be max 0.5A charge instead of 1A or even more..........and no nimh option still.

Other than that:thumbsup:

UnderPar

Enlightened
Agree,Xtar certainly seem on top of their game with chargers,it looks a real good charger and going off previous there is no reason to doubt. Makes a great alternative to other 2 channel chargers but my 2 gripes would be max 0.5A charge instead of 1A or even more..........and no nimh option still.

Totally agree on your gripes ven.

Enlightened
I don't think the low charge rates can be helped as long as they want widest USB compatibility.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
When USB 3.1 finally becomes available we should see some nice chargers due to its increased power handling. Having a standard for this will help.

Seems like the VC2 charger though should support higher charge rates on a 2.1A USB power brick, they should automatically detect the different high output usb sources and alter the selection accordingly and it could detect when source is not sufficient incase people use cheater cords on low wattage source.

ven

Flashaholic
I like Xtar,in fact i will go as far as saying they make my fav chargers i own..........but i still feel like it could have been more like the vp4 could have been more.........

Close,just for me not close enough..............and i do feel a little let down in honesty.

For now i will continue using my vp1 and vp2 side by side (wp6 for more cells) and await a vp4 II or a vp6 with all the options(hint hint Xtar)

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast

Agreed. Half an amp is simply too low for higher capacity batteries like 26650s or even higher capacity 18650s. For that matter, even 1A is low for 26650s like the Keeppower 5200 (and this is one way even the VP2 falls short). Like someone else said, make it compatible with higher current USB sources (like, say, an iPad wall wart) so that it can charge higher capacity batteries more rapidly.

ven

Flashaholic
Its not perfect hence gripes,but at $20 it seems very good value for anyone wanting to charge a small amount of cells or single cell lights etc.........

I would like an option of even a $50-$70 charger,pretty much 4 or 6 bays,with maybe a 0.1/0.25/0.5/1/2A option

Split into 2,so i can charge a 14500 for example at 0.5A and an 18650 at 1A at same time,instead of both at 0.5A as too high on 1A for a 14500............

Still stand by 2x vp2 chargers or as i have done a vp1 and vp2,just be nice for one plug for ease and work top tidiness..........

Just my opinion of course,the vp4 was close..............just needs some little extra features to make a good charger fantastic!!!! even if its a $20+ premium

If i needed a twin bay charger for a few single cell lights,this would be up there for a cheap option,but for a few $ more the vp1 is also a better option with the 1A charge.......

If anyone can make a pretty almost perfect charger Xtar can!!!!! they pretty much did with the vp2..........just more bays and nimh support=win win imho

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
If anyone can make a pretty almost perfect charger Xtar can!!!!! they pretty much did with the vp2..........just more bays and nimh support=win win imho

Unless, of course, you're trying to charge high capacity 26650s. If so, the SP1/SP2 is a better choice.

I like where Xtar is going with this USB charger and hope they have an advanced Li-ion / LiFePO / NiMH model in the pipeline, preferably compatible with the now rather common 2A+ USB chargers to boost the charging times of the bigger 18650's.

You have to be careful here. Many 18650s (such as the Panasonics) can't take a 2A charge.

Last edited:

Aperture

Newly Enlightened
You have to be careful here. Many 18650s (such as the Panasonics) can't take a 2A charge.
I know, I was talking about the USB input amps. With the 12W USB chargers (like the iPad charger) which are as powerful as the 12V 1A chargers Xtar commonly uses it seems silly to limit an advanced version of the VC2 to just 5W USB input as it limits the charging current per cell to just 0.5A, ok for a non power selectable "for dummies" charger but a little on the slow side for an "advanced user" charger which should have the option to charge at 1A (besides 0.25 & 0.5A).

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Unless, of course, you're trying to charge high capacity 26650s. If so, the SP1/SP2 is a better choice.

I do have an sp1 and its a great value for money charger with up to 2A settings,for single cell charge its hard to beat imho bang for buck:thumbsup:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would pre-order one, but you need to spend $50 for free shipping, and they don't have anything else I want right now. what to do :)

Aperture

Newly Enlightened
I received the VC2 today (eBay UK) and was pleasantly surprised, the charger is well made and feels very solid, the slides work very smooth and the screen is very cool.

The advertised weight was spot on, it measure 109 grams kitchen scale.

If there's anything you guys want to know just ask.