Can the Cree 4Flow run safely and effectively with the cover removed?

ItzRav

Newly Enlightened
I bought two of the new Cree 4Flow 60W-equivalent bulbs today, intending to use them in a totally enclosed ceiling fan light globe. Two similarly sized incandescent 60W bulbs had fit. But the two Cree bulbs were just slightly longer and thus too tight a fit. (These are A19 size; I had tried to find A15's in the 800 lumen range but couldn't find any.)

If I could remove just the top part of the cover, I think they would fit. Is it safe to run these bulbs with the cover removed, and will they run effectively? If so, what is the best way to remove the cover? I don't need to uncover the electronics in the base, and really only NEED to remove the top half or so. Since there are large air vents at the top, I figured it shouldn't make too much difference in how it runs. But if running them that way would be unsafe or mess up how the bulb performs, then I'll just have to use them elsewhere. Thanks.

CoveAxe

Enlightened
FWIW, the cover is just there so you can't touch the bare electronics and high voltage lines, and also to diffuse the light a bit. It's not recommended to run these without the cover for safety reasons, but there is no reason the light won't function without it. If you had to remove anything, remove as little as little.

ItzRav

Newly Enlightened
OP here. To follow-up, if anyone cares: First, thanks for the advice, CoveAxe. Using a diamond wheel Dremel cutting attachment, I first removed just the tippy top of each bulb (the portion that is mostly vent anyway), then used a can of blow-off to remove any stray particles, but that didn't make enough room in the fixture. So I removed another 1/2" or so all the way around the top, and unfortunately that didn't make enough room either (the innards of the bulb began to be in the way, too). The bulbs themselves continued to work great, but they were starting to become more unsafe the more cover I removed. So I have given up this little project, which at least was a learning experience. I will just have to wait however long it is until LED bulb manufacturers start making higher lumen A15 bulbs.