Olight M2X-UT Javelot review (1020lm,XM-L2 Dedomed,18650/2xCR123A 810m throw!!!)

viperxp

Enlightened
Greetings All,

Current review will be dedicated to a new very interesting flashlight from Olight, the Olight M2X-UT Javelot.

So, what's so special about it and why I think it's the flashlight of the year?

ibyJpCG5aW02oB.jpg
iL3sldmKElY6v.jpg
ibfch1DEOZuMCX.jpg

1. It's a first flashlight from a famous well-known flashlight company that is equipped with a dedomed LED
2. While being relatively compact, and using only one 18650 battery it greatly overthrows any other light that uses one battery (and most 3-4 battery flashlights as well)
3. The price - the flashlight can be purchased for about 100$ or even less at the time the review is published - I consider it a great value for money.

What Do I mean by dedomed??

First of all, I would like to explain what dedomed means, because I am sure that not all readers know the meaning and what does it actually good for.
Well, LED emits the light (Light Emmitting Diode) and usually the LED is covered by protective silicon lens, that is called the dome. Many custom flashlight builders and some enthusiasts developed several methods of removing the dome. Removing the dome usually gives a flashlight a better throw, at expense of poorer side spill. Because in case of the M2X-UT it already comes dedomed you get highly customized flashlight from the factory, and manufacturers warranty as well.

Tech Specs
ibxq0fY91UO9x9.PNG

Ready?

ibuCW5f2E9cFgh.jpg
iVU7HPGz34jcA.jpg

I received the review sample in a carton box containing only the flashlight itself.

iyKCQh3tw6hI7.PNG

The normal bundle consists of the flashlight, warranty coupon, holster, lanyard and an adapter for using two CR123A cells. The holster will be handy, because 63 mm head diameter light will be very difficult to put in most pockets.

ilY6NNMHLvv60.jpg
iHmftTPCsq1ec.jpg

Here it is. In real life it was even more compact than I thought. Like Olight M22, but with much bigger head. By the way - it's nicely balanced - the head is not too heavy relative to the tail of the light.

iGamFSj0KYpDh.jpg
i3H8Bqg1275fJ.jpg
iPbrF7YalGm1e.jpg
iEplNl5JsY73L.jpg

Here it is, the head. At first, there is a feeling that Olight forgot to put the lens. But it is there, the anti-reflective coating works. No fingerprints/dust particles/bubbles were found under or on the lens.

iKdYEw28QZWTZ.jpg

Notice the LED - looks exactly like on the Olight commercials. Notice the die - it's also not exactly regular.

ibi6E0zzVmVfuh.jpg
iEpfWLEViDTWg.jpg
ilgerZdeBoM8g.jpg
ijQNHkdVLgKwD.jpg

The flashlight consists of 3 parts. All made really well and solid - I repeat myself - it has the same solid feeling as M22, but with bigger head. Tailcap from M22 fits M2X-UT and wise-verse, but the head don't.
The threads at the tail are square-cut and anodised, at the front of the flashlight triangle shaped and not anodized. There is some strong spring in the tailcap.

ibrhjgT13QlbWe.jpg

By the way - I tried to disassemble the head by rotating the bezel - and it gave away pretty easily - I was using just my bare hands, no tools. So, the flashlight might be improved further more. I don't want to disassemble it at this point.

iK7z8J5cvhmbB.jpg
i9IH5eNuQ7sWX.jpg

Here is a small comparison with the M22 Warrior. There is similarity in the overall appearance.

ibxLNfZtzbStxX.jpg
iIMZStumbccDI.jpg

Here is some evil compatitor - the Supbeam (Acebeam) K50V2

iCvMvFrWd0X1P.jpg
iqcFelEmAuQ7Y.jpg

Some acrobatics

Using the flashlight

izGhywtq6T6JK.jpg
ibb2gbmQLZBoYS.jpg

The flashlight is controlled by a button located at the tailcup and rotating the head. Pretty easy, not too much modes. There is a step-down, like in most other flashlights today.
M2X-UT first gets warm in the integrated radiator, and after that all the flashlight gets warm. It's not very hot, just very warm. No PWM, no noises were emitted by the flashlight.

Some Numbers

Flashlight/ModeLowMidHighTurbo
Olight M2X300033000110000
SupBeam K50 V2525350090000110000
Olight SR963200 (450 lm)9800 (1500 lm)33000 (4800 lm)
Olight M22 Warrior (950 lm)430-750019500
Jetbeam SRA 40 (960 lm)660-780031500
Convoy L4 (1000 lm)-12001300030000

Numbers don't lie, and I can tell you that the flashlight has the same hotspot, and overall light distribution like the Supbeam, just with a very different tint. The tint (after the usual dedoming side effect - the tint shift) is neutral-warm, in life it looks prettier than on the pictures. Anyway much prettier than the usual XM-L2 U2 CW LED, imho.

Show me the money!

iqM74NeWjuyNZ.jpg

The M22 on the left, M2X-UT on the right. Notice the sharp edges between hotspot and the spill that M2X-UT has.

i7uSURQTizLH5.jpg

Supbeam K50 V2 on the left, Olight M2X-UT on the right. Same sharp hotspot, just a very different tint.
ibpCfPhi0eWTeW.jpg

ibf5D7LWAseQnL.jpg

iuQxv9XYpohKB.jpg

iXRceP6HlsBAG.jpg

Some games with the exposure settings.

Stabilization

Voltage (without load)Brightness
4.09 110000
4.04 110000
3.93 86000
3,86 83000
3.78 83000
3.74 83000
3.7 73000

I've measured the voltage after removing the battery from the flashlight. The battery - Sanyo 2600 mah. The maximum brightness was the same when I used the sanyo, xtar 3100/3400 protected and Xtar RCR123Ax2. When the battery voltage became low, the flashlight switched to flashling mode. In this case I measured 3.2 volts on the cell.

Conclusions

This flashlight just outdated most of the throwers, one fine day. I hope other manufacturers will follow Olight with this trend of using dedomed led's. I think the flashlight is great, very close to an ideal flashlight (thrower type off course), closer than any other stock thrower that I know of today.

The flashlight was provided by Olight for review.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for reading, hope I assisted you in some way.

Taz80

Enlightened
Thank you for the review. I noticed you tried it with 2 Xtar RCR123 batteries. Is 8.4 volts officially supported?

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it me or the tint looks like a green lantern? Thanks for the review.

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the review.

When does step down happen? 5 minutes?

A timed or thermal step down?

Are you able to return to max right away by switching modes or turning it off?

Thanks,,,,,,,,

jeff400650

Newly Enlightened
I have one on the way to me. Maybe now I will will be able to tell if the eye shines in the hills are deer or coyotes or...?

Did you shine it in the distance? Impressive? I just got the SWM T40CS plus and really like it for general use, but was a bit disappointed in the throw. It is not significantly longer than my SRT7.

Last edited:

viperxp

Enlightened
Thanks for the review.

When does step down happen? 5 minutes?

A timed or thermal step down?

Are you able to return to max right away by switching modes or turning it off?

Thanks,,,,,,,,

Time-based stepdown. You can get back to max right after stepdown.

viperxp

Enlightened
I have one on the way to me. Maybe now I will will be able to tell if the eye shines in the hills are deer or coyotes or...?

Did you shine it in the distance? Impressive? I just got the SWM T40CS plus and really like it for general use, but was a bit disappointed in the throw. It is not significantly longer than my SRT7.

Yep, very impressive, almost unbelievable for it's size and weight.

Taz80

Enlightened
Thank you viperxp, I'm hoping the extender for my M3X will fit and I can run it on two 18500's.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
great thanks !
i wish olight would sell extenders for the M series.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Very impressive numbers for this small light as a thrower. I planned not to do another light purchase anymore until early next year. But this is really very tempting.