Fujitsu Develops LED Lighting Technology that Shines Data on Objects

slebans

Enlightened
Most people on this board have probably heard of LED based LiFi technology - but this is a completely different take on the data possibilities utilizing an LED light source. Well worth reading!

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/press-releases/2014/1117-01.html

SNIP
By embedding data in light in a way that it is not detectable to the naked eye, an object that has been illuminated can convey data to a smartphone or other smart device. With previous technologies, data could only be conveyed to a user's area, but with this technology, data can be conveyed at the level of an individual object. To capture the data, a user only needs to point a camera at the object. This technology enables products in a store, works of art, people, buildings and a variety of other objects to be the source of data transmission.

SemiMan

Banned
Most people on this board have probably heard of LED based LiFi technology - but this is a completely different take on the data possibilities utilizing an LED light source. Well worth reading!

http://www.fujitsu.com/global/about/resources/news/press-releases/2014/1117-01.html

SNIP
By embedding data in light in a way that it is not detectable to the naked eye, an object that has been illuminated can convey data to a smartphone or other smart device. With previous technologies, data could only be conveyed to a user's area, but with this technology, data can be conveyed at the level of an individual object. To capture the data, a user only needs to point a camera at the object. This technology enables products in a store, works of art, people, buildings and a variety of other objects to be the source of data transmission.

Interesting, using color shift modulation as opposed to intensity modulation and then using a camera to decode the color modulation based on changes in object color. It sounds cool, but I believe the data rate would be limited to 3bits/frame * what is likely to be a small modulation depth, perhaps another 2-4 bits? If someone read deeper into the patent, I would be interested in what they find out.

slebans

Enlightened
I am also interested in the amount of data that can be resolved with their invention. I would guess the App running on the user's smartphone only requires a pointer to a data store(URL et.) so the total amount of data to be encoded is trivial.

I did not see a link to a patent nor did a quick search via Google Patents return anything. Do you have a link?