Which charger XTAR VP4 or Nitecore D4

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Out of these two chargers which one will you take.

The XTAR might be a good quality charger but the only negative thing about it is that it will only charge LiIon batts and not NiMH AA's or AAA's

The Nitecore D2 or D4 is a more universal charger, also has a nice LCD display and supports more battery types such as LiIOns and Nimh and NiCd type batts.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Personally, I don't use universal chargers in charging NiMH batteries. I have a separate charger for that kind of battery. Between the two, if you could purchase a separate NiMH chargers, I would go for the Xtar VP4. If you want a 4-bay charger with 1 amp capacity on all bays, then 2 VP2 is the answer.

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
Hi I actually use a Maha 9000 to do my NiMH Eneloops and also my Imedion batteries have had it for about 5 years now and has been a very good charger and reliable too.

My LiIon charger is actually a XTAR VP1 but i was thinking of getting the VP2 or VP4 either one, sound stupid I know but I like the Green/red LED indicator for each batt on top of the device the VP1 never had that.

Re the VP4 doesnt it charge at 1amp capacity.

I am currently charging a 18650 KeepPower batt in my VP1 and I charge at 0.25A

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i see your confusion mate sorry

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
For the money the vp4 does seem good value and imo you cant go wrong with Xtar chargers. The decision for me would be more down to actual use,if you can only buy 1 charger and require nimh charging then the d4 makes more sense. If like me you have a separate charger for nimh cells(i prefer not to have a jack of all trades tbh)then the vp4 out of the 2.

As mentioned,you could get 2x vp2 chargers,of course more $$, but best of both worlds and with better charge rates. If no need for 3.8v option on the vp2(4.35v cells) for charging,then a cheaper option of 2x vp1 chargers. Still charge at .25/.5/1a rates and split due to 2 chargers(could charge 16340 or 14500 at 0.5a and 18650 on the other at 1a as an example) .

tripplec

Enlightened
I have the I4 which was its predecessor. The D4 added the display and you'll not go wrong with it as its a goof proof charger anyone in the family can use without consequences. There is a SC-H4 which I've order although no info here or reviews on it. It looks very good and flexible from the info I googled elsewhere. Its a Soshine charger

Albinoni1967

Enlightened
For the money the vp4 does seem good value and imo you cant go wrong with Xtar chargers. The decision for me would be more down to actual use,if you can only buy 1 charger and require nimh charging then the d4 makes more sense. If like me you have a separate charger for nimh cells(i prefer not to have a jack of all trades tbh)then the vp4 out of the 2.

As mentioned,you could get 2x vp2 chargers,of course more $$, but best of both worlds and with better charge rates. If no need for 3.8v option on the vp2(4.35v cells) for charging,then a cheaper option of 2x vp1 chargers. Still charge at .25/.5/1a rates and split due to 2 chargers(could charge 16340 or 14500 at 0.5a and 18650 on the other at 1a as an example) .

Hi Ven actually I have and use a Maha C9000 for all my NimH's this means my Sanyo and Panasonic Eneloops and also my Imedions as well and have had this charger for 5 yrs now and its been very good.

MrSteveLight

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know if the Nitecore I4 can to LiFePO4 Like the D4 can?

I often read (with hobby chargers) "Mutli chemistry, all chemistries available now, and all future chemistries"
I don't understand how they can advertise "all future chemistries" that takes in a large amount of assumptions there...

However I could see that maybe LiFe would charge in a very similar fashion to Li-Ion or LiPo.
Perhaps the older packaging of the I4 just doesn't advertise LiFe, but it still charges the same?

MrSteveLight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks. I went out to the RC forums to figure this out.
I also decided. As I don't have any LiFe yet. I should grab an i4, save the money and buy the d4 if such a time arises that I need l LiFe.

Then I will just have 8 slot capacity :)

rwfishman

Newly Enlightened
Just curious, I have an I4 2014 Edition but all I charge are 18650 batteries. What is the best and safest charger to use for that battery type and at what point can I feel secure (if ever) leaving the charger charge without me being there?

ven

Flashaholic
Just curious, I have an I4 2014 Edition but all I charge are 18650 batteries. What is the best and safest charger to use for that battery type and at what point can I feel secure (if ever) leaving the charger charge without me being there?

The i4 is a good charger and fine for your use,also the d4(with a nice display which is an advantage at knowing the V)
Imo no charger should be left unattended or on over night as anything can fail! Might be a very low possibility but it's still there. I use various chargers from the Xtar vp1 and vp2 wp6 and i4. All are treated the same regardless of which I may believe is better.....or not. For me,the main attractions are based on brand reliability ,V readout and option to change charge rate . Having the 1a option for 18650 cells makes a difference for me(others may not be bothered in waiting). I also have an Xtar sp1 which has the 2a setting,great for some IMR 26650 cells.

rwfishman

Newly Enlightened
The i4 is a good charger and fine for your use,also the d4(with a nice display which is an advantage at knowing the V)
Imo no charger should be left unattended or on over night as anything can fail! Might be a very low possibility but it's still there. I use various chargers from the Xtar vp1 and vp2 wp6 and i4. All are treated the same regardless of which I may believe is better.....or not. For me,the main attractions are based on brand reliability ,V readout and option to change charge rate . Having the 1a option for 18650 cells makes a difference for me(others may not be bothered in waiting). I also have an Xtar sp1 which has the 2a setting,great for some IMR 26650 cells.

Thanks for the response. All I have now are the 18650 cells. If I added a Xtar charger, which one would you add and how much time would it save me with the charging? I started charging at 6:30pm and fell asleep at 11-11:30 and it still was not charged. Also, I was only charging 1 cell at the time so it was receiving the fullest charge the I4 could supply.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
You mention charging for about 5 hours. What was the starting and finishing voltages you witnessed?
The i4 like the d4 will charge two cells properly inserted in bays 1 and 3 I think @ .5 amps each. Otherwise all 4 bays charge @.375 amps until they get close to the ending voltage.

rwfishman

Newly Enlightened
You mention charging for about 5 hours. What was the starting and finishing voltages you witnessed?
The i4 like the d4 will charge two cells properly inserted in bays 1 and 3 I think @ .5 amps each. Otherwise all 4 bays charge @.375 amps until they get close to the ending voltage.

It was closer to 6 hours of charging time. I believe the starting voltage was 3.1 or 3.12 (I'm using an inexpensive Innova 3320 digital multi-meter which I understood as being all I need for now). The current voltage is 4.13. Since I woke up from a sleep I just removed the charged battery from the charger and didn't check the voltage until the next morning (which I believe was Tuesday morning). I believe the I4 will charge a single battery, or charge 2 batteries in the 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 slots at .750 amps which is what mine should have been charging the single battery at. How much time do you think a XTAR Vp2 would save me? Also, is there a better 18650 battery charger available?
Thanks.