*new* Streamlight Strion HPL appears to be a winner

County

Newly Enlightened
Just got this latest rechargeable offering from SL in today and am impressed by it. 615 lumens, 40,000 candela, 400m beam distance (all FL1 standard). Has high, mid, low, strobe modes. Uses legacy Strion cradle charging system. 1hr runtime on high.

The candela and illumination distance match the earlier gen 250 lumen LED HP, but they have gone with a larger brighter LED. I did side by side comparisons between the HPL and HP. Throw appears to match the LED HP at the distance I tested, (about 800') but with a wider hot spot which I love. Also the corona is much brighter, as advertised.

I really like how lightweight and compact this light is. It is a great "barely notice it in your hip pocket" kind of light. .

Color temp is a cool white.

As an aside, a similar upgrade with higher lumens has happened to the Stinger, available in an HPL model, but its candela and distance illumination have been reduced some from the LED HP model it replaces.

No beam shots or anything scientific here, just casual observations with my own eyes. I leave the detailed stuff to the pros!

Last edited:

ryank17

Newly Enlightened
Just got this latest rechargeable offering from SL in today and am impressed by it. 615 lumens, 40,000 candela, 400m beam distance (all FL1 standard). Has high, mid, low, strobe modes. Uses legacy Strion cradle charging system. 1hr runtime on high.

The candela and illumination distance match the earlier gen 250 lumen LED HP, but they have gone with a larger brighter LED. I did side by side comparisons between the HPL and HP. Throw appears to match the LED HP at the distance I tested, (about 800') but with a wider hot spot which I love. Also the corona is much brighter, as advertised.

I really like how lightweight and compact this light is. It is a great "barely notice it in your hip pocket" kind of light. .

Color temp is a cool white.

As an aside, a similar upgrade with higher lumens has happened to the Stinger, available in an HPL model, but its candela and distance illumination have been reduced some from the LED HP model it replaces.

No beam shots or anything scientific here, just casual observations with my own eyes. I leave the detailed stuff to the pros!

Thanks for a review!
I was trying to get a stinger led hpl but I couldn't find it. where can I get it?
Thanks.

County

Newly Enlightened
Brightguy is where I got the Strion HPL, as of right now looks like the Stinger HPL isn't in yet, but I bet it will be soon. Give them a call or email. They are very responsive.

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have both the Strion HL and Stinger HL. Both good lights. The nice thing about the strion and stinger series is that Streamlight has kept compatibility with the charger, even with the older incan series. Interested to see how much improvement of throw with the larger reflector of the HPL series.

County

Newly Enlightened
I have both the Strion HL and Stinger HL. Both good lights. The nice thing about the strion and stinger series is that Streamlight has kept compatibility with the charger, even with the older incan series. Interested to see how much improvement of throw with the larger reflector of the HPL series.
Very good! I have had both of those myself, and liked them. I think you will be impressed by throw enhancement. It is dramatic.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love the new Strion HPL. Not sure what LED is in it, though. It's not an XM-L. The small yellow "chips" are in a spiral configuration under the dome, instead of the usual square formation.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that is a Cree XP-L. The concentric circles are actually on the dome of the LED.

See misterobotique's post from the Cree XP-L, XM-L performance in an XP size package thread for his excellent photos.

The 3500K inclined photo when enlarged looks just just like dano's top photo to me.

xodinx

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and I am shopping for a new LED flashlight with lithium rechargable batteries. This new Strion looks like to be a good selection. Thanks for the review.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I am not trying to jack the thread but here is an interesting note on another streamlight, the ProTac HL3 with a XM-L2 this is the brightest streamlight I own. but the cool thing is that it runs great on 2 AA batteries also as well on 2 14500 batteries. I made a sleeve for the batteries. it is cool that I have a choice of 4 different batteries with just one light.

Last edited:

C.M.S

Newly Enlightened
Love the Streamlights , but wish they they were better than IPX4 water-resistant.