AA LED light for total flashlight n00b

Scottpants

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone! I started reading a thread about EDC flashlights over on xdtalk.com and found my way here. I'm looking to get a relatively inexpensive LED flashlight to keep in my nightstand. I know very little about flashlights other than that the junk that advertises "9 LEDS!!!!" is utter rubbish. There's nine of them because they're crappy LEDs.

Anyways, it's not something I'll carry with me every day; it'll sit usually unused in my nightstand and maybe I'll get a second one for my car. I like the idea of a clicky because I want to be able to use it with my handgun when things go bump in the night. So that means I also want something that fits comfortably in my fist. And I want something that runs on AA because I have some Sanyo Eneloops and I'm not interested in buying another kind of battery just for this one specific light.

I browsed through a few other threads for AA lights and honestly got kinda lost and overwhelmed. Lol! I'm not familiar with the popular brands, so that's lost on me. But I've heard that CREE LEDs are really good. That's about the extent of my knowledge. All that to say, here's my recommendation request checklist... Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

==================Flashlight Recommendation Checklist================

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
This will be mail-order or Online (location doesn't matter).

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Up to $50.

3) Format:
I want a flashlight (hand held/self contained).

4) Size:
SMALL - Every day carry (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a large/traditional manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What power source do you want to use?
I intend to use Rechargeable cells (NiMH or NiCD) based on the usual AA sized cells common to most stores.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is not a happy experience).
I want an indoor "blackout" light (15-50 lumens)
and/or
I want to confidently walk around an unlit/unpaved rural area (60-150 lumens).

Burst/Turbo mode is acceptable.

9) Flood vs Throw: Flood covers an area, Throw reaches out to a distance.
Not really sure, to be honest? One of these, I guess:
Wide Flood: I want a defined flood area for semi-close tasks like after-dark campsite tasks or working on a car.
Narrow Flood: I want a sharply defined flood area that will project some distance for tasks like trail walking.
Wide Throw: I want a beam with a noticeable hot-center for distance throw and a significant amount of "side-spill". Good for rough trail hiking, search and rescue, and general distance work.

9a) Distance: How far away will you typically need to see with this light (check all that apply)
Less than 5 yards/meters (looking for something inside a dark shed/garage/basement)
up to
5-20 yards/meters (check out a noise in the backyard)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum continuous output).
Probably this:
90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Not Important (A "night-stand" light). But I don't want a piece of junk. I've had some piece of junk lights from Harbor Freight, so actually...
THIS:
Slightly Important (Walks around the neighborhood).

12) Switch Size, Type, and location (choose all that apply):
I want a momentary switch (Predominantly for use with signaling and short bursts of momentary light only).
I want a tail mounted clicky (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's higher end flashlights)
or
Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)

15) Water resistance
None needed
but would be nice...
IPX4 (Splash resistant)

16) Storage conditions
Honestly, could be any of these:
In house (temperature/climate controlled environment)
Emergency kit (long standby periods)
Automobile glove-box (wide temperature swings, long standby periods, critical reliability)

17) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any/all below.
Pocket/belt clip

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome:

Also check out the Fenix E20! It doesn't have a belt or clip, but it does have a lanyard (good for handgun use).

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
:welcome: In a single AA battery, there certainly are overwhelming options.

I'm suggesting the Sipik 68 (68k, SK68, many names for the same thing.) AA x 1, available in many colors and configurations. It has an actual driver so it can run from a single cell. It has "aspheric optics" and is a "sliding zoomie."

You slide the head back and forth along the light to change your adjustable focus. They are so cheap, you could get a box of 10 of them as they are often available for under $5. It's great to scatter them around the house, vehicle, etc. They're cheap enough to hand out in emergencies. There's a ton of Amazon sellers, but you'll get a better price with a bulk by from places like DX.com and many others. I buy another load of them once in a while because they become gifts, stocking stuffers, and emergency handouts. The nice thing about having 10 $5 lights versus 1 $50 light is that they're not all going to break at once.

Perhaps consider it your "gateway" drug to the addiction of flashaholism?

I'm more_vampires, and I'm an addict. :D

Scottpants

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the recommendations so far guys!

:welcome:

Also check out the Fenix E20! It doesn't have a belt or clip, but it does have a lanyard (good for handgun use).
I had actually browsed Fenix's site and the many AA lights they have. I saw the E20 but I was kinda weirded out by the "motion control technology." Shake the light to change output modes? Seems like an overly complicated mechanism that would be one more thing to break... Maybe not though?

I'm suggesting the Sipik 68 (68k, SK68, many names for the same thing.) AA x 1, available in many colors and configurations. It has an actual driver so it can run from a single cell. It has "aspheric optics" and is a "sliding zoomie."
I saw that on Amazon and figured I'd pick one up regardless. Like you pointed out, for <$5 why not?! Plus my coworker just got one and he showed it to me. Seems to be a pretty solid light. Although running on a AA battery as opposed to the 14500, it certainly doesn't have the kind of brightness I saw in pictures/videos online. But it definitely seems sufficient as a more-or-less disposable light.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind there are a ton, a TON of variants. Some are single-mode. Some are 5 mode. Some are driven hotter, others more conservatively. You never know what LED you'll get in there.

It's a great way to get started modding, as well. So what if you killed a $5 light? Throw the leftover parts into the junk box and keep trucking! :)

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind there are a ton, a TON of variants. Some are single-mode. Some are 5 mode. Some are driven hotter, others more conservatively. You never know what LED you'll get in there.

It's a great way to get started modding, as well. So what if you killed a $5 light? Throw the leftover parts into the junk box and keep trucking! :)

+1

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very happy to try to help, ha ha!

I had actually browsed Fenix's site and the many AA lights they have. I saw the E20 but I was kinda weirded out by the "motion control technology." Shake the light to change output modes? Seems like an overly complicated mechanism that would be one more thing to break... Maybe not though?

I do not like the idea of the motion control, but you can disable it - effectively turning it into a single-mode light, which does carry over when you change the batteries. Since it has that, I'd like to eventually add it to my collection; if it didn't have a way to lock out the motion sensing, I wouldn't give it a second look.

I don't have an E20, but I can tell you that I love my E25! (And, well, all the rest of my Fenix lights!!)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I'm looking to get a relatively inexpensive LED flashlight to keep in my nightstand. <SNIP>
And I want something that runs on AA because I have some Sanyo Eneloops and I'm not interested in buying another kind of battery just for this one specific light.

I'd like to suggest the 2AA Rayovac indestructible about $14 at homedepot.
Get two of them and put one in the car.

They are two mode... HIGH, Low, OFF.

I keep one loaded with Duraloops in my car with a RED traffic diffuser. It's in a vinyl bag clipped to my ashtray, for immediate access. I keep a 2-cell charger, and a 4 pack of lithiums in the glove compartment.

1DaveN

Enlightened

How about the Fenix LD22? I'm crazy about my E25 (which doesn't have the switch you want), but I've had my eye on the LD22 for a while. Not sure how many 2xAA lights I need, but that one always catches my eye when I'm on the Fenix site.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my humble opinion, Fenix does not make bad lights. I consider them a respected maker.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix does not make bad lights. I consider them a respected maker.

+1

Most do. I don't currently own one but the vast majority seem happy.

In regards to the motion controlled light - it's specifically designed for diving..... Thats pretty clear on the website.

chazz

Enlightened
In regards to the motion controlled light - it's specifically designed for diving..... Thats pretty clear on the website.

There are two different motion controlled Fenix lights that I know of, SD10 (diving light) and the E20 (not a diving light) :)

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the Fenix LD22? I'm crazy about my E25 (which doesn't have the switch you want), but I've had my eye on the LD22 for a while. Not sure how many 2xAA lights I need, but that one always catches my eye when I'm on the Fenix site.

I do hope to get all of Fenix's AA lights...ha ha ha!!!

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Scottpants, I believe the Fenix E11 might be exactly what you are looking for. 1xAA LED flashlight with a clicky tailcap, two output levels (35 and 115), long running (6hr 15min and 1hr 50min), and waterproof to 2 meters.

It's actually been discontinued (replaced by Fenix E12), but you can probably still find them online or on CPF Marketplace. I have a silver E11 and have been pretty happy with it.

Scottpants

Newly Enlightened
So it seems that Fenix is a trusted and well-respected brand here, huh? Lol!
I'm definitely going to have to look at the E11/E12/E25 and LD22.

I'll probably still pick up one of those cheap Sipiks on Amazon regardless. Cuz why not? :grin2: