Philips SafeRide 80 battery compatibility issues

Mr Okomat

Newly Enlightened
Hi Everyone,

After wondering for a long time why there are no bike lights with a good light distribution and cut-off, I came across this forum and found that they do exist, your LBS just won't sell them to you :)

The SafeRide 80 seems to be one of the favorites here, so I ordered one from Amazon, who seem to be selling some old stock at a healthy discount. I've been struggling for the last few days to get the light to work. The included batteries were completely dead, as expected after what must have been years of storage after the light was discontinued by Philips. I'm in the process of reconditioning them with my La Crosse charger, and after a couple of cycles the light now works with them.
Strangely, with a brand-new set of Tenergy LSD cells, I can't get the light to work at all. I am wondering if there are any knows quirks about the charging circuit in the light, that could explain this. I am guessing e.g. there is a low voltage cut-off, and the LSD cells use a different chemistry from the old-fashioned NiMH cells, so they never make enough voltage? Or the cells need to be charged in the light so the light "knows" that the batteries are full (but it won't even charge the Tenergys)? I'm kind of grasping at straws, but before sending the light back I wanted to see if anyone here had similar issues.

Matt King

Newly Enlightened
I think if the batteries are unplugged, the light will act like they're new/fresh.

I had issues with a couple of sets of batteries in my Saferide, 3rd set worked a charm. No explanation why, sorry.

PS the light won't work with the USB cable plugged in, I trust you didn't try to do that?

abvgdee

Newly Enlightened
so the light "knows" that the batteries are full
AFAIK, nothing so much special, should be fine. Even worked with +5V from a PC power supply. Make sure batteries are balanced (last paragraph in that my post).

May be related, a peculiarity I had: if you unplug power while it's on, it won't turn on for some time after that, need to wait may be 30sec..