Same question different person

zombieslayer

Newly Enlightened
Hello Folks, I am a truck driver with big hands 2-3xl to be exact. I am looking for and edc light that I can fit into my pants pocket comfortably. I would prefer LED and up to 500 lumen. I am a complete noob on this forum even though I have been a member for a good while. So, I would appreciate any and all advice and knowledge ya'll would care to share with me. Thanks in advance.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Being in a truck I imagine that it would be more trouble than it's worth to mess with lithium-ion (just my opinion).

Why do you want 500 lumens? I ask because if you're primarily looking for a light for pre- and post-trip inspections without the help of the sun I think any of the 2xAA Fenix lights would serve you well; I don't have one, but the LD22 looks to me like it would be perfect for inspections and pocket-carry with its combination of power, pocket clip, momentary-on and size.

ParaShootist

Newly Enlightened
I've been using a Fenix LD22 (2xAA unit) for EDC. Got to love the convenience of AA - its seriously easy (alkalines are everywhere & you also have NiMH rechargeables like eneloop or lithium for long shelf life). The LD22 has been just the right tool for me - familiar clickie tailcap, an easy to use side switch to change between 4 light levels and max at 215L is plenty of light for what I'd need an EDC light for. The LD20/LD22 has a reputation for durability - mine has been no exception. It fits in my pants pocket - but I mostly carry it on a lanyard.

My only criticism of the LD22 (goes with every other AA light I've handled) is the slender body - doesn't handle like a Surefire 6P or 9P, but that's obviously quite minor.

EagleTac D25A2 Clicky XM-L2 (also a 2xAA unit) is reportedly a nice light and is listed at 453L max output.
If I weren't so pleased with this Fenix, I might have been tempted to try the EagleTac.
HTH

zombieslayer

Newly Enlightened
Night time and self defense is the reason for up to 500 lumen. We can't carry a fire arm on commercial vehicles. I haul refrigerated containers to ports and that is especially a big no no. So, what am I left with? Speak softly and carry a big light! Lol

ven

Flashaholic
Hey there zombieslayer,

I have a slightly different recommendation,the fenix uc35,single 18650 fed,bonus of usb re-chargeable so perfect for the truck on the go. Little read up on lithium's,and good to go,also with built in charger it saves any extra charger to carry about. Over 900 available lumens on turbo,well spaced modes and good run times in lower modes,great UI imo. A nice compact size for output light. I have the pd35(no usb) and love it..........:) Oh and has an effective strobe via holding the mode select button if required...........

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ix-UC35-micro-usb-rechargeable-max-960-lumens

Good luck with choice,imho you cant go wrong with any suggested.

timothydavidson1

Newly Enlightened
I'd go for the Fenix PD22ue. It's a great light with a max out of 510 lumens with a rechargeable battery, or 400 lumens with a standard CR123a. Even at 400 is really bright. I love mine, use it, and carry it everyday.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Night time and self defense is the reason for up to 500 lumen. We can't carry a fire arm on commercial vehicles. I haul refrigerated containers to ports and that is especially a big no no. So, what am I left with? Speak softly and carry a big light! Lol

Righto!

Hey there zombieslayer,

I have a slightly different recommendation,the fenix uc35,single 18650 fed,bonus of usb re-chargeable so perfect for the truck on the go. Little read up on lithium's,and good to go,also with built in charger it saves any extra charger to carry about. Over 900 available lumens on turbo,well spaced modes and good run times in lower modes,great UI imo. A nice compact size for output light. I have the pd35(no usb) and love it..........:) Oh and has an effective strobe via holding the mode select button if required...........

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...ix-UC35-micro-usb-rechargeable-max-960-lumens

Good luck with choice,imho you cant go wrong with any suggested.

I think Ven nails it! (I had forgotten about USB charging for 18650s)