Reccomend Me a Light For Personal Defense..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericjohn

Enlightened
I need a small to medium sized flashlight that may be used for self defense.

You see, one of my in-laws (the whole family is shady) has threatened bodily harm to me. Because of where I live, I am not allowed to keep a gun. A knife looks too suspicous and could possibly be taken out of my hands in a fight. I have pepper spray, but it is too hard to deploy in a sudden attack. I've known since the age of 16 about the self defense use of a flashlight (I saw the SureFire E2D in a Galls catalog.) I think my Bushnell I recently purchased is decent for the size and strike bezel, but could be brighter. I see one at Autozone that takes 3 AA batteries and could fit in a big enough pants pocket. It has a dizzy strobe and a strike bezel and sells for ~14.99+tax. I would like something like this, but maybe a little smaller. What I am looking for is something that could blind or incapacitate my oponent and strike in the head to cause enough pain and damage to neutralize the threat. I don't have the capital for a SureFire E2D or a MagLite tactical. $40 is the most I am willing to spend. By the way I don't care about the country of origin, just as long as I can carry it anywhere and have stopping power should I need it. By the way if something happens to me, I want this post as evidence. PM me if you would like to assist me in identifying the perp.

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?
Brick and Mortar or Online/Catalog...

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
Less than $40 (money is tight at the moment.)

3) Format:
I want a [tactical] self defense flashlight that is ready to go out of the box.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
Every day carry small (2-4 inches). OR Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:
LED the brighter the better.

6) Manufacturer:
I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
2AAA/1 or 2AA. 2C might also be an option.

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
Just be able to blind someone in self defense. So 100+Lumens

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
Just be able to blind someone in a tactical situation.

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
90-120 minutes (Runtime is moderately important, but still not critical)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
Critical Self Defense

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
Shouldn't matter, but tactically would be a plus correct (momentary, on, off)

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
Full brightness and a Dizzy strobe would be nice...

14)Material/Finish/Coating
Metal (preferably Aluminum)

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.
Pocket/belt clip would be nice
Crenelated bezel is a MUST.

dc38

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the east coast of the yoosah. In the place wher
It would be wiser to call law enforcement. Better a ***** alive and healthy than a dead machoman.

Also, don't be stupid. If someone got the jump on you, you'd be too busy trying to buck them off to deploy any weapon. Particularly in an environment where it may be too late to see anyone coming. One on one face to face fights do NOT exist in the REAL world. JUST RUN.

Last edited:

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are plenty of cheap lights with some nasty crenelated bezels on them all you really have to do is go to sites like dealextreme banggood and fasttech. Just try to see if you can get a cheap light with a crenelated bezel that is actually stainless steel as opposed to painted aluminum. That being said looking at my own collection of lights I would strongly recommend the Jetbeam 3m Pro. It is above your budget, it retails for $67 on GoingGear.com but the light is built like a tank, has an incredible pocket clip, is utterly blinding and has one of the best stainless steel crenelated bezels I have ever seen. The bezel is a thick chunk of polished stainless steel with some nasty big "teeth". One could easily break out a car window or drive the bezel into an attackers face and do some real damage very quickly. Running on an 18650 it puts 900 lumens out the front. Running on 2xRCR123's it puts 1100 lumens out the front. So those are my recomendations, 1.Check those sites for cheap crenelated lights. 2.Jetbeam 3m Pro. Good luck.

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can check bang good. Com for decent $40 lights but that's at least 4 weeks delivery time. In the mean time, be aware of your surroundings: such as the porch light isn't on at its usual time, strange cars parked in strange spots, strangers striking up conversations with you out the blue

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Greta

Flashaholic
While it is not an "official" rule here, I think it is pretty much understood that it is not a good idea to go down this road. dc38's post is most definitely a better way to handle your situation. And even if you still choose your route, I know myself I would certainly not put my life in the hands of a flashlight that cost under $40.

So with all that said - I'm going to close this thread as this topic can (and more likely than not will) create all kinds of problems that none of us want.

Status
Not open for further replies.