Do you always carry a flashlight or only at night?

Shaifnan

Newly Enlightened
Here in The Netherlands is now sunny and a beautiful day. This morning is get mine stuff together and was about to leave the house. When I picked up my flashlights (fenix ld02 and pd35) it hit me. I know that a lot of people edc flashlight, so do I. But I started about 2 months ago with the edcing flashlight.

When it was a lot darker than know during the day. Now I wonder if you adapt your edc flashlight to the daylight.

I know that edc means every day carry but, are you edcing your flashlight also on a sunny day. If you know your will be outside for the whole day.

Today I was at he beach from 09.00 until 15.30 and the sun was bright and this had me thinking about my edc.

It is better to have it and not need it than need it and don't have it. So do you always carry a flashlight even if you going to the beach for a couple of ours on a bright sunny day?

I hope I make sense.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do carry a light everywhere and all the time (within reason - I don't have a light ON me in the shower). There are a number of reasons, but I'll just share the three most basic (for me).

First is that there is darkness everywhere. I use my EDC to shine under my desk at work, in the corners under stairways, in any room that I need more light but didn't turn on the room lights. The preceding examples are true even on the brightest of days; if you're going into a building then it is likely that you will encounter darkness that can hinder your vision.

Another reason is that unless you're walking a short distance, you can't KNOW when you'll be back. What if your vehicle breaks down or is damaged, or what if a road gets blocked by an accident, or what if your plans change (or are changed for you)? You can know that it is going to get dark sooner or later, and you may still be out in it and need some lighting.

There are very real safety issues involved with having a light, but I did survive for some 28 years without a light; what I'm trying to say is that it's simply so much more FUN and CONVENIENT to have a light in the above situations, which is my last point.

So, *I* think you make sense, lol, and I do EDC a light - every day!

Last edited:

ahtoxa11

Newly Enlightened
I do not EDC a light. I only carry one when I'm out hiking/backpacking on multi-day trips or I'm heading out later in the day and anticipate to need a light. I do have a flashlight I keep in a car, too, so there's usually a flashlight around me. I EDC a few things, but hardly ever a flashlight.

Bedlam

Newly Enlightened
There are very real safety issues involved with having a light, but I did survive for some 28 years without a light; what I'm trying to say is that it's simply so much more FUN and CONVENIENT to have a light in the above situations, which is my last point.
I've gravitated towards carrying a light everywhere, only because the few times I go out without it I always need to bloody need one! Most of my use is stupid things in the daytime, but really it's fun using it to go in the garage or to light up the pantry at 1pm.

The fun aspect though is what keeps me looking for another light even though realistically I don't need 3 of the 4 18650 runners I have now, or that other AA, or to maybe be branching out and carrying one powered by a CR123 even though they're crazy expensive here.

Would I carry one if I didn't enjoy doing it? Nope. I'd do what most other people do, and cope without it (probably by installing buggy flashlight apps on my phone, or borrowing from a friend haha).

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I always have my flashlight with me. You never know when the weather could take a turn for the worse..

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always EDC my Microstream and the Tube on my keychain. There have been too many times when the available light just wasn't sufficient for what I needed to not EDC. One example is a dropped small part like a screw or a medicine bottle cap. They can sometimes be hard to see, and one sure way to find them is to shine a light horizontally across the floor from an inch or two up, and watch for the shadow. Works every time.

When I am pretty sure I will be out near or after sunset I will snap my G2 for 6P in its holster onto my belt. I will also carry a larger light if I am going out and it looks like it could storm. It is surprising how dark even a Walmart with all those skylights can get during a thunderstorm. Then if the power goes off as well, I gonna be a hero!

Brigadier

Enlightened
If I'm awake, I have a light on me. When I am asleep, I have 3 within reach.

ven

Flashaholic
I am not up to a lot of you guys edc standards,if during winter i always have an edc in my coat.........

Camping,i take one with me in my combats for example

To the beach,simply no,imo no point as i dont stay till dark,i have my car close by with lights in it and many back at the caravan or tent.

But i will add no matter the weather,no matter what i wear(nope no dresses here unless saturday night:nana:) i always ALWAYS have my keys with me,of which i always have a light,be it an eo5ss,dqg spy/hobi/fairy. Work wise i carry and have right now the lumintop tool on my work keys(always with at least 1 light on me) and many in my tool box or plano bag,of which is always within arms reach.
Pic a few year old,little different now regarding organisation and content in top(may get some new pics :laughing:

3 draw down and 4th have many lights,only 3 in top draw at present :laughing:
Top draw -right now(old pic shown) pd35 2014/e25 burst/lenser p3/k2
2nd draw-Thrunite t10s with 14500
3rd draw-Olight sr51/Lenser T7.2/chargers and spare cells(eneloops x2/pany 3400x2/LG 4.35x2/14500 x1) sp1 charger soon to be the vc4 to suit all chemistry.
4th draw-Lenser p17 with lots of spare alki cells the

Probably a couple missed/forgot tbh,all off top of head,should have a Klarus P1A but lost and found by work colleague,told him to keep it after it being lost for a few month. If me i would have asked/handed in at security:shakehead

sandalian

Enlightened
I always carry at least two flashlight, one flashlight on my belt and another one in the bag.
I also carry spare batteries.

If going out in the night, I mostly carry more flashlights in my bags.

Just like what Grijon mentioned above, darkness may come at any time.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given how small a capable light can be (Fenix E01, Mag Lite Solitaire LED, Quantum DD, Nitecore Tube, Fenix E05, Quark Mini, Spy DQG), there are only a few situations where you can't possibly carry any flashlights. These flashlights range in cost from about $8 to $50, with 5-50 lumens output, and run for 1-8 hours.

At work I have a Jetbeam RRT-01 on my belt. It's great for seeing ALL of the stuff under or inside a machine. It's thumb-sized and rides nicely beside the work phone - Free space.

For a very long hike, I might pare down to a headlamp and a handlight with a spare. But unless I were swimming without even pockety swim shorts, I would carry a flashlight (On the car key ring).

1DaveN

Enlightened
I have a very small UST "Moonforce Titanium" light attached to my keys so it's always with me - I think it cost about $6 (and there's no titanium anywhere near it). It's rated at 20 lumens, with purplish light - it's for the unexpected rather than for regular use. I keep a Mag 2xAA with lithium primaries in my car, and all my bags have Fenix E01s in them. Then when travelling or in any situation where I expect to need a light, I bring along something bigger and better, usually an E25 or PD35.

By the way, I got the UST because people said the highly rated Streamlight keychain lights come on in your pocket, and tend to be dead when you need them. That UST isn't a light I show off to my friends, but it's reliable, apparently indestructible, and there when I need it.

Fleetwood

Newly Enlightened
Yes, but only because the cargo trousers I wear all the time (including at work) have my torch pouch (with either Nitecore P12 or Lenser T7M inside) attached to the belt. It would be more hassle to remove the belt pouch and have to remember to put it back on at night than it is to keep it permanently attached. Very occasionally, I'll be scheduled to work a day at work, and end up being asked to work a few hours more - which will take me in to darkness hours - so it's a good job I kept the torch on me all the time.

markr6

Flashaholic
I'd like to, but don't.

With dress pants, even a tiny flashlight in the pocket is annoying. Eventually it leaves a wear mark on the fabric from abrasion due to leaning on things to setting stuff on my lap. Clipping it on the pocket also wears and just looks bad.

With jeans, I just find it annoying - even a small SC52 pokes me in the hip when sitting or bending to put on shoes or whatever. They're not even tight jeans, but not crazy loose either.

In the summer I find cargo shorts to be OK, so I sometimes carry one then.

Chay

Newly Enlightened
Always have at least one light on me at all times, even though it might be sunny outside, still useful in buildings :)