Solar charging solution. Thoughts?

mdocod

Flashaholic
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a ...

SUNKINGDOM™ 5W 5V Portable Ultra-thin Solar Panel Charger USB

...from amazon for $22.99, fulfilled by amazon prime.

This seems like a really nice back-country charging solution for phones/GPS and 18650's (paired with an Xtar MC1 Plus). At only ~4oz and about 9" X 8" this is lighter, smaller, and less expensive than many options. The size/shape of this thing would strap unobtrusively to the "top" of my Xenith 88 without overhanging. This almost seems too good to be true, so I can't help but think I must be "missing" the catch. It even "appears" to be of a durable design. Am I missing something here? Is this $23 4oz solar panel really potentially this good? It seems like most other options with similar power claims are heavier, larger, and often more expensive.

Has anyone here had any experience using a relatively compact "portable" solar panel like this to charge phones and/or 18650's? I'd love to hear any constructive thoughts on the issue, especially from anyone who has used this or similar products.

Thanks,

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are using your flashlight quite a bit at night, I do not think that charger will replenish your batteries- especially if you are not getting that much sun. Seems like you could try it and let us know. It is not expensive. I use a 15 watt solar panel in the high altitude New Mexico sun and one can only get so much juice out of small systems.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
5 watts isn't very much power. And I usually de-rate it a bit, because manufacturers tend to exaggerate, and also most of the time the sun isn't perfect to get that full rating.

Can you even charge a cell phone on such little power?

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is how I did it a few years back:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?342073-Portable-solar-charging-setup-I-just-built

ControllerMaha1amp.jpg

SystemRear.jpg

While it's not going into my back pocket, it's sufficient (along with the mother batteries) to charge all of my NiMH and li-ion needs.

Chris

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
There have been several solar charging threads over the last year or so. Use the search option at the top of the page to find them. Happy hunting!

PS: I too believe the unit you referenced is way too small to do you any good. My personal setup would be 15w folding solar panels -> power bank -> USB to 12v boost circuit -> i4 v2 charger. Just waiting on money for solar panels - will document when completed.

mdocod

Flashaholic
If you are using your flashlight quite a bit at night, I do not think that charger will replenish your batteries- especially if you are not getting that much sun. Seems like you could try it and let us know. It is not expensive. I use a 15 watt solar panel in the high altitude New Mexico sun and one can only get so much juice out of small systems.

I figure on a combined 2-8 hours of usage per night between 2X wizard pro V2 headlamps (wife and I). Mostly on firefly 3 and main mode 1, which have runtimes of ~1 week and 25 hours respectively. Some sporadic bursts at higher output for fun, or for investigation of "noises" should be factored in, but even the regular "high" mode on these headlamps run for 4.5 hours. In the dark woods I really prefer to avoid using bright lights except when I get unsettled by noises and need feel it necessary to investigate, otherwise, I want to see the stars and sit by flickering coals of campfire.

Worst case scenario, I expect an 18650 to last 4+ nights in a headlamp. I don't expect to run down the batteries in our handheld spotting light at all on a trip, as it would only be used for short spotting and backup.

I honestly don't expect to need to do a lot of charging if any on most trips. (I've made do with far less in the past) I just like the premise of having a system that is "sustaining-as-needed" rather than limited to however many cells I carry. I have 12 brand spanking new NCR18650B's (got em for $5 each on a recent "deal" on amazon), but it occurs to me that I could strike a balance, carrying a few less cells would "pay" for the weight of the solar panel (only 4 oz), which could perhaps prove useful for topping up a cell phone that is being purposed as a make-shift GPS, keeping in mind, that it would normally be OFF. We use physical Nat-Geo trail maps most of the time, but I'm not the best at orienteering, and it would be helpful in some places to be able to "identify" our position on a GPS to then translate that to the physical map.

If I could charge up a single near-depleted NCR18650B in a full day, I'd be very happy with the system, as that would keep up just fine. I'd estimate that to require ~15WH after losses are considered. Do you think a panel rated 5W could muster up 15WH in a full day?

----------

5 watts isn't very much power. And I usually de-rate it a bit, because manufacturers tend to exaggerate, and also most of the time the sun isn't perfect to get that full rating.

Can you even charge a cell phone on such little power?

My phone has a 3.7V 2.1AH battery.. If the panel could manage to get an 18650 topped up in a day, it should be able to top up a cell phone in a day as well. (keep in mind, the phone would not be ON except intermittently for use as a GPS once and awhile).

5 watts isn't very much power, but if I could average 2 watts out of it for ~8 hours a day, or 3W for 5 hours, or something like that after regulation losses are considered, that would be very functional for me. Do you think that is an unreasonable expectation?

---------

There have been several solar charging threads over the last year or so. Use the search option at the top of the page to find them. Happy hunting!

I searched and skimmed dozens of threads before posting this. I did not see any discussion about any panels like the one I am referring to in this thread being used for back-packing. Most of the search results were over 3 years old, so aren't necessarily even relevant depending on what products and tech are available now. Most of the threads are regarding large systems like the one posted by ChristGarret above that have no place on my back 14 miles in.

If you know of a thread that I missed. I'm all ears.

PS: I too believe the unit you referenced is way too small to do you any good. My personal setup would be 15w folding solar panels -> power bank -> USB to 12v boost circuit -> i4 v2 charger. Just waiting on money for solar panels - will document when completed.

Based on your experience with your 15W panel, do you think it is reasonable to assume that I could charge an 18650 cell or a turned-off cell phone (even less stored energy) in a day on a panel "rated" 5W?

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully you will give it a go. I am probably not able to fully charge a nearly depleted 18650B with my 15 watt Goal Zero panel. I charge well before near-depletion whenever possible. We all appreciate your earnest inquiry and studied responses. By-the-way, I am primarily using an Xtar MC1 single bay, simple charger off of a USB connection, as my NiteCore i2 would not function with the panel. The larger Xtar chargers that I have are equipped with digital displays, and I do not wish to use electrons towards monitoring.

keithy

Enlightened
Not sure what happened to my previous post, so I'll try again -

I use a few solar panels when hiking, but haven't used them for charging 18650 or 14500 cells yet. I use them for charging camera, NiMH AAs for my GPS, UV water filter and flashlights.

I looked a some of these 5W panels a while back (I can't remember the brand, but it looked similar to the Sunkingdom one) and found that it was lacking in output current. The 5W panel I tested was outputting less than 0.5A, and the AA charger I was using didn't like the lower current. It did manage to trickle charge a USB li-ion battery pack though.

I now have 2 Goal Zero Nomad 7W panels, an Instapark Mercury 10W panel, and a Goal Zero Nomad 13W panel. The 13W panel is a bit too big and heavy to take backpacking. I use the Instapark Mercury 10W as a middle ground, as it can output a higher current than the 7W panels. The Instapark is meant to output a max of 2A, but I haven't been able to achieve that in direct Australian sun, with the devices I've plugged in. My USB AA chargers only accept an input of 0.5A, but using a tablet that can take 2A, I have tested the Instapark panel at up to 1.5A. The Goal Zero Nomad 7W panels output less - between 0.8A - 1A.

One of the issues you might face is what happens when you get cloud cover or are in shade while it is strapped to your pack. I've noticed some panels stop charging devices after cloud cover, not sure whether the controller is shutting it off, or the device isn't accepting the reduced current.

I haven't heard of the Sunkingdom brand but be aware of the cheaper solar panels out there. A mate bought a 13W panel that looked extremely similar to the Goal Zero Nomad 13 panel from a seller on eBay. It came from China, and size wise it measured up and looked like the Goal Zero. When we tested it out in the same conditions charging the same model of phone, it was clear that the Chinese copy wasn't up to scratch. It would only output around 0.5A, while the GZ 13W would output around 1.3-1.5A.

I haven't tried hooking up my Nitecore I4 to the solar panel via the 12V input though. I should give that a test and see whether it works. The Nitecore I4's input is 12V 1A, so I'm wondering if the current drops will it stop charging all together until the current goes back over 1A.

I'm using a device like this http://www.adafruit.com/products/1852 to check the current outputs from the solar panel. I previously used a spliced USB cable and my multimeter, but this is a bit neater and easier (although the red display can be hard to read in direct sunlight).

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully you will give it a go. I am probably not able to fully charge a nearly depleted 18650B with my 15 watt Goal Zero panel. I charge well before near-depletion whenever possible. We all appreciate your earnest inquiry and studied responses. By-the-way, I am primarily using an Xtar MC1 single bay, simple charger off of a USB connection, as my NiteCore i2 would not function with the panel. The larger Xtar chargers that I have are equipped with digital displays, and I do not wish to use electrons towards monitoring.

The biggest bottleneck here is the half amp charging rate of the MC1. Even if you have a solar panel that can actually pump 2A through USB, you won't be able to charge the battery at more than half an amp. This is where the MC1 Plus comes in. But beware of the Goal Zero panels. Not sure about your 15W. But lots of them will only put out full power through a proprietary connector and maybe half an amp to one amp through USB. If you want a small folding panel that can put out lots of current through USB, you may want to look elsewhere.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
My favorite solar charging solution is Cottonpicker's folding solar chargers. He's on the forum, and makes them by hand to order. They far outperform the commercial stuff that's out there, and are extremely well built. He sets them up with built in ports for your ipod, computers, phones, batteries, battery packs, etc....whatever you need.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Based on your experience with your 15W panel, do you think it is reasonable to assume that I could charge an 18650 cell or a turned-off cell phone (even less stored energy) in a day on a panel "rated" 5W?
First off, if you look closely you will see that I said the solar panel was waiting on money, so I don't have it yet. Now, since this discussion, I was doing some research and found out that the price dropped $20, so I went ahead and ordered it - it is scheduled for mid-week next week. If you can wait that long I will give a quick report as soon as it arrives.

Second, I think you should plan to put a power bank between the solar panel and whatever else. As you may have seen on the other threads, one of the problems with direct charging is the variable output of the solar panel(s). By using a power bank, it will accept whatever output is available and store it away. Then, in the evening or over night, the power bank can be used to charge whatever, even if it takes all night. I personally really like the Maxboost Electron banks. Mine is the 15,000mAh, but they also make one at 10,000mAh. One really nice feature is that they have a digital % of remaining charge display.

And last, but definitely not least, I think you would be much happier with this panel: Anker® 14W Dual-Port Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology. It is about twice the cost, but produces almost three times the output, and is made by a recognized name in portable solar power. It is the one I have ordered so we will see how it does next week.

PS: I am not a camper or hiker, so that does influence my choices somewhat. I am more preparing for the power failures I expect to see in the next couple of years caused by failures in the regional power grids.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
My favorite solar charging solution is Cottonpicker's folding solar chargers. He's on the forum, and makes them by hand to order. They far outperform the commercial stuff that's out there, and are extremely well built. He sets them up with built in ports for your ipod, computers, phones, batteries, battery packs, etc....whatever you need.
The last I heard, he wasn't in that business any longer, which is a pity because I would have liked to get a couple of his products.

scot

Newly Enlightened
I've played with cheap panels, and that's just what they are, CHEAP. I'll never buy a cheap one again. My two favorite are the Goal Zero and Suntactics. I once went for six months charging my IPhone from only the GZ panels and AA batteries that comes with them. Not once did I plug into the wall outlet.
Never have charged a 18650 from one though. Maybe I should try and report back.
Big difference between just the 5 watt and the 8 watt, yet not much difference in size.
Love my solar panels, play with them all the time.

mdocod

Flashaholic

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I'm very tempted to give it a try despite the discouraging responses thus far.

If a "15W" panel that costs >$100+ can't even charge a single NCR18650B in a day, then something seems out of whack. Highway robbery much? Something seems amiss there. Li-Ion charging is a pretty efficient process. A 12WH cell should only need ~15-16WH (all charging losses included) to charge (on a poor efficiency charger design). You're saying, you don't think the goalzero 15W panel could average 2W output over 8 hours in the sun?

In your experience, would you say the MC1 is "tolerant" of low input power? IE: will charge anyway, just at a reduced rate?

------------

Not sure what happened to my previous post, so I'll try again -

I use a few solar panels when hiking, but haven't used them for charging 18650 or 14500 cells yet. I use them for charging camera, NiMH AAs for my GPS, UV water filter and flashlights.

I looked a some of these 5W panels a while back (I can't remember the brand, but it looked similar to the Sunkingdom one) and found that it was lacking in output current. The 5W panel I tested was outputting less than 0.5A, and the AA charger I was using didn't like the lower current. It did manage to trickle charge a USB li-ion battery pack though.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, and taking the time to re-post a lost-post. This helps me "frame up" what I am up against here. Less than 0.5A may not be a deal breaker, depends on the behavior of the charger.

I now have 2 Goal Zero Nomad 7W panels, an Instapark Mercury 10W panel, and a Goal Zero Nomad 13W panel. The 13W panel is a bit too big and heavy to take backpacking. I use the Instapark Mercury 10W as a middle ground, as it can output a higher current than the 7W panels. The Instapark is meant to output a max of 2A, but I haven't been able to achieve that in direct Australian sun, with the devices I've plugged in. My USB AA chargers only accept an input of 0.5A, but using a tablet that can take 2A, I have tested the Instapark panel at up to 1.5A. The Goal Zero Nomad 7W panels output less - between 0.8A - 1A.

Sounds like that instapark panel isn't too bad of a deal (good power output for ~$50). Unfortunately, at a weight of about 1 lb, that doesn't really "pay" for itself very well. I could carry 8XNCR18650B's for the weight of that panel, which is more than I would ever anticipate needing in any single trip. By my figuring, the weight of the solar charging system would have to be less than 8oz to meet a comfortable "break-even" point for me, where I opt to leave behind 4 spare cells (only carry 2 spares instead of 6), and bring up to an 8 oz solar charging system along. The beauty of that 4oz panel I found on there, is that it would actually make my pack lighter. I'd leave behind 8 oz of spare cells, and bring along a total of about 5oz of charging gear instead (panel+mc1). 3oz is 3oz, and in backpacking, those ounces add up, everything has to be scrutinized, limits have to be imposed, especially since we also pack fishing gear (have that down to ~1lb per person).

One of the issues you might face is what happens when you get cloud cover or are in shade while it is strapped to your pack. I've noticed some panels stop charging devices after cloud cover, not sure whether the controller is shutting it off, or the device isn't accepting the reduced current.

Yea, need to figure out more details about this.. My understanding though, is that the MC1 is a good device for a solar setup because it won't allow any reverse "bleed-down," as could be the case with some solar panels when in the shade/dark when connected to some devices.

I haven't heard of the Sunkingdom brand but be aware of the cheaper solar panels out there. A mate bought a 13W panel that looked extremely similar to the Goal Zero Nomad 13 panel from a seller on eBay. It came from China, and size wise it measured up and looked like the Goal Zero. When we tested it out in the same conditions charging the same model of phone, it was clear that the Chinese copy wasn't up to scratch. It would only output around 0.5A, while the GZ 13W would output around 1.3-1.5A.

Makes me wonder if KITROBASKIN's GZ is a counterfeit, based on his reported experience with it... hmmm...

I'm using a device like this http://www.adafruit.com/products/1852 to check the current outputs from the solar panel. I previously used a spliced USB cable and my multimeter, but this is a bit neater and easier (although the red display can be hard to read in direct sunlight).

I was planning to pick up Xtars version of the same type of device to test with if I do decide to buy something, but based on the feedback so far, nobody seems to think that 4oz panel will do anything useful, so I may not even be bothering.

-----------

Thanks for the heads up, I'm trying to locate a recent sales thread but not having any luck. Sounds like he isn't doing this anymore. Though, a DIY isn't necessarily out of the question for me, but I'd prefer to buy a ready-made product. The market appears to have enough options and competition to more or less ensure that any DIY attempt would be more for the novelty of DIY than for any value-add.

-----------

First off, if you look closely you will see that I said the solar panel was waiting on money, so I don't have it yet. Now, since this discussion, I was doing some research and found out that the price dropped $20, so I went ahead and ordered it - it is scheduled for mid-week next week. If you can wait that long I will give a quick report as soon as it arrives.

Second, I think you should plan to put a power bank between the solar panel and whatever else. As you may have seen on the other threads, one of the problems with direct charging is the variable output of the solar panel(s). By using a power bank, it will accept whatever output is available and store it away. Then, in the evening or over night, the power bank can be used to charge whatever, even if it takes all night. I personally really like the Maxboost Electron banks. Mine is the 15,000mAh, but they also make one at 10,000mAh. One really nice feature is that they have a digital % of remaining charge display.

And last, but definitely not least, I think you would be much happier with this panel: Anker® 14W Dual-Port Solar Charger with PowerIQ™ Technology. It is about twice the cost, but produces almost three times the output, and is made by a recognized name in portable solar power. It is the one I have ordered so we will see how it does next week.

Sorry I did read your previous reply incorrectly. I think I got it mixed up with someone else's response.

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter. Unfortunately, I don't see any way for a 28oz solar panel and a 10oz redundant power bank to break even on weight vs just carrying more charged cells. For that much weight I could just carry an additional ~20 X NCR18650B's (on top of the 2 or so spares that would come along regardless plus those that would already be in the headlamps and handhelds). From a back-packing perspective within the context of the type of trips we will be able to take, the break-even point is going to be if a functional panel + 1 cell charger weighs as much or less than bringing 4 more spare 18650's (about 8oz). 20 spare cells (26 total including a "baseline" of 2 spares and 1 cell already loaded in each headlamp and hand-held) would be ~3 months worth of use, maybe more. A 3 month expedition isn't happening, our schedules don't allow for that, so it doesn't make sense for our power system (solar or not) to weigh as much as a 3 month supply of batteries.

PS: I am not a camper or hiker, so that does influence my choices somewhat. I am more preparing for the power failures I expect to see in the next couple of years caused by failures in the regional power grids.

Back-packing requires careful attention to weight. I'm not as "serious" about the weight reductions as many back-packers, (we bring a good camera, fishing gear, comfortable sleeping pads, roomy tent, etc), but it is important to me to be careful how I am "spending" the ounces in my pack. I'll carry more weight if it provides me with a creature comfort or benefit or activity that I consider to be with the "cost" in weight. In this case, I'm actually looking for something small, low power, and light weight. I expect the performance to be low, but don't need much to create a sustainable and be beneficial system. One way or another, I will likely have enough cells on any trip to make it through rain or shine anyway. With so many modes on these headlamps, there's really no reason not to be able to stretch out a single 18650 for a week or more if necessary (Which is about as long as any of our trips would ever be anyway). I mean, the runtime in firefly 3 mode (~9 lumens, which is plenty for most camp/kitchen stuff) is basically an entire week on an 18650 anyway. Yes, one could theoretically leave on 1 week trip and leave the headlamp on the entire week at ~9 lumens the entire time, without swapping the battery the entire trip). Point being, I'm not trying to power a search and rescue operation or or a portable guitar hero session or something.

----------

I've played with cheap panels, and that's just what they are, CHEAP. I'll never buy a cheap one again. My two favorite are the Goal Zero and Suntactics. I once went for six months charging my IPhone from only the GZ panels and AA batteries that comes with them. Not once did I plug into the wall outlet.
Never have charged a 18650 from one though. Maybe I should try and report back.
Big difference between just the 5 watt and the 8 watt, yet not much difference in size.
Love my solar panels, play with them all the time.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I see that suntactics has a 6" X 11" folding panel that weighs 8 oz, that is a "true" 5W panel, for $130. (made in USA). That looks like a very high quality panel. When paired with a charger it would be borderline in terms of weigh to benefit ratio, and potentially overkill, as I really don't need a "true" 5 W panel to achieve sustainability, but I'm going to bookmark that one.

Based on your experience with cheap panels, do you think they might deliver even half of their rated output in full sun? Reason I ask is that, I'd actually rather have a 2-3W panel (even if it claims 5W on the box) that weighs 4oz, than a true 5W panel that weighs 8oz for this application.

-----------

Thanks everyone for your participation, feedback, ideas, and interest in the topic. This is great stuff.

If I may be so bold to try to steer the conversation away from any panel that weighs over ~8 ounces or is larger than ~100 sq inches. It doesn't matter if it could power a whole zoo, it doesn't do me any good to be larger or heavier than this as I could just carry more cells at that point. I'd love to hear more experiences and/or thoughts about small (weak) light weight panels, specifically if anyone has used them with an MC1 charger.

Regards,

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see that suntactics has a 6" X 11" folding panel that weighs 8 oz, that is a "true" 5W panel, for $130. (made in USA). That looks like a very high quality panel. When paired with a charger it would be borderline in terms of weigh to benefit ratio, and potentially overkill, as I really don't need a "true" 5 W panel to achieve sustainability, but I'm going to bookmark that one.

Although the Suntactics sCharger 5 is a REAL 5W charger, it is NOT a good choice for charging cylindrical Li-Ion batteries. The problem with that charger is that the USB output features Suntactics' patented auto retry system. Auto retry periodically (every three minutes, I think) cuts power for a second before reconnecting. The reason for this is that devices like iPhones will stop the charge if power is low (like from intermittent shading of the panel), and not resume once power is increased. Charging will only resume if power is disconnected and reconnected. However, this same feature is detrimental when it comes to charging bare Li-Ion cells. Xtar chargers will not charge a battery that is stuck in a charger with over 4V. The same thing happens if the charger is charging a battery and power is disconnected and reconnected when the battery has over 4V. So with auto retry, the best you can get is a 4V charge. Also, Xtar chargers charge at a low rate when the charge is started before stepping up to a higher rate. This will happen every few minutes with auto retry, drastically slowing the charging rate. So avoid the sCharger 5.

However, Suntactics also sells the sCharger 8. This charger has both an auto retry port AND a normal, 'constantly on' port (unlike the sCharger 5). It's only a little bigger than the sCharger 5. But it produces 8 watts vs 5. It also only costs about $20 more (for almost twice the power!). I actually have the sCharger 8. And it works GREAT. It will even charge my iPad Air, albeit not at wall charger speeds. But I can charge either my iPhone or a couple of UR14500p cells (in an MC2) every bit as quickly as with a wall charger (it will do both simultaneously, but more slowly - keep the MC2 off the auto retry port!). It should also fully charge a completely drained 18650 in just a few hours with an MC1 Plus.

Last edited:

keithy

Enlightened
Thank you very much for sharing your experience, and taking the time to re-post a lost-post. This helps me "frame up" what I am up against here. Less than 0.5A may not be a deal breaker, depends on the behavior of the charger.
Sounds like that instapark panel isn't too bad of a deal (good power output for ~$50). Unfortunately, at a weight of about 1 lb, that doesn't really "pay" for itself very well. I could carry 8XNCR18650B's for the weight of that panel, which is more than I would ever anticipate needing in any single trip. By my figuring, the weight of the solar charging system would have to be less than 8oz to meet a comfortable "break-even" point...

No problems. I tried hooking up my panels to my nitecore i4 by 12V input but relatively cloudy today without direct sunlight the charger didn't turn on at all. The current output was well less than 0.3A.

I know what you mean by weight. I just bought a new pack to save 2.2pounds and a newer lighter sleeping bag and I'm looking at some lighter tent solutions now as well. I've been looking for a new AA USB charger to pair up with my solar panels and came across Sunjack on Amazon.

They have a 7w panel that looks like the goal zero and is cheaper on amazon. http://www.sunjack.com/product/sunjack-7w-solar-charger/ but the panel alone weighs 0.8lbs. I'm keen to know how the xtar works with a solar panel.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
The half amp limit on the Xtar MC1 charger may be limiting the capabilities of my panel. I have one of Xtar's USB volt/amp analyzers and will check it out.

Typically I will recharge 18650's when they go down to less than 3.85 volts or so. They do charge up, but an almost completely drained 18650 will take a lot more time. One should also consider the quality of the USB cord and connections involved in the process.

If a person regularly adjusts the orientation of the solar panel to constantly face the sun on a cloudless day, all day, it may perform as the advertised specs claim. That is my guess.

Your discussion motivated me to read up some more about this subject last night. Thanks for that. My solar panel is possibly for motorized transportation camping, and emergency use primarily, when grid power goes down. Your requirement for a lightweight panel makes sense, as well as a low price to justify the purchase because your use will probably not be that often. Carrying more batteries might be the more practical thing to do, but having the capability to charge from the sun is very appealing from an emergency scenario point-of-view. And based on your words, it is hoped you will post your experiences if/when you take the plunge.

mdocod

Flashaholic
...The problem with that charger is that the USB output features Suntactics' patented auto retry system.... Xtar chargers will not charge a battery that is stuck in a charger with over 4V. .....So avoid the sCharger 5.

My experience with Xtar chargers, is that some of them won't initiate a charge on a cell >~4V that is INSERTED into a charger that is powered up, but when power to the charger is "cycled" with the cell already in the charger, it almost always re-initiates charging regardless of cell voltage. I'm not sure how the MC1 behaves, but my experience with other xtar chargers leaves me to believe that the "auto-retry" function of that panel would not be a problem. If anything, it would likely result in achieving higher charge saturation, as it would "re-initiate" the charge after termination over and over again.

However, Suntactics also sells the sCharger 8....

Looks nice, now, if they would just make a version called the sCharger 3 at <5 ounces and <$50 ;) I'd be very interested. ;) I just can't rationalize a 14oz panel.

Perspective:
My favorite back-packing saw, is actually made by fiskars and sold at walmart in the garden department for ~$8-13 (depending on time of the year). It's a 13" long pull-saw blade with a composite handle. The whole thing weighs only 7oz with the blade guard. It offers equal or better cutting performance per oz than anything I'm aware of at 2-10X the price, and arguably offers a lot more useful utility and/or survival value per oz than a 14oz solar panel.

I love those "gems" we find in the most unlikely places, and would really like to believe there's a "gem" of a 4oz solar panel out there that could charge an 18650 or top up a cell phone in a day without costing an arm, leg, and left testicle.

------------

The half amp limit on the Xtar MC1 charger may be limiting the capabilities of my panel. I have one of Xtar's USB volt/amp analyzers and will check it out. Typically I will recharge 18650's when they go down to less than 3.85 volts or so. They do charge up, but an almost completely drained 18650 will take a lot more time. One should also consider the quality of the USB cord and connections involved in the process.

I figure it should take an MC1 (at 500mA rate) ~5-7 hours to charge up a mostly depleted 18650 in ideal conditions (normal USB power or USB power adapter) anyway, so yea, my idea was to look for a panel that would more or less "match" this charge rate. I was optimistically thinking I'd get the "plus" version and see if it would allow me to make the "best" use of available power in excess of 500mA in ideal conditions, but I guess that would depend on the charger's behavior. I figured with solar being intermittent it would be all day to top up a mostly depleted 18650 with a "500mA" charger, which would be perfectly fine by me, as even that would be double my anticipated consumption rate of about 1 cell depletion per 2 nights between 2 people (I expect at minimum ~4 nights from an 18650, per headlamp/person).

If you have that analyzer and MC1, maybe you could do me a huge favor...

I'd like to get a "feel" for how the MC1 behaves when the available current drops below 500mA... like, will it keep charging with less? I was thinking, if you could hook it up to the solar panel, and gradually "shade" the panel to see how low the current has to drop before the charger quits attempting to charge at all, that would be a massive help for me. If the MC1 can basically behave as a "variable" rate charger below 500mA, then it should make a fantastic charger for solar, truly eliminating the need for a "buffer" battery to make decent use of available power. The behavior of the charger is gong to have a large impact on how much panel is required to make it functional.

If a person regularly adjusts the orientation of the solar panel to constantly face the sun on a cloudless day, all day, it may perform as the advertised specs claim. That is my guess.

Even if I could only get 2-3W from a 5W panel in "ideal" conditions I'd be pretty happy with a 4oz $23 panel (The MC1 charges at~2W). Keep in mind, we don't just go packing for the sake of packing. We are more "destination/recreation" oriented back-packers, Unlike many packers, who are more "achievement" oriented (mountain-summits and trail-miles). For every 10-15 miles covered on the trail, we're probably going to try to spend a day at a "destination" somewhere along that trail, likely a mountain lake, or cluster of lakes, to fish, take nature/landscape photos, and sit by the fire until late, then, when the fire calms to a glimmer, enjoy the stars. On these "recreation" days, I'd have plenty of opportunity to manipulate the panel into ideal positions for sun, and would even consider the "chore" a "fun" part of my recreation, as I enjoy that sort of tinkering.

Your discussion motivated me to read up some more about this subject last night. Thanks for that. My solar panel is possibly for motorized transportation camping, and emergency use primarily, when grid power goes down. Your requirement for a lightweight panel makes sense, as well as a low price to justify the purchase because your use will probably not be that often. Carrying more batteries might be the more practical thing to do, but having the capability to charge from the sun is very appealing from an emergency scenario point-of-view. And based on your words, it is hoped you will post your experiences if/when you take the plunge.

If I do take the plunge on one of these panels I'll certainly do plenty of testing and share my findings with the community.

----------

This guy on youtube seems pretty happy with the larger 8W version of the same panel I'm looking at... Getting to "see" the panel in the video, and the way it is indeed what I was hoping, sort of a semi-flexible but durable looking piece of plastic with the solar cells laminated between layers. Seems a lot more durable/KISS to me than a lot of the other panel designs I've seen, many which are both heavier and more expensive.

Granted, he is in a position to monetize sales of these panels, so I'm not sure how credible he is. From my understanding he is a real wildland firefighter and homesteader so must have some idea of how to spot junk, but on the other hand it's also likely he may not have any reference to know what good is in the first place. That silly LED bulb is also really not useful for back-country work or recreation IMO, so maybe he doesn't know jack.

Last edited:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can actually see ALOT of value in a smaller, lighter version of the Suntactics panels. After all, if your main concern is charging flashlight batteries, you really don't need too much power to do it. To put things into perspective, sometimes when I go day (or should I say night) hiking, all I carry is an SC52w. It may not have the brightness of my 18650 or 26650 lights. But 50 or 108 lumens is fine for most uses. And it will do this for at least 3hr or 7.5hr (respectively) on a Sanyo UR14500p (which can be charged in an MC0 rather than an MC1 to save even more weight). With about 2W of power, you can fully charge a fully drained UR14500p in less than two hours (1:45-1:50, to be precise). But I'm not sure Suntactics would make such a charger. After all, most potential customers don't charge cylindrical Li-Ion batteries. Most people want such a charger for smartphones. And a 3W charger would hardly be up to the job.

Last edited: