Nuwai lights on pilas? (xenon regulated?)

chrisse242

Enlightened
Did anyone try to run the nuwai or streamlight "twintask" two-cell lights on pilas? I found this on the nuwai homepage:

BULB TYPE
- 6*05mm White LEDs (Japan-Made)
- 3.6V 1.5A High Pressure Xenon
BATTERY TYPE
- 2 pcs CR123A Lithium Batteries (included)

To me (while not being to much into this) this sounds like the xenon part is regulated to take the 6v of two 123's. Wouldn't this make this light the perfect host for the pila 168S?

Chrisse

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regulated? I'm afraid I don't remember seeing them anywhere as regulated. McGizmo had 1 opened up before to put in a luxeon star, if my memory doesn't fail me, there's no regulation inside.

The bulb, being 3.6 volts 1.5 amps, should be able to take the overdrive, to 4.8 volts at aroun 1.8 amps that is being supplied by the 2 x 123s that are used. The LEDs are just resistored I think.

chrisse242

Enlightened
OK, I didn't remember that mod, but if the 3,6v bulb stands the voltage of two c123's it should work fine on pilas, don't you think? I heard they start a little above 4V also.

Chrisse

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
They start out at 4.2 volts or so, under the 1.5 amp load, should drop to 3.8 or so. But the voltage for the LEDs would be rather low I think.

chrisse242

Enlightened
Perhaps this thread would fit better into the eletronics forum. Anyway, let's continue here untill some moderator wants to move it.
I just found out Nuwai sells the same light with a 3,6V / 1200mah Nicad cell. What does this mean for the option to use it with the pilas? Is there any big difference between both types I'm not aware of, and which would make it impossible to use those cells? Or could someone who ones both, the light and the cell, just test it? I don't see anything making it likely to destroy the light with the pilas, so why not give it a try?

Chrisse