Help with ZL/headlamp

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Hoping someone might know this...
Instead of getting a dedicated ZL headlamp, can the SC5 be used in one of the ZL headbands, just off to the side?

I'd rather have an SC5 that I can use multipurpose, and stick in a headband when needed...

Or am I just wishful thinking?

:)

Appreciate any help... Thanks!

JD

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use a Nite-Ize headstrap with a ZebraLight SC62d every night, during some days while working on something where the light is not good, and when I wake up at night to go.

I also have the ZebraLight headlamp strap unit with a glow-in-the-dark silicone piece that holds the H600 series. You will have to tilt the headstrap while on your head to get the light to point somewhat downward to see what is right in front of you. Or you can only attach your light with one of the silicone loops and let the flashlight head dangle downward. Both options will make it such that the light will bounce a bit, especially when running or trotting or walking on rough ground. Also, the bezel is set rather back on the side of the head, and if you wear glasses, the light from your torch will reflect light on the edge of your glasses frame.
You will need to adjust such a short light so that it does not shine on the side of your eyebrow or eye itself. Check the diameter of your SC5 and see which ZL headstrap would be appropriate. They do not cost that much to experiment.

Actually I have a pair of that set-up, it is that good. Also, I have sewn the Nite-Ize strap in such a way the the flashlight sits more forward and angles down. It is very secure to hold in-hand because of the headstrap, and should the need arise that you could benefit from using both hands, it is a simple matter of putting it on the head. I tried a ZL H600 and never got used to the right angle emitter, and all of my other lights are of the conventional configuration. You have a good idea; I prefer the simpler, less elastic, Nite-Ize option.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Hoping someone might know this...
Instead of getting a dedicated ZL headlamp, can the SC5 be used in one of the ZL headbands, just off to the side?

I'd rather have an SC5 that I can use multipurpose, and stick in a headband when needed...

Or am I just wishful thinking?

:)

Appreciate any help... Thanks!

JD

I will test out my SC5 attached to a Nitecore headband in a few days for yea.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about the bill of a baseball cap? I use a L3 illumination L10 (with a Zebralight clip for the H501w funnily enough). Only problem is that it is a twisty.

I have various Zebralight head lamps and angle lights are great but head bands are starting to annoy me. A cap is much preferable these days.

I also have the niteize strap but the glare is not nice, and I don't even wear glasses.

Sorry for the thread jack

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for info so far!
Appreciate the test, woods.
And I wasn't sure about the niteize, although it looks to be ok.

I'd rather use clipped to a baseball cap, definitely, but with the SC5 clip, it's screwed in, I think, and I'd have to reverse it, which would make it not carry-able when not used normally.
If it had a clip-on clip, that would be ideal.

beavo451

Newly Enlightened
Kind of related, but Surefire use to sell a headband that did what you are thinking of. It held a 6P on the side of your head.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

Made a 3 minute video, demonstrating the system I use nightly, with a ZebraLight SC62d on a headstrap. The non-elastic headband can be also used as a sort of wrist lanyard type of arrangement as well.

Works for me.

Oh, ambient lighting in the video was provided by a Nailbender solid copper P60 module burning a triple Nichia 219b 5000K in an 'Oveready Defence Light' host, coupled with an Oveready Wasp Head (XPL redomed) on a twin 18650 body.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd rather use clipped to a baseball cap, definitely, but with the SC5 clip, it's screwed in, I think, and I'd have to reverse it, which would make it not carry-able when not used normally.
If it had a clip-on clip, that would be ideal.

There are some clips that are two way clips. That would be ideal. I think streamlight was one. Was looking at it for my lf2xt but instead I cut a slit in the cap. I have Also sewn elastic on the bill of cap. If I ever get access to a cheap 3D printer, I'll have a better solution

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix makes a headband with a holder that uses a clamping mechanism for light body diameter 18-22mm. The holder swivels up and down, so you can adjust the angle of the light beam.

jdhermit

Newly Enlightened
PERFECT! Thanks everyone for the info!
Kitrobaskin- REALLY appreciate the vid! That helps tremendously and is likely the way I'll be going.
That was awesome you took the time to show that.

Thumbs up!!!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are certainly welcome. Can't tell you how many times CPF members have helped me out.

On the nightpack I use, there is a cheap, non-rigid, old style flip phone case, attached to one of the shoulder straps that holds the light and strap, coiled inside. It rests on top of my shoulder. Otherwise, it is just in a jacket pocket or in a case on the belt. The strap makes it less 'slippery' and less inclined to slip out of a pocket like a bare flashlight might.