Regarding Pass Through Charging on the Miller ML 102 V.9

solbivvy

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys long time lurker, first time poster. I was curious, does the Miller ML 102 charger provide pass through charging (ie. charging a phone while charging a battery from a wall power supply)? The reason I ask is because I'm planning to thru hike the Bruce Trail and will be heading into town every couple of days to resupply and recharge my batteries and I want to be able to charge an 18650 from a usb wall adapter and my phone at the same time through the Miller ML 102. Are there any pitfalls to pass through charging (like increased charge times, danger to the battery) that I may be missing here? How does pass through charging work in this context, is the battery being charged and drained at the same time? Is it better to just use a 2 port usb wall adapter (for the ML 102/18650 and the phone respectively)? My main motivation is to cut pack weight down by any means necessary and bringing a single port usb wall wart and less cabling is conducive to that.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
check that you are INDEED ACTUALLY charging your phone and not gettign just a signal.
I got a charging signal when i did the same with the LiitoKala 100 charger, but the cell was not actually getting any significant current

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger ML-102 V9.0 2015 UK.html

First of all v.9 will only charge up unprotected cells that are as close to 65mm as possible.

That's a big negative for many.

The USB output can do 1.4A, which may not be enough if you have an Apple or Samsung smart phone, which require 2.1A to charge/use.

You can read the review, but I'd pass and get a dual 2.1A USB wall wart, buy something like an Xtar MC1+ 1A/500mA charger and an extra cable if you need one and just charge up your 18650s and smart phone in one pass.

The MC1+ is very light and very small and can do other size cells if need be--16340s, 14500, 16650s etc.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar MC1Plus UK.html

The 1A charging will be just about as fast as you'll find in a small USB type charger.

You can look at some of HKJ's tests on USB wall warts here:

http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexUSB UK.html

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Chris

solbivvy

Newly Enlightened
http://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger ML-102 V9.0 2015 UK.html
buy something like an Xtar MC1+ 1A/500mA charger and an extra cable if you need one and just charge up your 18650s and smart phone in one pass.

Chris

I'm really set on using the Miller ML 102 as a powerbank (I only use unprotected Panasonic NCR 18650B's). I'll check to see if the provided 1.4A is good enough for my phone (I just received the charger in the mail) and I will report back. Thanks for the perspective Chris and the link to the index ITS AMAZING, I might end up using a 2 port usb wall wart for efficiency. On an unrelated note, I really think chargers like the ML 102 or Xtar are a game changer for minimalist backpackers because our power needs are variable. Its nice to only bring enough batteries for the amount of time spent out. I only need to charge my phone and usb rechargable headlamp (Nitecore T360) on the trail so this setup may work for a thru hike context.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm really set on using the Miller ML 102 as a powerbank (I only use unprotected Panasonic NCR 18650B's). I'll check to see if the provided 1.4A is good enough for my phone (I just received the charger in the mail) and I will report back. Thanks for the perspective Chris and the link to the index ITS AMAZING, I might end up using a 2 port usb wall wart for efficiency. On an unrelated note, I really think chargers like the ML 102 or Xtar are a game changer for minimalist backpackers because our power needs are variable. Its nice to only bring enough batteries for the amount of time spent out. I only need to charge my phone and usb rechargable headlamp (Nitecore T360) on the trail so this setup may work for a thru hike context.

I hear ya on the smaller/lighter stuff.

Last summer, we all started posting about all of the smaller 7w-15w folding USB solar chargers and I bought a $40 14w Sunkingdom dual output panel, so then I needed a couple of USB NiMH and li-ion chargers to run off of it.

I got the Xtar XP1, the Xtar MP1+ and then I decided on the larger VC4, four bay USB li-ion/NiMH charger and so I'm set.

I carry smaller 16340 lipstick lights and I'll just bring the XP1 with me to my GF's place and I'm set. It only does 14500/16340/10440/AA/AAA jobbies, but it's fine for those, although it's slower on NiMH batteries. I might leave the MP1+ over at her place and get another, since they're so cheap.

For phones, I bought a Ruinovo (HKJ review) 4x18650 power bank and now I'm waiting on a 4x18650 Xiaomi PB from FastTech, so I might just leave one of those over there as well.

I'm in Miami and hurricane season is approaching in a few months and I like to be a bit prepared!

Good luck on your trip, welcome to CPF and have fun with the Miller.

Chris