Help identify this LED module

ZGB

Newly Enlightened
Hello,
i got my hands on same high tech (for my knowledge) LED module,
is there any way you can tell me what kind of LED is it and how can i light it up and not damage it in the process :D

I striped this one from a Mercedes Benz full LED headlights and plan to put it in my scooter cuz lights are very very bad now :(
So ill need some kind of DIY driver for that LED module, hope you can help me with that

Regards,

2016-02-17-22-04-58-jpg.25074
2016-02-17-22-05-35-jpg.25076

ZGB

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replay :)

I connect it directly on my scooters battery when it was running today, around 13.5 V
do i still need some kind of DIY driver or can this LED work without driver ?

evilc66

Enlightened
You always need a driver. You got lucky with this one and applying 13.5v to it, as the series voltage for that LED is about 12.7v nominally. While the battery at rest may be 13.5v, it will never stay that steady once the scooter is running and the generator is charging the system. You could see voltage spikes north of 16v in some cases (if the voltage regulation on the generator isn't all that great) which would kill the LED, and the battery voltage could dip way below 10v in some circumstances, which would make the LED very dim. Basically, your headlight brightness would vary greatly.

First thing I would do, is read the datasheet.

A driver will be tricky, but not impossible. The big problem is that your required LED voltage sits somewhat in the middle of the general operating voltage for the scooter. That means you need a buck driver some times (step down) and a boost driver at other times (step up). The SEPIC topology basically covers that. There are a number of LED driver ICs that use SEPIC topology. Not to sure of any commercially available SEPIC drivers, but I'm sure they exist.