My newly shortened car and a poor trooper

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight I got rear-ended on the interstate in Seattle (a surprising kick from the rear), and after the trooper arrived, I got out, he asked for my documents, and....started fumbling with his flashlight (maybe a 2-C style Streamlight) in the dark by the roadside. His flashlight didn't work! Of course I whipped out my little Nitecore EX10 with Nichia219A to light up the paperwork. And again after he talked with the other driver and came back with my stuff. Poor guy - but I didn't feel like donating my light to him.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tonight I got rear-ended on the interstate in Seattle (a surprising kick from the rear), and after the trooper arrived, I got out, he asked for my documents, and....started fumbling with his flashlight (maybe a 2-C style Streamlight) in the dark by the roadside. His flashlight didn't work! Of course I whipped out my little Nitecore EX10 with Nichia219A to light up the paperwork. And again after he talked with the other driver and came back with my stuff. Poor guy - but I didn't feel like donating my light to him.
His fault. If I had a job where my life might depend on a flashlight I would be checking for proper operation and sufficient cells every time I started work. Also, he has obviously never heard the mantr - Two is One, and One is None!

swampgator

Enlightened
His fault. If I had a job where my life might depend on a flashlight I would be checking for proper operation and sufficient cells every time I started work. Also, he has obviously never heard the mantr - Two is One, and One is None!

No kidding. At a minimum, he should have a car charged large light, ala an SL 20 or Magcharger. Then a smaller back up belt carried light, ie SF 6P or the like. With spare batteries and bulbs in the car.

Taz80

Enlightened
Sorry to hear about your car, I hope everybody is alright. I don't feel sorry for the trooper at all, with easy access to inexpensive lights there is no excuse not to have a spare.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with those that posted above. If I were a LEO or emergency service provider, I would have to have a duty belt for all my lights.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who knows, he might have had a backup, but since I had mine on so fast, he had no chance. However, he also didn't have one after coming back from his cruiser.

I'm particularly sad, because my mint, stock, 94 Integra has such low book value, it'll probably be totaled, and I haven't seen any philosophical replacements as fun to drive for reasonable money. The other driver had no insurance (contrary to WA law) and a week-old license, I was told. She was probably texting or something.

swampgator

Enlightened
Who knows, he might have had a backup, but since I had mine on so fast, he had no chance. However, he also didn't have one after coming back from his cruiser.

I'm particularly sad, because my mint, stock, 94 Integra has such low book value, it'll probably be totaled, and I haven't seen any philosophical replacements as fun to drive for reasonable money. The other driver had no insurance (contrary to WA law) and a week-old license, I was told. She was probably texting or something.
Sorry about your situation. 13 years ago, my ex got hit by Mexican nationals driving a NM titled truck with a fly by night buy here pay here TX insurance company. Her car was totaled. I think we got $1500 for it. And that was only because I had the receipts from some maintenance work we'd had done about a month prior..