Mountain Electronics Sanyo/Panasonic NCR18650GA Protected 3500mAh

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
These cells have good reviews but what's up with the protection circuit?

Anyone use use these cells? Any problems?

Thanks,

Bob

Manufacturer Cell Specifications:

Nominal Capacity: 3500mAh
Charging Voltage: 4.2v
Maximum Charge Current: 1375mA (1000mA recommended)
Recommended Discharge Termination: 2.5v
Maximum Continuous Discharge Current (protection circuit limited): 8A (cell is rated for 10A, but protection circuit may trip at 8A+)

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_88&product_id=289

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
look like the standard Japanese designed but Chinese made anode and cathode PC's to me. I have heard one complaint about this specific brand GA several times though and that is that this cell is thicker than other re wrapped GA's to the point they either wont fit in some lights or some people have been forced to remove the wrap to make them fit. I am thinking these are actually double wrapped cells. The PC's look fine.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
look like the standard Japanese designed but Chinese made anode and cathode PC's to me. I have heard one complaint about this specific brand GA several times though and that is that this cell is thicker than other re wrapped GA's to the point they either wont fit in some lights or some people have been forced to remove the wrap to make them fit. I am thinking these are actually double wrapped cells. The PC's look fine.

I prefer the new style PTC myself without the lead running down the side for this reason as well as safety. I would go for one of the other protected GA's before this one myself. These are pretty cheap though.

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened
What do you mean what is up with the protection circuit?

Maximum Continuous Discharge Current (protection circuit limited): 8A (cell is rated for 10A, but protection circuit may trip at 8A+)

The fact the the cell is rated for 10 but the protection circuit may trip at 8A+.

I imagine that most flashlights don't draw that much current but I can see where some higher end lights could draw that much.

Electronic/electrical circuits, especially motorized circuits, have a surge current where they draw more current initially in the instant that the switch closes. Then the current draw settles down to the rated current. If a protection circuit is fast enough the surge current could trip it even if the rated current is less than 8A.

I probably should have been clearer than "What's up with the protection circuit?":fail: On my part.

Bob

HorizontalHunter

Enlightened

What makes you say that? The physical construction?

I prefer the new style PTC myself without the lead running down the side for this reason as well as safety. I would go for one of the other protected GA's before this one myself. These are pretty cheap though.

I bought the KeepPowers from Illumn after reading the reviews on CPF.

Bob

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

The fact the the cell is rated for 10 but the protection circuit may trip at 8A+.

I imagine that most flashlights don't draw that much current but I can see where some higher end lights could draw that much.

Electronic/electrical circuits, especially motorized circuits, have a surge current where they draw more current initially in the instant that the switch closes. Then the current draw settles down to the rated current. If a protection circuit is fast enough the surge current could trip it even if the rated current is less than 8A.

I probably should have been clearer than "What's up with the protection circuit?":fail: On my part.

Bob

The rating is for 8amp continuous current so the pulse current is likely significantly higher. You would likely have to draw more then 8amps for 15seconds or more to trip the circuit. Your right, very few flashlights draw that current anyway(especially single cell). Even the new Zebralight SC600(not that it can take protected cells anyway) which has an output of 1300lumens only draws like 5.8amps max and that is only on H1(turbo) for the first couple of minutes before the thermal management lowers the draw. 8amps continuous is plenty for most production(almost all) lights. But, if you want the full 10amps the GA can deliver, Orbronic and KeepPower offer PTC GA's that can deliver 10amps continuous.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the anode and cathode look just like any of my Orbtronic or Keeppower cells. Vented top, copper plated bottom. Took a closer look at the pics in the link. The PC's are made in Japan likely the Seiko design, the cell is made in Japan and its all put together and wrapped in China. After looking at the pics closely the wrap job is okay but not as good as Orbs or Keeppowers. The core cell may still have its original Sanyo wrap still on it or something. I have read at least a dozen reports on CPF about this specific cell being too thick to fit into some lights. Either way the GA is an awesome cell. Its low internal resistance and low voltage sag, high capacity and high amp rating make it near perfect for the majority of lights. Got the unprotected Sanyo GA off the ZL site for my MkIII HI its my first unprotected cell. So far it powers the light perfectly. There is no better unprotected cell I know of for the light than the unprotected GA. I have switched over to the GA in almost all my lights.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Does anyone other than Olight use this new protection circuit without the wire down the side?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thrunite got some bad reviews (losing voltage while resting) . I will check out Fenix. In fairness some really well respected American re-wraps also got some bad reviews on Amazon.

space-cowboy

Newly Enlightened
Never too late to clear this up:
PCB Protection with:
1 x MOSFET Excess current threshold 4Amp
2 x MOSFET Excess current threshold 8Amp
3 x MOSFET Excess current threshold 12Amp

Most of these new 3500mAh Panasonic cells (with clear heat shrink wrap) are Made in CHINA.
If you see price below 10 bucks then it is Chinese Panasonic. How to easily recognize Chinese Panasonic?
Cell wrapping is red with black stripes (on the positive side) and it is printed "Made in China" / which is usually hidden by re-wrapper.

In this particular case protection will trip at 8 Amp because there are only 2 MOSFETs (cutting costs of the production).

I hope this helps a little.

the anode and cathode look just like any of my Orbtronic or Keeppower cells. Vented top, copper plated bottom. Took a closer look at the pics in the link. The PC's are made in Japan likely the Seiko design, the cell is made in Japan and its all put together and wrapped in China. After looking at the pics closely the wrap job is okay but not as good as Orbs or Keeppowers. The core cell may still have its original Sanyo wrap still on it or something. I have read at least a dozen reports on CPF about this specific cell being too thick to fit into some lights. Either way the GA is an awesome cell. Its low internal resistance and low voltage sag, high capacity and high amp rating make it near perfect for the majority of lights. Got the unprotected Sanyo GA off the ZL site for my MkIII HI its my first unprotected cell. So far it powers the light perfectly. There is no better unprotected cell I know of for the light than the unprotected GA. I have switched over to the GA in almost all my lights.