Different Qualities of Andonization? How to tell?

the0dore3524

Flashlight Enthusiast
My question is regarding the nature of HA III - many manufacturers use it, but is there different levels of quality in between the andonizing by different manufacturers? Or is it all the same? Sorry, might be a dumb question, but I really don't know haha...

Edit - I wasn't sure what forum to put this in, so if it's in the wrong one, moderators, please feel free to move it to a more appropriate one.

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
The military specification was Mil-A-8625 revision F, if it hasn't changed in the past few years.

The specification calls out minimum requirements of coating thickness as well as coating weight. Each manufacturer uses a different formula as to how long and what amperage they use to anodize with and slight changes in chemicals used.

The coating is supposed to be .002" minimum thickness. Preparation of the parts before anodizing can make a large difference in the coating build up on edges. Sharp edges don't plate well.

What I'm getting at it that we have to rely on the manufacturer having their stuff together when the specify the coating and have the processes in place to avoid sharp edges.

If you want to read the specification for yourself, everyspec.com is a free service to look up most mil specs. Have a read then come on back.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
QUALITIES!! for a long minute I thought you said quantity. NoNotAgains explanation is spot on. Been collecting lights since 1996 and just got into Armyteks several months ago and hot d*amn do Armyteks have the best thickest baddest anodonization I have ever seen on a light! It feels near 3mm thick! Now if AT would up their QC and stop sending me their very expensive lights with the emitters 2mm off center Id buy more of them. Zebralight has much better than average anodonization but a lot of times their colors dont match but hey its tough stuff

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Good topic.

The lights with a thicker application of coating will have ever so slightly rounded edges at knurls, grooves and channels. At a glance it's not an easy thing to spot.

The HA3 type coated lights tends to take on bit of a gloss, where the HA2 tend to be much more dull.
That's not always the case but as a general rule it is an indication. Some light makers like Elzetta do a top quality coating but ensure the light has very little "shiney" to maximize a stealth feature. Some HA2 lights are nice n shiney to appeal to the masses who tend to like shiney things.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
I'll move rhis to General Flashlight Discussion. :) Oveready has a chart somewhere on their site that shows their standard thickness vs. some industry standards, not other manufacturers.

nbp

Flashaholic
Not to be a grammar nut, but just to help in your searches: There is technically not "HAIII" and "HAII" There is Type II anodizing, and Type III, also known as HA, or Hard Anodizing. Saying HAIII is redundant redundant. ;)