Cheap LED motorbike conspicuity lights, why are they bad?

dull_dave

Newly Enlightened
Read a lot of posts on here saying that add on leds are bad, but no explanation why. I understand messing with the stock lights is a bad idea. How would having, for example, white led strips on the forks and hand guards make my bike more dangerous?

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Read a lot of posts on here saying that add on leds are bad, but no explanation why. I understand messing with the stock lights is a bad idea. How would having, for example, white led strips on the forks and hand guards make my bike more dangerous?

There's more to conspicuity than being merely visible. A motorcycle in particular must not only be seen, but identified, so that the observer can make decisions based on the type of vehicle, its direction, and its apparent speed. The wrong lights can confuse another driver as to any of those things, which could lead to a dangerous decision.

Another reason is that the additional lights may mask the functions of your required vehicle lighting-- they could make your turn signal harder to pick out. And, of course, there could be additional glare generated by these lights which could have others squinting or looking away, which is really the opposite of what you'd want-- you want people to be able to see you well, not try to avoid the excessive glare.

In some ways, it's like the lie about how "loud pipes save lives". Fact is they don't, they just annoy other motorists and can lead to a false sense of security for the driver. I'd guess the person that came up with that phrase had an aftermarket exhaust company and needed to whip up an additional "selling point".

This isn't to say there aren't things you can do, or perhaps lights you can add, to increase your visibility-- what year, make, and model do you drive? (I avoid "ride/rider/riding", because unless you're riding a horse, or you're a passenger, riding signifies a less-active role than you should be taking.)

dull_dave

Newly Enlightened
There's more to conspicuity than being merely visible. A motorcycle in particular must not only be seen, but identified, so that the observer can make decisions based on the type of vehicle, its direction, and its apparent speed. The wrong lights can confuse another driver as to any of those things, which could lead to a dangerous decision.

Another reason is that the additional lights may mask the functions of your required vehicle lighting-- they could make your turn signal harder to pick out.

Yes, I understand that, but I think it's Virgil on here that said the research sugested the positions I mentioned. Could be mistaken though

And, of course, there could be additional glare generated by these lights which could have others squinting or looking away, which is really the opposite of what you'd want-- you want people to be able to see you well, not try to avoid the excessive glare.

Would there not be a similar problem from adding reflective strips? On clothing they are encouraged, I don't see how adding to bike would be any different. If the LED's are putting out a similar ammount of light, what is the difference?

This isn't to say there aren't things you can do, or perhaps lights you can add, to increase your visibility-- what year, make, and model do you drive? (I avoid "ride/rider/riding", because unless you're riding a horse, or you're a passenger, riding signifies a less-active role than you should be taking.)

It's a 1996 Yamaha xj600. Called Seca 2 in America. Main headlight bulb I think has been upgraded by previous owner to a more white bulb. Seems pretty good, unlike my last bike I can actually see where I'm going at night! I think the opposite about the ride/drive thing, not that it really matters.