LED Torch for £50

sutt

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm new to the forum!

I'm looking for a LED torch which as good distance and spread for £50 or less. (plus or minus)

Let me know of any good suggestions.

Many thanks :thumbsup:

ven

Flashaholic
:welcome:

What size, what fuel(battery type)
What typical use
Any tint preference and distance entailed when in use, could be general to security etc
Any specific type of UI(user interface)
Mode groups, do you need a very low mode?
Any ideas of run time or time it will be used for, output ideas(lumens which would be sufficient)
Does it have to be from the UK or happy to import?
As much details as possible will help others advise to get you the right flashlight first off.

Good luck:)

harro

Enlightened
As a kickstarter, maybe a Fenix TK15ue or TK16. Both 18650 or CR123a power, good output and mix of flood/throw. Just a suggestion. My FIRST 18650 torch was a Fenix TK11Q5, and is still going strong, after 8-9 years. AA's, what about their LD22 2015 series. Not as much output, but that's what happens when you go to AAA/AA power. Good luck and welcome to CPF.

:welcome::thinking::paypal::paypal::paypal::paypal:

Not sure of cost over there, but around the $90 - $100 AUD mark.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
Yes Fenix are a good brand, check out flashahoics in the UK, i will throw a zebralight in, yep above budget but a great light, check out deals on the mk2 and check out the new mk3 ones.. Variety of tint, warm,cool, neutral and different battery type as well. Sometimes paying a little more, getting it next day and the advantage of an easy return if any problems is worth a few more £.

harro

Enlightened
Sometimes paying a little more, getting it next day and the advantage of an easy return if any problems is worth a few more £.

This is a VERY valid point, and can save a lot of heartache, if heaven forbid, the unthinkable happens, and there is a problem. But sticking with good names, as above, can minimize issues dramatically.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
It's hard to make recommendations with only a budget.
1. What type of battery would you like to use? Li-ions give the highest energy density but require a bit more care and knowledge to be used safely. NiMH doesn't have the capacity and can't provide as much current, but doesn't have nearly as bad of a worst-case failure scenario as li-ions and can also be used in many other household products.
2. WI'll you need to buy cells and a charger as well?
3. What is your use case? You mentioned distance (aka throw) with spread (on a thrower, this generally means a hotspot and a wide spill beam pattern) but knowing the what the light will be used for helps us make better recommendations by translating your needs into required specifications.

If you want an AA powered light, the TN4A HI would be an excellent choice. If you don't need quite that much throw, the TN4A in neutral white would also be good, though it would trade throw for tint and a bit brighter spill. Either is a pop can style light that runs on 4 AA batteries (preferably NiMH ).

:welcome:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Talking in £,s so no doubt a UK village resident.Great vendors on the site such as Flashaholics who offer a nice discount but suggest you use your head a bit and think what is around you in bricks and mortar stores so to speak.Maplins.Arco.Machine Mart, for example all sell lights and with Arco you can get a discount simply for asking.If you live near the sea Marine stores stock lights(mine sells Fenix).Gun shops sell lights(mine stocks O light).Outdoor centres such as Go Outdoors sell lights...From experience always easier to buy from a trusted supplier as it makes things go right when your light goes bad.

ven

Flashaholic
Excellent point Bill, on flashaholics use code CPF for 8% off, hey with the savings:naughty: and if you like it here and plan to stick around, you could even get a level1 supporter and still be in pocket:poke:

;)