Aux Low Beam

pupuek

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone

I feel that the stock headlights of my Isuzu MU-X is lacking. The stock headlight assembly is low beam projector H11 and high beam HB3. I'm particularly disappointed with the low beam in terms of light intensity and spread.

I've been hopping from one thread to another and read that the hella 90mm are good. I'm looking specifically at the Hella halogen low beam
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00062ZYNK/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I plan to mount these where the stock fog lamps are located. Basically, I will be using them together with my stock low beam.

Here are the questions:
1. Would the hellas still perform well considering the low mounting point?
2. Can I use the stock wiring for the fog lamps (H11)?
3. If not the hellas, what else can you recommend? (not keen on doing a retrofit)

Thank you in advance. Cheers!

OverRiding64

Newly Enlightened
I feel that the stock headlights of my Isuzu MU-X is lacking. The stock headlight assembly is low beam projector H11 and high beam HB3. I'm particularly disappointed with the low beam in terms of light intensity and spread.
Have you tried installing better bulbs? I would recommend these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U1OIESK/?tag=cpf0b6-20
1. Would the hellas still perform well considering the low mounting point?
Depending on where you live (someplace under FMVSS or UNECE regulations) the fog lights might be below the minimum allowed mounting height for low beam headlights, which would make such installation illegal, plus I don't think headlights mounted that low would provide much of an improvement over the stock ones. Unless you have one of those truck with abnormally high fog lights.
2. Can I use the stock wiring for the fog lamps (H11)?
If you mean the wiring that currently powers the stock fog lights, and if the stock fog lights are H11 (55W), I'd say yes. If you mean the wiring that currently powers the stock low beams, then no, since you would be overloading it to over twice its capacity (120W instead of 55W).

64.5vette

Newly Enlightened
Upgrade the high beams to a 9011 bulb. The low beams if decent would benefit from a h9 bulb. Then you may not even need aux lighting.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I plan to mount these where the stock fog lamps are located. Basically, I will be using them together with my stock low beam.
The fog lamp location might be too low for auxiliary low beams to work well. You'll just have excessive foreground light making it harder to see down the road in the conditions that warrant low beams (too much traffic too close). If you could put them inboard of the fog lamps but higher up, as high up as you can without being higher than the original low beam lamps and of course without interfering with hood opening.

As the factory low beams are projectors, the H9 swap might be effective but you'll need to be sure the lamps are aimed properly so as to not dazzle other drivers.