Replacement 18650's for Sony Handycam

Minimoog

Enlightened
I have a failed Sony InfoLithium battery pack for my Hi8 machine. Inside are four 18650's linked 2xSx2P with the rating 1600mAh. The two of the cells are reading 0 volts, the other two are very low capacity - the pack being well over 10 years old. My question is whether there is available a quality new battery (flat top) with low capacity that would be a good replacement? As the batteries are linked to the InfoLithium system, I don't think that putting in high capacity batteries would work as the charger, camera and battery pack all work together.

I was thinking about some Sony VTC4's - would they make a good replacement do you recon? Thanks for any input.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
I've done that countless time. Actually, infolithium system "learns" from your cells, so you can safely replace them with higher capacity ones. Just does not install ones that need to be discharged below 3 volts - protection will cut off power at around 3 volts, so no use of such cells. Also, no need to use VTC or other high drain chemistry, any average chemistry will do just fine.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
Forgot to mention - when you replace the cells, you might notice the phenomenon, that battery charge will stay on 100% or 99%, and will only drop to lower value before 1-2 minutes of automatic cut off. This is normal, and it will stabilize over time, as Infolithium will "learn" the new cells.

Minimoog

Enlightened
Thank you very much for the helpful advice. I will order up some cells and report back on how I get on. I love these older camcorders so it is good news that it's a straightforward fix.

CuriousOne

Enlightened
I actually owned repair shop in 90s, so I've repaired thousands of batteries in such way.