Will you buy a self driving car?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I'm still not liking my car controlling my braking, and really don't like airbags.
Studies show they work. Ok good enough.

But a car that drives itself?

Me? not anytime soon.
How about you?

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
It´s not like I´d enjoy driving itself.... it is a necessary evil to get from A to B. But still I´d rather drive the way I want it and therefor not going to buy a self driving car. The way I see it now, I will not use it even when it is standard and available in every car. Of course that opinion might change with time.

Eric

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
I enjoy driving and the feeling of being in control and pushing my car to the limits sometimes. But, I could see a self driving car would benefit my daily commute which is 40 miles and 1 hour + in each direction daily. It would be nice to get into the office and back home without the stress of stop and go traffic. I would want a self driving car to have a full override so that I can take full control when I want it.

ven

Flashaholic
It is not for me, I like to be in control......

I actually don't mind driving even though these days the roads are a lot worse than 20yrs back(busy and driving standard are low). As SOYCD said, maybe for a commute and busy in queuing traffic.......I can sure do without traffic jams and start/stops.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still not liking my car controlling my braking, and really don't like airbags.
Studies show they work. Ok good enough.

But a car that drives itself?

Me? not anytime soon.
How about you?
I do not think it will be anytime soon. I'm not saying it won't happen, but the road network is too diverse and too many situations, that a computer at present is unable to really cope with.

It's not like flying a plane, where you have a relatively large area and precision down to inches is not really needed. Planes also have huge levels of maintenance. Cars, not so. Not because they don't need it. But because people can't always afford it or spare the time for it.

And there are still large questions over who would be liable when a computer is in control.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, absolutely.

Assuming they pass all the appropriate tests, I will definitely go for an autonomous car.

I am a driver, and rider (motorbikes), and have always enjoyed driving. Unlike many, once I passed my driving test, I went on to advanced driver training for both car and motorcycle (with the IAM) and then onto becoming an 'observer', training others to take their advanced test.

No longer will I consider myself a 'driver'. Now there are just too many careless, selfish, thoughtless, just plain terrible drivers on the road, all of whom make the experience horrible. This is not to say that those drivers are not capable of driving well, but they act so badly it beggars belief.

As with all of the worsening situations on our planet, the only way to deal with the increasing numbers of people is to create more and more limitations to control those people who take advantage. Ideally we would replace all cars with self driving cars. These could then all be in communication with each other and therefore know what each vehicle is going to do. I guarantee traffic will flow much better if you take the human element out.

They cannot come quickly enough, and once they do, at an affordable price, sign me up. I can't wait, and will be even more excited to get one than I would a new 1,000,000 lumen keychain light.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ironically, even if you/we don't trust them and vow to never own one, our friends and neighbors may feel differently. So they will increasingly be among us. I predict the governments will eventually make us buy them. Ya know, to keep us safe from ourselves. Besides, if it saves just one life, isn't it worth it? Oh, and look how much more fuel efficient they are....bla bla bla.

I can say, that the adaptive cruise control is pretty nice. I rented a car with that. It worked pretty well. Only thing I noticed is that the Lane Warning system & Automatic Cruise control makes you lazy! I found when I went back to driving my vehicle I almost changed lanes with out looking! Days later, my brain was STILL relying on the computer and radar to warn me if there was a vehicle in the other lane. So, it was nice to use, but I can see how it can make you lazy/dangerous.

This is my car. What do you think?

~ Chance :cool:
Q7yGjGn.jpg

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe only after the tech has been out for a few years. maybe. sounds like something that can be hacked though.