Up graded Klarus XT11GT, XHP35 HD E4

texas cop

Enlightened
I've noticed that a few sites are listing the Klarus XT11GT as being upgraded with a XHP35 HD E4. Throw has been changed from 402 to 316 meters. Supplied battery changed from 3600 mah to 3100 mah. Looks like with a brighter LED and a higher amp rated battery we might be at 2000 lumens or just a whole lot closer. Cree charts do list the HD E4 as being about 15% brighter than the HI D4.

camelight

Newly Enlightened
That can be a bery nice mod for this flashlight
But that well known that hi versions of led's are less efficient but are better for throw
What i don't understand is why change the battery. I taught that the one klarus supply is already a high drain one. After all for getting even close to their claimed 2000lm it has to be a high drain battery even 1500lm on a single 18650 battery should use a high drain
So i dont understand why to change the battery

Trashman531

Newly Enlightened
I wish they would hurry up and solve all these issues, I really want one! But I'm going to let the dust settle first. Even at 1500lm I would buy one up in a heartbeat.

gsteve

Enlightened
What are they going to do for us suckers that bought the 1200 lumen version? The one that was to make 2000������

gsteve

Enlightened
What are they going to do for us suckers that bought the 1200 lumen version? The one that was to make 2000😡😡😡

toobadorz

Newly Enlightened
Recently Klarus seems to overly exaggerate the lumen output of their lights. I bought the G20 immediately when it was available, but it turned out to be a ~2000 lumen light, definitely not 3000. A review on TLF reported a measurement of 2110 lumen and confirmed my observation. Then their Mi7 was out and claimed to have 700 lumen output, but again a TLF review reported an output of less than 600 lumen. And now the XT11GT... This is disappointing.

Lexel

Enlightened
I am pretty sure that the 3600 one is a 8 or 10A continous drain battery
from LG INR8650MJ1
or a Samsung INR18659-35E
or Sanyo NCR18650 GA

Why they changed to an IMR who knows both batteries should provide enough to run the light at max output without a problem

toobadorz

Newly Enlightened
Maybe they are using a direct driver for that true 2000 lumen (if really), just like what a BLF A6 driver does to get a highest possible turbo mode? That makes sense because when you're using a Samsung 30Q with the BLF A6 driver, the current can be close to or higher than 8A! And then a true high-drain cell like Samsung 30Q or LG HG2 must be used for that purpose, so a 3100mAh cell is newly introduced (3000mAh + 100mAh exaggerated?).

Or maybe the reason is fairly simple: they are simply replacing that 3600 cell with a cheaper one, that's all...

Last edited:

texas cop

Enlightened
Does anyone know what this light actually puts out in lumens? Does it throw as well as Klarus says? I just got the G20 and it is not as bright as my nitecore EC4S.

In the German reviews it put out just under 1500 lumens which is what an XHP35 HI D4 does at 1.05 amps. Changing over to the XHP35 E4 it does 1712 at 1.05 amps with both LED's needing the same 12.85 Vf at that amperage. Now if they changed the battery to one with a slightly lower internal resistance which would have a lower capacity they might push the current up a little more. My guess would be about 1800. Those that can, changing from an XHP35 HD E4 to an F2 would add another 120 lumens alone. Klarus did down grade the throw from 400 meters to 300 meters.

Lexel

Enlightened
Klarus replaced the battery with one that can provide more current of course those types cant reach the same capacity as there is more copper inside to support the current

compare two of the best 18650 with good capacity and high drain capacity
as you can see the one with 3000mAh has a lower voltage drop at same current
IMG_0523.PNG

the throw distance changed bcs they dont use the Hi version anymore

the discussion of OTF lumens is just rediculus
as you run the LED on full power the output will always drop bcs of the temperature increase

we all know that those numbers like 1000 or 2000 lumens are marketing, just take 80% of it and you get to the reality
if the E4 produces 1700 ish OTF lumens its good enough
also every LED has a range of lumens it provides, so even if you test one it doesnt mean that the next has the same value

I rather get a light thats missing some power instead of going with the current beyond spec

Last edited:

toobadorz

Newly Enlightened
the discussion of OTF lumens is just rediculus
as you run the LED on full power the output will always drop bcs of the temperature increase

we all know that those numbers like 1000 or 2000 lumens are marketing, just take 80% of it and you get to the reality
if the E4 produces 1700 ish OTF lumens its good enough
also every LED has a range of lumens it provides, so even if you test one it doesnt mean that the next has the same value

I rather get a light thats missing some power instead of going with the current beyond spec

I personally agree that if 1700 OTF lumen is measured from an XT11GT, then probably that's acceptable considering the variance among LEDs, just like what you may get from a ACEBEAM EC60 (I enjoyed that flashlight indeed). However that's not the case. Less than 1500 lumen from a 2000 lumen XT11GT, and 2110 lumen from a 3000 lumen G20. The numbers are far from what they should be, no excuse.

This is not only a little mistake, but also a hint that there may also be some hidden quality problem in the manufacturing process. Once you lost your reputation, it would be costly to win that back again.

Last edited:

Lexel

Enlightened
The Klarus XT11GT with the Hi D4 was measured at 1500

as they changed to E4 measured above 1700 OTF Lumens but lost throw distance
that is quite a good result would like to see a review here that verify it

LED vs OTF lumens is always a drop, but sure on the G20 its beyond acceptable

res1cue

Newly Enlightened
Fyi: straight from klarus customer service:

"The reason why we change LED for XT11GT is as below for your
reference.

1. Compared to the new XHP35 HD LED, the efficiency of XHP35
HI LED is lower. In order to achieve
high lumen with the old HI version, we over-drove a lot and
did the limit to achieve that brightness,
while the battery and flashlight temperature rise is more
faster.

2. The XHP35 HD led has a higher light efficiency compared
to the XHP35 HI LED, so we reduce the driven
current in order to improve the product stability and
reliability. At the same time the speed of temperature
rising
is decreased."

texas cop

Enlightened
Fyi: straight from klarus customer service:

"The reason why we change LED for XT11GT is as below for your
reference.

1. Compared to the new XHP35 HD LED, the efficiency of XHP35
HI LED is lower. In order to achieve
high lumen with the old HI version, we over-drove a lot and
did the limit to achieve that brightness,
while the battery and flashlight temperature rise is more
faster.

2. The XHP35 HD led has a higher light efficiency compared
to the XHP35 HI LED, so we reduce the driven
current in order to improve the product stability and
reliability. At the same time the speed of temperature
rising
is decreased."

That's not a good thing. I wanted that current level to get the lumens closer to what was advertised. If the current was lowered then we're back to far less than advertised lumens and a loss of throw.

Lexel

Enlightened
Not true
the XHP Hi was measured at 1500 OTF lumens
the XHP HD at 1700 OTF lumens

still looses throw, but brighter and less heat so the brightness improves also over time with less thermal dimming

texas cop

Enlightened
I received the Klarus XT11GT that I ordered this morning, I ordered when it was supposed to be an HD E4 but instead I got the HI D4. Time for an LED swap, HD F2.

Lexel

Enlightened
I searched for F2 bin and found no store to get one

Funny is I ordered the Hi d4 and now a HD e4 is coming