Fenix's new LD12 'neutral white' 2017 edition

goldenlight

Enlightened
If you are entertaining the notion of BUYING one of the new Fenix 'neutral white' LD12 2017 edition, I have a word for you:

**DON'T**

I did, and just like EVERY OTHER FENIX FLASHLIGHT, it has the SAME rotten urine, split pea soup puke, green LED emitter.

I have NEVER SEEN a Fenix light with anything even approaching a 'decent tint' LED emitter. Not once.

But, like an IDIOT, I still sent them $50 of my hard earned money, because I, obviously mistakenly, thought they might, oh I don't know, MIGHT ACTUALLY HAVE A NEUTRAL WHITE EMITTER.

But NOOOOOOO.

Indeed, you will just get the SAME POC GREEN LED flashlight they have ALWAYS SOLD.

Can anybody point me toward a nice single AA flashlight that ACTUALLY PRODUCES a neutral white light, can use a 14500 battery, and has nicely spaced output levels? That would NOT be like most SureFire flashlights: 500, 400, and 5 lumens.

The GREEN LED Fenix LD12 2017 has 5, 30, 70, 150/320 lumens NiMH= 150 lumens, and 320= 14500 li-Ion rechargeable. Even if you can only scrape up an alkaline AA cell, you get 5, 30, 70, 150 lumens, though the run times are poor, compared to an Eneloop. Or a 14500. But they are well spaced.

If only Fenix would put a cool white, or neutral white LED, instead of the rotten urine, split pea soup puke, green LED emitters in their flashlights. I have no use nor need for a green LED flashlight.

The last time I sent one of these fugly green flashlights back to Fenix, they sent me back the EXACT SAME FLASHLIGHT, with the SAME EMITTER.

LeafSamurai

Enlightened
Mate, sorry to hear that. You might have a dud sample? The LD12 2017 thread on this forum have nothing but great reviews for the light. I was thinking of purchasing one so hope I don't get a sample as yours.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mate, sorry to hear that. You might have a dud sample? The LD12 2017 thread on this forum have nothing but great reviews for the light. I was thinking of purchasing one so hope I don't get a sample as yours.

Sounds like OP has received more than one dud sample. Bad luck. When you receive something that does not meet your expectiations, get an RMA and return it.

FWIW The Fenix white emitter that I have has the whitest white of any emitter I have seen, without even a hint of green, just pure white. Even though it renders colors more accurately, my neutralish Nichia 219b 5200K emitter looks slightly greenish when compared on a white wall side-by-side to the white emitter in my Fenix E05ss. I am stunned by OP's assertion that all Fenix white emitters have an intolerable green cast. But then, my eyes are green... idk if that matters.

goldenlight

Enlightened
Sounds like OP has received more than one dud sample. Bad luck. When you receive something that does not meet your expectiations, get an RMA and return it.

FWIW The Fenix white emitter that I have has the whitest white of any emitter I have seen, without even a hint of green, just pure white. Even though it renders colors more accurately, my neutralish Nichia 219b 5200K emitter looks slightly greenish when compared on a white wall side-by-side to the white emitter in my Fenix E05ss. I am stunned by OP's assertion that all Fenix white emitters have an intolerable green cast. But then, my eyes are green... idk if that matters.

My eyes are green, too.

And I stand by the FACT that EVERY Fenix flashlight I have ever bought has had a rotten urine, split pea soup puke, green tint.

I swore I would never buy another one, and I haven't for 4 or 5 years.

I STUPIDLY thought that if I bought one that is SUPPOSED to have a neutral white emitter, that it might actually HAVE a neutral white emitter. It didn't. It is actually considerably WORSE than some others I have gotten. Fennix is nothing if not CONSISTENT in the extremely poor quality flashlights it produces.

I mostly buy Nitecore and Jetbeam flashlights. Nitecore is hit and miss on tint; but really poor ones are rare, in my experience.

I've never purchased a Jetbeam flashlight with a poor tint emitter. One Jetbeam model, and I can't recall it off the top of my head, had such a perfect white beam that I immediately bought 4 more. One lives on my bicycle, one in my car, one SHOULD be in my winter coat pocket, but isn't, yet. Two I gave as Christmas gifts, with a high quality charger, and 2 18650 protected Li-Ion cells. Both people who got them couldn't believe how nice the Jetbeam flashlights are. They are a bit large, at close to 6 inches long, and an inch in diameter, but they are the best flashlights I've EVER purchased.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Armytek ? A1
Zebralight
Urr thatl start you off

My fenix has a fine tint though.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are not helpless, OP, neither are you a victim. You are welcome to spend energy needlessly in your anti-Fenix campaign to persuade others to similar indignation. You are also welcome to accept or reject the principle of caveat emptor. Or you can do actually do something to improve your situation, other than shake your tiny fist at the sky (which I indulge in quite often, myself... it is therapeutic I think).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_merchandise_authorization

http://www.fenix-store.com/warranty-info/#Five :

How do I return a product from your website--I decided I don't want it.
If you decide you don't want the product for any reason, you must return it WITHIN 15 DAYS OF PURCHASE.* The product must be returned fully intact and 100% resaleable. If it is not in resale condition, (for example, if you don't return all packaging, parts, accessories, or packaging is torn) there will be a 25% restocking fee. * Your refund will be the purchase price LESS the initial shipping cost.* No returns will be accepted without prior authorization.* Please call 800-616-1326 Ext. 2 and request a return authorization number.* CLICK HERE to fill out the Warranty and Return Form.

Last edited:

Javora

Enlightened
Can anybody point me toward a nice single AA flashlight that ACTUALLY PRODUCES a neutral white light, can use a 14500 battery, and has nicely spaced output levels? That would NOT be like most SureFire flashlights: 500, 400, and 5 lumens.

I would suggest Thrunight, they have a couple of AA lights that you might like. Hope this helps and hope you can get a quick return on your LD12.

Tac Gunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wile none of the Fenixs I have have anything close to a green tint and I happen to find all of mine to be some of the best quality lights available, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

You may check out the Eagletac D25A as it is available in a variety of emitters and can support a 14500.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't had good luck with Fenix flashlights either. My last one came with an extremely purple XP-L. I will say I like my CL20's though. They all have a nice neutral output.

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, but what is the color temperature.
Fenix thinks that 5000K is neutral, it isn't.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got two 2017 LD 12's. The first one did indeed have a SLIGHT green hue to it against some surfaces. The second one is stone cold NW perfection. Puke green eh? Sounds more like the ZL tint lottery madness than anything Fenix would be careless enough to do ....oh well maybe a couple 1970's pea/puke green color emitters got through...just think Brady Bunch episodes...those are the nastiest shades of green I have ever seen..the cars the furniture..OMG...the 70's were the hangover of the 60's for sure...

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got two 2017 LD 12's. The first one did indeed have a SLIGHT green hue to it against some surfaces. The second one is stone cold NW perfection. Puke green eh? Sounds more like the ZL tint lottery madness than anything Fenix would be careless enough to do ....oh well maybe a couple 1970's pea/puke green color emitters got through...just think Brady Bunch episodes...those are the nastiest shades of green I have ever seen..the cars the furniture..OMG...the 70's were the hangover of the 60's for sure...

Every company has a tint lottery because of the emitter manufactures binning tolerances. ZL has no more of a tint lottery then Fenix with their normal models imo and at least they are using the latest emitters and constantly pushing for new innovations unlike Fenix who use inefficient drivers, outdated emitters, and sticks to boring old designs that lack innovation. Plus, ZL offers models with guaranteed tint consistency if you want it and even tells you what the consistency will be for many of their models.

Last edited:

goldenlight

Enlightened
You are not helpless, OP, neither are you a victim. You are welcome to spend energy needlessly in your anti-Fenix campaign to persuade others to similar indignation. You are also welcome to accept or reject the principle of caveat emptor. Or you can do actually do something to improve your situation, other than shake your tiny fist at the sky (which I indulge in quite often, myself... it is therapeutic I think).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Return_merchandise_authorization

http://www.fenix-store.com/warranty-info/#Five :

WTF gave you the obviously ridiculous idea that I am NOT returning this POC to Fenix? I never said that. I never even implied that in any way, You just made that up so you could, in your limited and extremely small minded way, attempt to insult me. If you want to try to insult someone, since you seem to enjoy insulting people, I'd recommend you pick on somebody who is LESS intelligent than you are.

In other words: go troll somebody else.

Last edited:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
..........Can anybody point me toward a nice single AA flashlight that ACTUALLY PRODUCES a neutral white light, can use a 14500 battery, and has nicely spaced output levels?.........
Doesn't exist. Out of the 100 or so lights I have purchased, I have yet to find the perfect one. I'm still searching though :D.

On a side note: Tint varies so much in the LED world. I once asked an Ebay seller about an Olight flashlight because I had received what you considered a puke green tint on an S65......so I just wanted to ask the seller for his honest opinion of the light before I purchased. He banned me from bidding simply on that question alone...........probably for fear that I was too picky or would return it.

Of all the lights, most have been in the too cool area for me. Very few with too much green......but it can happen. Everytime I purchase more than one of the same light, there is always a difference between them......sometimes not much at all and other times a lot of difference.

Last edited:

wolfgaze

Enlightened
Aside from your complaints about the tint/LED - how was the build quality of the light overwise? I'm thinking of buying one and then having someone modify it for me (new LED and apply diffusor film for floody beam)

nbp

Flashaholic
Oh my gosh dude, settle down. It's flashlight not a pacemaker. You'll survive this heinous act of terror, I promise.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
The NW in my Olight S1A is superb. Don't know if that's a fluke or that's just how Olight rolls. If the latter, I'm happy to see that they're setting a higher standard.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest Thrunight, they have a couple of AA lights that you might like. Hope this helps and hope you can get a quick return on your LD12.

IDK...thrunite is known for green NW as well.