Anyone have any idea when CREE will make a better LED than the XHP70?

barretttx

Newly Enlightened
How often does CREE come out with brighter, more efficient, flashlight-usable LEDs? It looks like the XHP70 came out in December 2014. Does anyone have a guess if we are close to better one being released?

Maybe we can look for a pattern or average time span of past LED innovations to get a ballpark idea?

(I'm thinking about buying one of the very expensive XLED 30 x XHP70 led lights but I don't want it to be outdated in 1-2 years)

I hear you Mr. Barrett, Texas! :) I have been hoping for that same thing myself. CREE has just released the XHP50.2: does that mean there will be a XHP70.2? The stock OEM Acebeam K60's successor with "XHP70.2" should have comparable ceiling bounce and throw with the Titanium Innovations L35 HID. The stock K60 has the lumens but not quite the throw.

Acebeam X65 is one of my all-time favorite flashlights. For me, the order of succession is: Olight SR90 - Nitecore TM36 - Acebeam X65. I have learned from my Olight SR90 ownership to treasure the Acebeam X65. Nitecore TM36 was kind of an anomaly. Olight SR90 is not made anymore and that was the original. I didn't properly cherish it enough. I have a mulligan - a second chance; a do-over - with the X65!