Surefire 6PX Defender looking kind of dim

DZA

Newly Enlightened
I don't have many flashlights to compare. I have a surefire 6px defender that I picked up a couple of years ago. I also have a cheap light that holds 1 AAA. The cheap one advertises 40 lumens, and has a focus beam with some blue tint. I was outside looking for something in the dark, and the surefire was useless. The cheap light was great.

The surefire has the 2 original 123 surefire batteries. Do they just dim over time, or is it just cheap newer technology that makes the surefire look dim?

Thanks!

xdayv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, they dim over time when the battery gets used up... As Jonny said, try some new cells. And it's good to have some spares readily available.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes cells, maybe if your going to use regular try out some 16650 cells. Of course a charger is required, xtar option for $10 or so would be sufficient. Depending on use, you would save money down the line. However if irregular use and going to be left for periods of time then stick with cr123 fuel.
:welcome:

DZA

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all!

That's encouraging. I'll order some 123s now. Use is rather infrequent. It's usually attached to a rifle. However, I did just use it b/c my cheap light has a beam that is way too focused.

I also think I need to feed my growing addiction to lights. The cheap ones are fun, but I need to trust the surefire to blind bad guys. Should I replace the cells on a specific interval regardless of usage?

DZA

Newly Enlightened
Also, is it plausible that a cheap light that is 4 years newer is just going to have the technology of the surefire 6px? What voltage reading should my 123 cells read if they are still considered good?

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Thank you all!

That's encouraging. I'll order some 123s now. Use is rather infrequent. It's usually attached to a rifle. However, I did just use it b/c my cheap light has a beam that is way too focused.

I also think I need to feed my growing addiction to lights. The cheap ones are fun, but I need to trust the surefire to blind bad guys. Should I replace the cells on a specific interval regardless of usage?

No, CR123 cells have a shelf life of 10 years. So over the cours of 10 years they barely lose any charge, which is the big plus for these cells. You only need to replace them when the light dims too much for your liking. But it sounds like your cells are very dead if they can't produce more than 40 lumens.

Me+Light=Addiction

Enlightened
Also, is it plausible that a cheap light that is 4 years newer is just going to have the technology of the surefire 6px? What voltage reading should my 123 cells read if they are still considered good?

Technology moves quickly so a light that is 4 years newer will probably be more efficient due to better circuitry and led's. But it doesn't mean a 4 year newer light is better just because it is brighter or more efficient.
Reliability is the biggest factor in the cost difference I think. Although the 6PX isn't an expensive light (it is very good though, I have one aswell :) )

I measured the voltage and a new 123 reads 3.25 Volts for me. I also measured a completely dead once and it reads 2.3 Volts.