I have an HDS EDC Basic 60. What do I do with it?

youngster

Newly Enlightened
I bought this about 10 years ago. Been sitting in my closet the whole time. Can I update the head so that I get the latest emitter?

I'm amazed how expensive these things have gotten.

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Send it to someone to change the emitter, or learn how yourself.

Or sell it, can probably get about $120 for it.

flat-ray

Enlightened
In my opinion is always a modern and actual flashlight. I own and use many. Contact CPF member Nitroz for a nice led upgrade.

ven

Flashaholic
Also gunga could chuck a more up to date LED in there.
My two 120's were done UK side by CRX(and a mates). Nichia 219b 4000k in one(recommend) and 219c 5000k in another(love this for day time uses). Initial readings to after the LED swap showed at least 3x the output.
I would have thought you would get similar result with the 60.

The last two gold ones, measured before and after

Novatac Twins
Before
High – 54lm
Low – 8lm

After Nichia 219C D280 5000k 80CRI
High – 220lm
Low – 38lm

Before
High – 74lm
Low – 10lm

After Nichia NVSL219BT-V1 4000K 90+ CRI
High – 250lm
Low – 38lm

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Initial readings to after the LED swap showed at least 3x the output.

great info!
and the EDC Basic can be clicked 250 times to be programmable like an EDC Ultimate, so the low mode can be reduced and the other modes can be spaced accordingly..

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Id leave it be. Old hds lights are fantastic as is and there getting harder and harder to get your hands on.

youngster

Newly Enlightened
Id leave it be. Old hds lights are fantastic as is and there getting harder and harder to get your hands on.

Yeah I agree. I think it will just go up in value, just like Arc flashlights. I'm keeping it as is. It's in ideal condition.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it will just go up in value

Up in value?

The original price was $160:
https://web.archive.org/web/20050204075405/http://hdssystems.com/LightComparison.html

2 years ago, a couple went for $110
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...modded-HDS-Basic-60-modded-HDS-EDC-XRGT-added

as ven pointed out, you could upgrade both the CRI and Lumens with an LED upgrade.. That Would increase the Value imo. You would then have a light that is as bright as the present models, for about $81 less, minus the cost of upgrade. (EDC Executive costs $241)

Some people like upgrading the LED in the 42 lumen model even better, because they are brighter after the upgrade..
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...HDS-universe&p=5006042&viewfull=1#post5006042

I suggest you USE your light. If you put it back in the closet for another 10 years, I don't see any benefit.. but, its yours, do whatever makes you smile :)

thermal guy

Flashaholic
They may not skyrocket in price but 5 years from now they will be rare as hens teeth 🙂

Cavannus

Newly Enlightened
I agree with people who recommend leaving it as is. I have some lamps with "old" leds, and it is a pleasure to look at them turned off as well as turned on. Shapes and tints change, and for me being a flashaholic is also loving my old lights with this greenish Luxeon I led or this pinkish SSC P4... :)
My HDS Action Light from 1999 would make no sense with upgraded TIR optics and XM-L2 led...

pc_light

Enlightened
I bought this about 10 years ago. Been sitting in my closet the whole time. Can I update the head so that I get the latest emitter?

I'm amazed how expensive these things have gotten.

Keeping in original is always good for collectors.

BUT, should you decide to upgrade the LED here are the results from the upgrade to my old HDS B60.

Orignal LuxIII on left and Nichia 219c 4000K on the right; same camera exposure and white balance.
isXLnJb.jpg

Simple emitter swap (well not so simple) but done without modding the driver, head or original Luxeon LED (which can always be reinstalled).

ven

Flashaholic
If happy with the colour temp and gets plenty of use, I agree no point. But if it's going to get shoved in a draw because it's too cold or blue or etc etc. It's a great option to upgrade with a more modern LED keeping the classic HDS form. Pic your flavour and enjoy the light, rather than just storing it. That's me though, the little novatac recently was not too bad in original state. The beam was pure white, no actual tint. But it was not very bright and washed colours out a little. I would not have used it much as I would have simply grabbed a preferable light with a more pleasing beam. This had a 219c 5000k to keep a more pure white, yet colours now are not washed out. Not only more enjoyable (for me as subjective),but it gets used and part of my edc rotation. The lumen bump was a bonus! It's surprisngly bright and more than enough on high for 95% of my uses.
Advatages lower vf, brighter , nicer beam colour temp/tint. Life's too short, might as well just enjoy it to your preferences, if that's standard then even better.....money saved:twothumbs

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keeping in original is always good for collectors.

BUT, should you decide to upgrade the LED here are the results from the upgrade to my old HDS B60.

Orignal LuxIII on left and Nichia 219c 4000K on the right; same camera exposure and white balance.
isXLnJb.jpg

Simple emitter swap (well not so simple) but done without modding the driver, head or original Luxeon LED (which can always be reinstalled).
Great info, thanks for the photo!

Have you 250click, to reset original sublumen and 10 lumen modes?

Lithium466

Enlightened
Mine was a LE, upgraded with a XP-L to bring lumens level to current standards (dark doesn't get darker, but my eyes get older and older...).
Did the 250click trick way too many time, to bring it to a Basic/Ultimate standard programming, and lower the lowest mode at its minimum.

Lower Vf current leds help a lot in runtime, and of course brightness. Modding is easy, and you can always go back to the original emitter.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Good ideas in this thread, ranked:

3. Swap the emitter. As I type this, there's a B60 with a 219 emitter clipped to my belt.

2. Leave it as is. The beam on these is great. If you click the hell out it to get to the options menu and turn on locator flash, it makes a great emergency light that you can find in a blackout (I have an unmodded Basic model filling this duty), or a bedside light. Locator flash will run for two years on the original models.

1. Give it to me.

Rm219

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a used HDS basic in not working condition is it true I can't replace the driver as well as the emitter? Not sure currently why the light isn't working but I would sacrifice the UI for a working modern light if need be

thermal guy

Flashaholic
I just bought a used HDS basic in not working condition is it true I can't replace the driver as well as the emitter? Not sure currently why the light isn't working but I would sacrifice the UI for a working modern light if need be

Ya Henry can only do so much with his old lights. He had to get rid of all the equipment and parts for them.but get hold of him he may have a suggestion for you to try or he will take it in trade for a new one. Think he give you $80 bucks for it.if he says it might be the switch pm me.