I am seeing no significant advancements with 2xAAA penlights - my favorite EDC format.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Klarus P20 / Medical grade penlight / 5000k / Gorgeous, exceptional tint; RG0 / Nichia 219C emitter / Low - 4 lumens / Max - 230 lumens.
This is a ruggedly built penlight, able to withstand hard use. Mode memory.
Skip the P20.
I have one. Couldn't get it to work with rechargeable AAA batteries.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I can offer one possible alternative explanation it's because the AA cell is so much more versatile. It's not significantly larger (You can get some pretty slim 2AA lights) but packs 3 times the capacity. 700 mah vs 2000 mAh or so.

AAA is one of those cells that has no reason to exist. Same as CR2. Its better counterpart is of course CR123A.

I have nothing that runs on AAA cells. Except that's not totally true, I have a scale which uses 3xAAA which is real stupid. It's a big floor scale which could totally use AA cells.

Add the N cell to the list of what needs to be dumped in the Antarctic ocean.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
You guys are bloody evil, I'd never really considered the 2 × AAA format before (due to the lower energy density of the battery type) but some of these suggested lights sure look appealing 🤣

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I can offer one possible alternative explanation it's because the AA cell is so much more versatile. It's not significantly larger (You can get some pretty slim 2AA lights) but packs 3 times the capacity. 700 mah vs 2000 mAh or so.

AAA is one of those cells that has no reason to exist. Same as CR2. Its better counterpart is of course CR123A.

I have nothing that runs on AAA cells. Except that's not totally true, I have a scale which uses 3xAAA which is real stupid. It's a big floor scale which could totally use AA cells.

AAA cells offer a much slimmer package than AA cells and the smaller size can make for a significantly easier to carry light, especially in shirt pockets. Never have I ever come across a 1AA light that I could carry as comfortably as a 1AAA light, let alone a 2AA light as comfortably as a 2AAA.

People like to make your same argument with 18650s vs AA. 21700 vs 18650. So on and so on. The next thing you know you have a 26650 penlight in your shirt pocket.

Skip the P20.
I have one. Couldn't get it to work with rechargeable AAA batteries.
I suspect Monocrom may have a defective light. My Klarus P20 works perfectly with Eneloop AAA's, and it really likes lithium primary cells. It is absolutely ecstatic when I feed it the new XTAR 1.5v lithium rechargeable cells. That noted, you may have to hunt a bit to find a P20...they tend to sell out quickly.

On a related note, since our experience sample size at this point is just TWO (both being worthy members in good standing), I invite anyone else who has a Klarus P20 to chime in with their experience with NiMH cells, the intent being to help brother Kestrel determine if this light (among the several others nominated by the brethren) might be worthy of his attention.

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened

Agreed, go with a AA cell.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Thanks to all who replied;

Well, after buying a Pelican 1920B in the beginning of 2019; here we are five years later and I just bought ...

a Pelican 1920B.

I 'lost' the first 1920B to my GF, so I tried a Pelican 1975 a year later. I actually preferred its floody beam and the high-vis body over the 1920, but it recently started having with a connection issue, which I attribute to the more complicated poly body compared to the aluminum 1920 body. I'll be contacting Pelican to warranty the 1975 - but in the meantime I /have to have/ a fully functional penlight. :-/

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to all who replied;

Well, after buying a Pelican 1920B in the beginning of 2019; here we are five years later and I just bought ...

a Pelican 1920B.

I 'lost' the first 1920B to my GF, so I tried a Pelican 1975 a year later. I actually preferred its floody beam and the high-vis body over the 1920, but it recently started having with a connection issue, which I attribute to the more complicated poly body compared to the aluminum 1920 body. I'll be contacting Pelican to warranty the 1975 - but in the meantime I /have to have/ a fully functional penlight. :-/
Did you get 1920 (gen3?) with hi/lo, if so how do you like it?

Last edited:

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Have you looked at Fenix? They make the LD22 which is a AA flashlight that comes with 2 AAs and a rechargeable drop in stick with on board USB C charging. It puts out 800 lumens on turbo and 450 on high. I have used it quite a bit and it doesnt get hot or have issues. The modes are easy to switch and only switch when the light is on which allows you to set a brightness, turn it off and it comes on in that brightness. Just my thoughts.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Did you get 1920 (gen3?) with hi/lo, if so how do you like it?
Yes the 220lm / 20lm version; the specs of this model hasn't changed since then (~2019). I liked the last one, and expect to have the same experience when the new one arrives (Amazon). Maybe the binning has improved in the interim ?

Schuey2002

Enlightened
I love my Pelican 1975, with its floody beam and highlighter yellow, polymer body.

I am having an ongoing problem with it, though. And, I think it's the tailcap.

The light just randomly turns on by itself. And I mean all the time. Plot it down on a hard surface - on she goes. Give a slight shake - Yep! It's back on again. A rat farts two counties over from eating too much dry cat food - and Voila! My bedroom is lit up at 3:30 in the morning..

Oy. I really should send this back to Pelican and have them look at it...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Have you looked at Fenix? They make the LD22 which is a AA flashlight that comes with 2 AAs and a rechargeable drop in stick with on board USB C charging. It puts out 800 lumens on turbo and 450 on high. I have used it quite a bit and it doesnt get hot or have issues. The modes are easy to switch and only switch when the light is on which allows you to set a brightness, turn it off and it comes on in that brightness. Just my thoughts.
Kestrel has bought a new penlight.

Ironically I bought a Fenix LD22 v.2 a few days ago.