Rechargeable Li-ion or alkalines for smoke detectors?

777qqq

Newly Enlightened
Most recommend alkaline 9V batteries for smoke detectors. But has Li-ion technology improved enough to make rechargeable Li-ion 9V batteries like the EBL 600mAh 9V batteries safe to use in smoke and CO detectors? The AmazonBasics 9V batteries are $1.13 each and are advertised as having a 3 year shelf life. Thanks for any replies.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The main problem is a warning before the battery is empty. The smoke detectors are designed to give ample warning with alkaline.
I do not know how it works with LiIon.

terjee

Enlightened
I'm not sure I'd feel confident that I'd notice the low battery warning with a rechargeable. Could it start when I'm away, and drain by the time I get back?

Even if you tested the batteries see which runtime you get, there's still be a slowly reducing charge on the battery as it ages, and a lot of smoke detectors have increasing drain as they age. Then there are temperature swings, and so on.

I know some people have started using lithium primaries, and more or less just replacing the battery when they replace the smoke detector itself. Even so, I'd still want to test them when getting home from vacations I think. :)

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rechargeable Li-ion or alkalines for smoke detectors?
I use Lithium primary for all slow drain electronics including smoke detectors, remote controls, keyboards, clocks and...
They are more reliable, longer shelf life, no leak, work longer and less frequent remove/reinstall.
When it comes to safety and life of your family, don't hesitate to spend few $ more per year.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I purchased a couple of 9V rechargeable Ni-MH batteries for use as back up batteries in sprinkler timers and clock radios.

You will probably have to replace/charge them considerable more often than alkaline. Cheap NiMH is not good at holding a charge and with a 600mAh rating they are from a manufacturer that lies about capacity.

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great points about NiMH. I'll add a vote for using NiMH but only if they are low self discharge, you have a schedule to drain (capacity check) and recharge them every 3 months or so. They hold less than alkalines and as mentioned you will not get a low battery warning beep. If you want to use them, please set a reminder on your cellphone or similar.

Personally I'll just stick to alkalines as I have only once seen a leaking PP3, and it was a very old one. I believe this is because 1) the beeping occurs before the battery drains far enough to risk cell reversal, 2) they are in a metal can, which probably holds in some of the leakage.

Last edited:

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
The downsides of the lithium primaries is they are pretty expensive and not available in many stores, but they do last a long time. You can find both the Energizer Ultimate 9V and the Ultralife brand online without too much trouble, though.

I've never given much thought to trying NiMH or Li-ion batteries in my smoke and CO2 detectors, since they're even less common than the lithium primaries, and they get replaced so seldom the cost isn't that big of a deal. I'm comfortable with alkalines in the smoke detectors, since I've never encountered one dead without the warning beeps nor had a leak in that application. Even if it did happen, there's at least one smoke detector in every room in the house, all linked together so only one has to detect something amiss to alert the whole house, and all connected to the 120V power, as well. That's a pretty good level of redundancy, in my opinion.

I might put a lithium primary in the carbon monoxide detector next time, however, since we only have one of those, and there's a chance my son could pull it out of the outlet it lives in without being noticed.