Question on charger accuracy

carnage

Enlightened
Does all analyzer charger has a accurate mAh reading to a certain degree? Is there one charger has more of a accurate reading over another?

Capolini

Banned
My Opus BT-C3100 2.2V is usually within 3 %. It costs about $40/$45. Works well enough for me

The SkyRC MC3000 is supposedly better and costs around $100. Not positive about that price,,,it may be a bit higher than that.

Capolini

Banned
My Opus BT-C3100 2.2V is usually within 3 %. It costs about $40/$45. Works well enough for me

The SkyRC MC3000 is supposedly better and costs around $100. Not positive about that price,,,it may be a bit higher than that.

With that said it is important to note that No Two chargers are alike.At least with the Opus and I would suspect with the other charger/analyzers.

With the Opus chargers I had the KING Opus was even more accurate than the one I have now[~3% accuracy]

So, out of the Three I had Two were pretty accurate and the other fit the 5% to 10% accuracy range.I believe the norm is 5% to 10 % within SPECS.

carnage

Enlightened
Thanks for the replies!

The SkyRC MC3000 is a little to advanced for me.

Would you say the Opus BT-C3100 is one of the accurate charger on the market? Is the voltage display accurate to?

Capolini

Banned
Thanks for the replies!

The SkyRC MC3000 is a little to advanced for me.

Would you say the Opus BT-C3100 is one of the accurate charger on the market? Is the voltage display accurate to?

I agree about the SkyRC. More expensive and I do not need all the other things it does.

The Opus charges/Internal resistance test/ capacity test/discharges batteries if you want to store them.

For mine The voltage AFTER charge is about 0.03v TOO high. Opus reads 4.20v my DMM reads 4.17v

The discharging voltage is about 0.02v too high.

Below is a thread I started about my Opus Capacity testing. the last 3 or 4 pages are from my last Two [most accurate] Opus.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-C3100-2-2-Comparison-New-and-Exchanged/page5

carnage

Enlightened
I didn't read the link yet but I have a general question. Is it a good thing for it to read too high, because it stop it from over charging?

Capolini

Banned
I didn't read the link yet but I have a general question. Is it a good thing for it to read too high, because it stop it from over charging?

I guess you could look at it that way. My voltage meter could be off 0.01/0.02v also.

I would not worry about it. ALL these chargers today have built in electronics where they will not charge past 4.20v.

The only exception I know of are my FENIX ARE-C2 chargers that have 4 or 5 year old technology. They charge to 4.21/22V on new or relatively new batteries and I have never had an issue with any of those batteries. I use my Fenix chargers more than any because I like a FULL charge after the battery is at rest for awhile.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does all analyzer charger has a accurate mAh reading to a certain degree? Is there one charger has more of a accurate reading over another?

Generally you should expect about 5-10% accuracy (but better for high end chargers like the SkyRC MC3000).

But if you are using capacity only to track health, then you are more concerned with relative accuracy (mAh differences), which may be better than the above even for poor quality chargers (e.g. any offsets in voltage measurements will cancel in differences). However, low quality chargers may also suffer from nonlinear effects (e.g. ADC nonlinearity), and also slot inconsistency, etc.

Last edited:

carnage

Enlightened
The new Opus are you referring to is it the C3100 V3.1 and if so is available yet?
I could only find the C3400 V3.1, are they the same?
If the same what are the differences?

The Liteon power adapter, is Ebay the only place to get it from? Out of stock on Ebay.

Capolini

Banned
The new Opus are you referring to is it the C3100 V3.1 and if so is available yet?

The Liteon power adapter, is Ebay the only place to get it from? Out of stock on Ebay.

No. BOTH my versions were 2.2V. New as in exchanged for a new one.
3.1v discharges battery to 3.1v. My 2.1 version discharge battery to 2.8v.

I am on my way out. Not sure where u can get the Lite-on power supply if Speaker_joe is out of them,,,,,,,,,,,,try googling it...I will look later,got to go!

Capolini

Banned

If your interested in One I would email speaker_joe and ask them when they will be back in stock?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LiteON-12V...rmer-5A-66W-5050-3528-LED-Strip-/391689318983

If he is NOT restocking I would ask Gauss163 for another recommendation. He is the one who found/recommended my Lite-on.

Last edited:

joelbnyc

Enlightened
What is the consensus as to charging to 4.20V and lifecycle length?

Does charging to 4.2V vs say 4.10V or 4.00 really greatly reduce battery lifecycle, as the battery university articles suggest? Or is that advice dated?

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries

Also, I couldn't make up my mind so I bought both the Opus 3100 V2.2 and the SkyRC MC3000 V1.4, I will run some discharge/capacity tests when I get around to it and see how they compare.

Last edited:

Capolini

Banned
What is the consensus as to charging to 4.20V and lifecycle length?

Does charging to 4.2V vs say 4.10V or 4.00 really greatly reduce battery lifecycle, as the battery university articles suggest? Or is that advice dated?

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/how_to_prolong_lithium_based_batteries
Also, I couldn't make up my mind so I bought both the Opus 3100 V2.2 and the SkyRC MC3000 V1.4, I will run some discharge/capacity tests when I get around to it and see how they compare.

I am sure by charging them with a lower voltage will result in the battery lasting SLIGHTLY longer.

That does NOT interest me. I want a full charge with max output as long as possible. These batteries are not that expensive,I enjoy them and do not worry about charging a battery to 4.10v ect.

I have some Orbtronic 18650 3400mAh that will be 5 years old on 12.21.2017. I have over 500 cycles. they have always been given a FULL charge and have lasted this long!:D

joelbnyc

Enlightened
I am sure by charging them with a lower voltage will result in the battery lasting SLIGHTLY longer.

That does NOT interest me. I want a full charge with max output as long as possible. These batteries are not that expensive,I enjoy them and do not worry about charging a battery to 4.10v ect.

Yeah I guess it doesn't matter nearly as much as it does with $700-1000 phones that are idiotically/cynically designed with non-removable batteries.

Capolini

Banned
^^^^

I would agree with that.

My phone is $200 LG K20V and has a removeable/replaceable battery.:twothumbs

Works plenty good enough for me and I can finally get decent beam shots!

carnage

Enlightened

Capolini

Banned
I forgot to ask. In the model drop box, do I select Lite-On 12V 5A + power cord? If not which one?

Yes,,12v/5a. I see the power cord is OUT OF STOCK. That sucks! I would email him and ask him when he is going to get them?

Also,VERY IMPORTANT. You need an adapter for the connector FROM the Lite-on to the Opus. He sells them very cheap. 5.5mm x 2.5mm FEMALE TO 5.5mm X 2.1mm MALE

This is what they look like and are the proper measurements:My Pictures and Ebay example

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-DC-po...male-for-laptop-monitor-adapter-/142340377628

ADAPTER.jpg

BOTH correct,,,just one w/ right angle

It can get confusing getting the sizes and male/female mixed up. Worst case scenario I could send you one if you live in USA.

I had a power cord so it was just getting the adapters. Do you have a power cord?

It will be worth it in the long run. the Lite-on is more efficient, no stoppages during discharge and more accurate readings.