No Leaks Guaranteed!?

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3D maglight that I'm upgrading through the Malkoff LED upgrade kit.

This light had been sitting for a couple of years and some corrosion was obvious when I pulled it out to inspect before I order the kit.

Duracell D's suck by the way - so I did the toothbrush/vinegar clean up...etc. I don't want to have to do this again for a light that may sit in my truck for a year or more without being used.

So..with my pricey LED upgrade, I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy 3 Lion batteries or just buy some Everyready batteries since they claim their batteries will not leak (questionable)?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
3 Energizer Lithium Ultimates in AA-to-D sleeves, no alkalines in a stored light, no rechargeables for car duty due to extreme car interior temperatures.

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
A- First option is 3 NiMH LSD "D" size.
B- You can get three of
these loaded with 9 rechargeable Eneloope AA or lithium primary.
C- Have the body shortened to size of one 26650 plus an sleeve and enjoy short, less heavy, LSD, high capacity and deal with single rechargeable cell.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with fivemega. If get 3 NIMH d cells. Might as well keep the 3d size and especially capacity. I don't trust any alkaline or carbon-zinc cell to not leak. The rechargables are expensive at first but will pay off in the long run. Get good ones though like maha imedions.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
NiMH/Eneloops have a max operating temperature of 50C/122F, approaching that temp they self-discharge faster, exceeding that temp they begin to permanently lose capacity. The interior of your car regularly goes over that number frequently in summer months:

9Lq0xdw.png

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiMH/Eneloops have a max operating temperature of 50C/122F, approaching that temp they self-discharge faster, exceeding that temp they begin to permanently lose capacity. The interior of your car regularly goes over that number frequently in summer months:

9Lq0xdw.png
You fill up the rest of the battery compartment with water. That's keeps the cells cool

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a 3D maglight that I'm upgrading through the Malkoff LED upgrade kit.

This light had been sitting for a couple of years and some corrosion was obvious when I pulled it out to inspect before I order the kit.

Duracell D's suck by the way - so I did the toothbrush/vinegar clean up...etc. I don't want to have to do this again for a light that may sit in my truck for a year or more without being used.

So..with my pricey LED upgrade, I am wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy 3 Lion batteries or just buy some Everyready batteries since they claim their batteries will not leak (questionable)?
Alkalines leak...... that is why the "better" batteries (even so called leakproof ones) have stated warranties on the back of the package dealing with replacing items damaged by their leaks. A leakproof battery could put a warranty on it that would be insane like 10 times your money back if the battery leaks in normal use.