Zebralight Headlamps: Help Me Pick One

ParacordMan1220

Newly Enlightened
It's been many years since I've carried a headlamp, and I always ended up using a small light held in my mouth when I had one. Now my gear has grown, and I was fumbling in the dark trying to cut a small log with my axe. My Malkoff MD2 with the combat ring is quite the mouthful! :laughing: Such a simple fix, carry a headlamp when camping.

I really like the looks of the Zebralights, and wanted to know what you guys think. I quickly became overwhelmed with all of the options.

I'd like it to use 18650 rechargeables (the same battery I use in my other lights.)
Price range is under $100. Preferably under $70

I don't know how many lumens would be ideal for camping and just your average "need-a-light" moments. I've never had a light with more than 1000 lumens either. But anything will be better than my little petzel Tika that was like 22 lumens.

I'd like my runtime to last a few hours, I don't have much of a use for one that'll burn up a charge in 30 minutes with a super bright output

Id also like for the light to be fairly compact. So I can throw it in s small pack
I like the style of these lights, as I can use them on a bag strap or a chestpack to see in front of me. But if anyone knows a better option, throw it up here.

Sorry for the ambiguity, I just don't have a lot of knowledge in this area.

JLeephoto

Newly Enlightened
This would be an easy one for me. I have and H600fd Mk3 that's my favorite all round camping and hiking light. I'd go with the MK4 version and program it to come on in H2 at 562lm. That will easily light up the camp sight and last hours.

terjee

Enlightened
I have the H600Fc Mk III, and I'll be getting the H600Fc Mk IV.

Floody because I care more about avoiding "bouncy ball" than throw, and it generally fits better for almost all my use cases. If I want throw, I also want directionality, and a handheld thrower for intermittent use does the job nicely.

c rather than w because I care more about high CRI than the few extra lumens.

c rather than d because I like it a tad warmer, and find it suits me better for the things I actually use it for (night time).

I'd go with the Mk IV over the Mk III, for the increased programmability, so you can choose the battery/lumens you want for H1/H2.

I do genuinely believe that H600Fc Mk IV is the 18650 headlamp most likely to suit most people, for most uses. I also believe most flashaholics will know their specific reasons for choosing anything else, such as preference for cooler, wanting more throw, or caring more about lumens (or efficiency) than CRI.

Not trying to down anyone with other preferences - it's all good - I just think that "if in doubt, go Fc" makes sense.

Another way of putting it would be to instead of looking at all the options, take the Fc as baseline, and look for others if you want a change in a direction.

(My personal opinions here, subjective and all)

ParacordMan1220

Newly Enlightened
So would most of you recommend waiting on the H600Fc Mk IV to come out?

I'm still trying to learn the alphabet soup (Not the easiest to understand). Genuine noob here.

I was wondering about the size of it. Would it be heavy to wear as a headlamp? Should I consider a CR123A or AA version?

Also, do they have a clip to fit the H600Fc Mk IV sized flashlight?

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
as to size / weight: NO!
no "need" for any of the smaller batteries.
I guarantee: when You 1st handle the H600 You will be totally blown away.
Just tell us Your findings when ...
;)

Keitho

Enlightened
As far as size, I have both a 18650 and AA Zebralight headlamps. My preference, especially in the backcountry, is as small and lightweight as possible. So, on 1 or 2 day trips, I sometimes use the AA. Unless you're trail running, the 18650 isn't too big at all; even running, many use 18650 lamps. I choose it for the longer runtime, for the higher brightness around the house, etc. You'll be blown away by it if you've never handled one.

The best way I know to start to decode the alphabet soup is the "compare all products" link on the left of the Zebralight page. Best of luck!

blueridgeman

Newly Enlightened
I have the H600Fc Mk III, and I'll be getting the H600Fc Mk IV.

Floody because I care more about avoiding "bouncy ball" than throw, and it generally fits better for almost all my use cases. If I want throw, I also want directionality, and a handheld thrower for intermittent use does the job nicely.

c rather than w because I care more about high CRI than the few extra lumens.

c rather than d because I like it a tad warmer, and find it suits me better for the things I actually use it for (night time).

I'd go with the Mk IV over the Mk III, for the increased programmability, so you can choose the battery/lumens you want for H1/H2.

I do genuinely believe that H600Fc Mk IV is the 18650 headlamp most likely to suit most people, for most uses. I also believe most flashaholics will know their specific reasons for choosing anything else, such as preference for cooler, wanting more throw, or caring more about lumens (or efficiency) than CRI.

Not trying to down anyone with other preferences - it's all good - I just think that "if in doubt, go Fc" makes sense.

Another way of putting it would be to instead of looking at all the options, take the Fc as baseline, and look for others if you want a change in a direction.

(My personal opinions here, subjective and all)

Hi Terjee,

I'm following this thread also. Is this the model you are looking at?

http://www.zebralight.com/H600Fc-Mk-IV-18650-XHP502-Floody-4000K-High-CRI-Headlamp_p_218.html

I have an interest in one of these also.

Thanks!

terjee

Enlightened
About AA and CR123A:

The CR123A versions are quite old now, and only available in cool white, low CRI. Unless you have a heavy reason for CR123A, I'd pass. Lithium primary AAs are a good option instead, if you want low weight, good energy/weight, long storage and so on.

The AA can be interesting for the smaller size, and option of using primaries, but personally I'd much rather have an 18650 one as my main light.

Weight-wise, and H53Fc with Eneloop Pro is 62 grams, while a H600Fc Mk III with VTC6 is 87 grams. Both measured without head band on kitchen scale. It's a personal choice, but for me, 87 grams is more than light enough.

Hi Terjee,

I'm following this thread also. Is this the model you are looking at?

http://www.zebralight.com/H600Fc-Mk-IV-18650-XHP502-Floody-4000K-High-CRI-Headlamp_p_218.html

I have an interest in one of these also.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's the one.

Currently I have the former version (H600Fc Mk III), but I'll be ordering the one you linked as a new main, retiring the Mk III as backup, and then add a H53Fc also as backup. At least that's the current plan.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just going to add my 2 cents. I have both an AA and 18650. I first had the AA, but wanted longer runtimes on both higher and lower levels. It's not too much heavier or bigger unless you compare them side by side (even then not a big deal) I mostly use the AA as a reading headlamp.

If I was buying new ones right now (I still might get the H600fc/d Mk 4, for the programmability) I would get a flood AA for the house and stick with an 18650 for general outdoor usage.

Last edited:

ParacordMan1220

Newly Enlightened
So I finally pre-ordered one! I went with what terjee gave the solid reasoning towards, the H600Fc Mk IV.

Now my next question: Is there a pocket clip that is compatible with the H600 body? I've done some looking around, and I haven't seen anything that clips solidly to the light. I'd like to have a clip in case I would want to attach it to my HPG Chest Pack or pocket and allow it to shine in front of me

terjee

Enlightened
So I finally pre-ordered one! I went with what terjee gave the solid reasoning towards, the H600Fc Mk IV.

Now my next question: Is there a pocket clip that is compatible with the H600 body? I've done some looking around, and I haven't seen anything that clips solidly to the light. I'd like to have a clip in case I would want to attach it to my HPG Chest Pack or pocket and allow it to shine in front of me

My guess is you'll be happy with it. May it give you lots of joy over many years. :)

I have no experience with clips for these myself, but the MH20 clip was just recommended over here:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...604-H600F-MKIV-headlamp&p=5162014#post5162014

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, H style ZL pocket clip works on the H600.
Now there may be body changes with the MK IV, but if you're interested in making it work well, if not perfectly as designed by the factory, then I'm sure you can get the H style clip on there regardless.
I've been hollering about it for a couple years now, about using heavy marine grade heat shrink tubing to lock the clip on pocket clip into place, it works really, really well. You'll bend the clip first, it won't pry off.

The original sections of tubing are still on my H600Fw MK II, and H600w MK II, they sometimes loosen a little bit over time, about twice a year I run the ring of tubing at the neck of the head of the light (head up carry) through a Bic flame for a few seconds, tightens the tubing right up, incidental maintenance.

Last edited: