If Only 2 Lights, Which 2 and Why?

CalgaryGuy

Enlightened
Let say if you go on holiday for two weeks and you can bring 2 lights with you, which two would you take and why?

For me, I'm thinking of bring my Arc 4+ and my SF Hurricane lamp. Why, Arc 4+ does 99% of the task that I need and it has a full range from bright to very dim. SF Hurricane will be my battery carrier and it can also be used to light up a small room if needed.

mut

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only 2?
I would have to say I would take three or actually four.
ARC 4+ as you say does just about all of the tasks. I would say the hurricane is a smart choice. Then I would throw something with throw in also. A PR head or something along those lines. And always an ARC AA or AAA in the pocket.
Just my 2pennies worth. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
mut /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would normally take more than two as well, but if I was forced to only take two, it would probably be a Surefire L1 and A2. Four different useful levels of light from two flashlights.

-Keith

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
If only two...an eternaLight and the ARC 4+.

However, it would be tough to only take 2, I always have my ARC AAA with me.

Cmoore

Enlightened
ARC AAA -- my true EDC light
ARC LSH-P -- as bright a light as I've ever really needed plus it's small.

JohnJ80

Enlightened
Arc 4+ and A2

Arc 4+ is EDC and can be used for reading etc... in lower light if need be (so can the A2 in LED mode). Arc 4+ covers almost all of the near term stuff less than 30'.

A2 has got the throw for longer than 30', it can be used for tactical (wall of light) defense should you need it. LEDs can be backup for Arc 4 or useful on its own.

Actually, that is my EDC anyhow - both lights.

I would also carry the spares carrier (number escapes me) that carries 4 cells and the spare bulb for the A2.

If I got to add a third, it would be the PT Aurora Head lamp.

J

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same two I always have... SF M2 and SF L1. SF M2 is bright and bullet proof, and the L1 fills in with both a medium and low light/long runtime option. And they even take the same batteries.

-john

metalhed

Enlightened
See the sig..../ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I like to travel light, and the Firefly is very bright and small enough to fit in my Levi's change pocket. Arc4+ on my belt...hardly notice that the two are there. Add an Arc soft pouch (comes with the LSH) on the belt with four CR123 batts and I'm good to go. If I'm packing a bag to take, I'd add the Arc LSH (with Gadget Lover inspired resistor mod) with a twisty...great table top light and two-stage output.

B

Birmingham47

My Surefire A2 (green) and my Princeton Tec Aurora. The surefire for multiple use lighting and preserving night vision, and my aurora to see and be seen with hands free lighting. Multiple uses on the headlamps.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, only 2 lights, huh. Well that's a tough one. I guess I would say my EternaLight for general low lighting and long battery life, and probably for the second, my Mag 4-D for some throw and situations where more light is needed. Of course, what flashaholic would go on vacation with only 2 lights? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BlindedByTheLite

Flashlight Enthusiast
my Elektrolumns FT3C and my Arc LSL..
i think i could make it. well. maybe an Arc AAA too.

Edit:
oh, and why!
well, the FTC3 is the smallest 3C flashlight in the world and gives you well over 70 lumens of light for almost 12 hours..
and the Arc LSL 'cause, well, it's like family.

Rex

Newly Enlightened
1. Surefire E2e/Kl1. Why? great runtime, tough,decent brightness
2. Arc AAA as backup. Why? Tough, great runtime, usable brightness
All this coming from a guy who has survived stormy weather in near total darkness while hiking with just a Pocketbright coin cell light (my main light run out of batts). The key IMHO, my dear friends (with LEDS at least) - is how much batteries you have left.

Nerd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire L2 and Surefire U2. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I think it's pretty self explainatory. Too bad both are not out yet...

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
What will get the job done? Really?
1. Arc 4+ w/fresh 123
2. Extra 123 cell

If you're going to do some nocturnal nature walking on your vacation, I'd have to recommend... the Arc 4+.

I'm not a walking Arc billboard like you may think, but this was one of the things this light was designed for. Let it do it's thing. If ya got one, that is.

turbodog

Flashaholic
So from reading all this, we're on a 2 week trip with lights what will run out of battery after a cumulative time of 4 hours? (for those of you who picked surefire and arc)

I see a lot of small lights picked. What about something like a 3c mag with an everled and an arc aa?

In my opinion, whomever is going for 2 weeks needs brightness and runtime. Maybe an a2 and a eternalight.

The primary light is up for discussion, but an eternalight would definitely be my second light. 16 brightness levels, batteries could last the entire 2 weeks, SOS mode, timer mode, waterproof and floats.

This is similar to what I am working on. Some friends an I have a 9 day backcountry mountain bike ride planned this summer. We're going from Colorado to Utah. The planning of food/water/tools/spare bike parts is easy. I still haven't decided what lights to bring though.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire
A2
L4

Of course my L4 is in a kit with a MN02 head, MN03 head, and C series head with an E2C and a P60 lamp.

StoneDog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AAA so that my wife can read her magazines in the hotel room while the kids sleep in the next bed.

Pelican M6 w/ 5w McModule for everything else. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I used to take a CNC-123 which was nearly perfect, but then I went and sold it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Jon

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire E2e and L1 if I can only have 2, but somehow an Arc AAA might go along for the ride. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The E2e for bright light in a small package, and the L1 for it's dual beam and long(er) runtime.

-Mike