Newbee Fast Becoming Addicted

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello All,

I would like to buy some flashlights. I know I came to the right place.

A small one to fit on a key-chain.
A medium one for the pocket.
A large one for the car.

I would like the brightest possible, but I like LED's. I read about some mods that are supposed to be really bright. Are there LED's that compare to Inc's when it comes to brightness? What's the real scoop?

Does anyone have any suggestions on some models and where to get them?

Lewis

Ralf

Enlightened
keychain -> ARC AAA (it is a must have here :) )
medium for the pocket -> E2E for me, but now I would go for an L4 ...
I have only a small, cheap 3AAA Led light in the car, not a large one ...

Cheers
Ralf

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome Lewis, I guess you already know about the 'gonna be broke' part, so no need for another warning... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Keychain - I agree on the Arc AAA as well... long runtime and small.

Pocket - Arc LS, or if you can afford it then the Arc 4.

Car - I'd have to say Inova X5t for long runtime and lithium batts.

There's lots of other lights that will fit the categories you mentioned, and you'll be getting more suggestions soon, I believe. Do a quick search on the forum back one week or 2 and you'll find a thread on car glove box light. The rest is all over the forum... Enjoy your stay here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the moment I have a 4D MAG in my car. I like the size incase anyone decides to car jack me if you know what I mean. But I'd like to get an LED that's equivalent or better.

I do a lot of camping/hiking, so I'm also looking for a good thrower. Doesn't have to be an LED, but real bright. Also, what's a good head lamp?

I have a Craftsman rechargeable work light that I get a lot of use from, because I can set it down swivel the head, however I'd like something brighter that's an LED. Any idea's?

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Streamlight Keymate $10 bucks...Surefire U2 $250?? (skip the L4 or you`ll end up buying both) and a Streamlight TT...ummm...3c for the car $30...or maybe the Streamlight TT 2L $30, but it doesn`t make a good club. Another choice for the car might be the Inova 24/7. These combos will run you around $300. Are you married? Does she like you a lot?

Welcome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ken

RadarGreg

Enlightened
Keychain: Arc AAA or CMG Sonic-G

Pocket: Arc LS, Arc 4+, CMG Ultra-G

Auto: Inova 24/7
I think the 24/7 would make a great car light. The CR123 battery can sit in it without losing a charge, you have eight different light modes for distress, beacon, red LEDs, white LEDs, etc. Get it with the magnetic clip accessory and you can hang it from your hood if you have to work on your car at night. It can also be used for an emergency marker beacon if your battery conks out and you are stranded. The low intensity white or red lights are useful if your navigator is reading a map, and high power white LED setting provides quite a bit of useful lighting.

I'm afraid we are going to be a poor support group for your seven step addiction program. We are about as twitchy for our next flashlight fix as possible. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CandlePowerForums, Lewis.

The reason some members are pointing you toward lithium powered lights is because the batteries have a shelf life of around 10 years. Also, they are not much affected by cold temperatures.

I keep a Pelican PM6 and a mini-M*g with a Dat2Zip MadMax Led conversion in my vehicle for just this reason. Of course, these are not large lights.

For a large automobile flashlight I would bet Badbeams suggestion of the Streamlight TT 3C would be good.

3C running a Luxeon 3W through a 30mm optic I would say an ElecktroLumems FT-3C would be great. I don't own one yet but it has been getting good reviews here.

For larger LED lights look around the Modified and Homemade forum. Many of those guys build SpaceNeedle II style lights. These are based on Mr. Bulk's 5W LED modified M*g 3D design that is pretty much legendary at CPF. Some of the ModMen are getting great results using a 3W LED in this configuration. You might get lucky and find one in the BST forums.

For an LED bat, I have an Elektrolumens Blaster V. 5W LEDs running through a 30mm optic have a bit of a week spot in the center...not a true donut whole but noticeable when shined at a white wall. I don't notice it in real world use. I don't think Wayne J. sells them on his web site anymore but you could always email him and ask if he has an extra one. Also, I have an EL Tri-Star that produces massive LED light using 3 3W LEDs. It's 3D sized. I think he was considering making it in a 4D size which would be perfect for your application. He makes some other large lights you might like. ElectroLumens has its' own forum here at CPF. You may want to check it out to find out more.

Here is his site Elektrolumens

Have fun.

- Jeff

SpeedTriple

Newly Enlightened
Hi Lewis and welcome here.
Keychain Arc AAA or even smaller the Photon Microlight III
Pocket SureFire L4 / Arc4+ or the Arc LS / Pelican M6 Led
Car Pelican M6 Led / Streamlight TL-3 or Stinger (Rechargable)

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well it looks like the Arc AAA is the best light of all time, because everyone seems to recommend it. However, how is the brightness level? Is it enough to be useful?

The Arc LS or Arc4 are also popular. What makes them so great? How do they compare to other 1W LED's, lets say the PM6 LED?

What about the InReTech TriLight III? How does it compare to the Tri-Star 4D? And that Helios looks like a monster. Any comments on that one?

Is the Streamlight TL-3 non LED a good thrower? What are sone great throwers about the size of a 3D or 4D Mag, maybe smaller?

Too much fun!

cool4light

Newly Enlightened
the following are the ones that i personally use that would fit your description.

keychain - arc aaa (great output and run time for the size)
medium for the pocket - surefire L4 (will light up a room)
large for the car - modded 2c mag using 3 x cr123 and overdriving a 7.5v lightbulb (great throw)
or a craftsman 2d with an everled (long life)

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AAA is a single 5mm but it is regulated and bullet-proof. Small amounts of light are useful to dark adapted eyes. Many people like to use the least amount of light necessary in certain situations. Arc AAA is my most used light.

I'm an ElektroLumens fan and I'm debating whether or not to sell my 3D Tri-Star at a loss to afford the 4D Tri-Star.

The large InReTechs are designed to be long running floods. Tri-Stars are more focused but definitely not spots. Mike (InReTech) is a member of CPF and is knowledgeable in LED lighting, electrical engineering as well other engineering desciplines. You could PM him and I'm sure he would be happy to give you better details.

All the member's reviews I've read on the large InReTechs were good. Here is Craig's review. I believe InReTech has made some improvements since the review was done. The LED museum rates Helios with 4 stars. LED Museum's review of Helios

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
It depends what you what your flashlight to do; there is no one "perfect" flashlight for everybody - you have to take into account:

) Brightness
) Operating time
) Size
) Weight
) Cost
) Battery cost/avail

Remember: Brightness X Operating-Time -> Weight

Some people want a small flashlight that puts out a LOT of light, unfort - it will be limited by operating time

Other people want a flashlight that will run for a long time, unless they want to drag around a large battery pack - they will have to give up brightness

A friend of mine has a Peak-Beam flashlight, and it puts out 6,000,000 Candlepower for about an hour, but it weighs 10lbs; not to mention the cost - about $4000

You will have to decide what qualities in the flashlight you need - and can afford; weight is an important issue since if you are a security guard - you will have to "lug" it around during your shift

For our products, I think the best Power/Weight ratio is the TRILIGHT-III, puts out a LOT of light and runs in a 4D case - not as much as the HELIOS, but lugging around a 6D is not easy for most people

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm basically looking for the brightest, smallest, longest running, cheapest, most bad a** looking light available, and I want it yesterday. So I'll keep buying lights until I'm either broke or I find the Holy Grail of lights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

All kidding aside, I realize there's no one perfect flashlight, but I would like to get my most used lights narrowed down to a hand full. The rest will be used for entertainment purposes only.

I'm sold on the ARC AAA, but the Arc LS or ARC 4 seem a little expensive. Not that that's a problem, but I seen a 1W (NiteStar-S1704) at goldengadgets.com for $40. How does the ARC's compare to the NiteStar and are they worth that much more?

Dark adapted eyes? Now I want a red one. Any good red ones? I would use it for astronomy.

Also, that NOVA 5W headlamp looks awesome. What do you guys think?

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mike of Inretech makes really good points. Sometimes brightness is less desirable than Runtime. Finding a balance between the two is not easy. The Inretech Adapter for the 2AA minimag is one that gives a balance, though on Lithium AAs only. The Inova X5T is another that gives a nice balance at a reasonable price. At the top end of this list is the Arc4+ Premium.

Now, I recently got a Guide Gear 3C Aluminum 1 watt Luxeon flashlight from Sportsman's Guide. I find that it gives superb brightness, decent expected runtime (ignoring claims), at a reasonable price. Sure the weight is a bit on the hefty side, but, I can deal with that easily enough. It became my favorite flashlight soon after I loaded 3C cells and turned it on for the first time.

I can't afford to waste a set of batteries for a runtime test. Plus, I would need the instrumentation, which I don't have. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I brought an old Radio Shack branded 2AA aluminum focusing krypton light back to usefulness, by installing a Versalux PR-2 LED bulb, in place of the incandescant bulb. Did the same with my only Mag-Lite (R).

The best thing you can do, is to first fill your particular flashlight needs, before looking at wants.

If you live and/or work in a theft prone (from car) area, then you car light should not be expensive (Surefire, Arc). It should be able to use either CR123A lithium, or, AA Lithium (Eveready Energizer L91). The X5T fits this, and does fit in the Nite Ize headband. It is more than bright enough for changing tire(s), or working under the hood. Given that it runs on a pair of CR123A batteries, it is great if you live in an area that gets really cold (or can occasionally does). It is small enough to fit in the glovebox, and gives you 20 hours of total runtime. Its beam pattern is a flood light. I have one and like it alot.

Lithium batteries are also less likely to leak in the flashlight.

1.) Consider your needs.
2.) Consider the maximum prices for the lights that fit your needs.
3.) Find the lights that fit 1 and 2 above.
4.) Figure out which ones (3) fit best.
5.) Make your purchase(s).
6.) Now you can take care of your wants.
7.) It is all downhill at this point, and, the slope is greased. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

'Normal' people don't understand our fascination with lights, yet we have a hard time understanding why they collect things like Barbie Dolls or whatever. So, be prepared for funny stares and the inevitable 'you paid $$ for a flashlight?!?!?!'

Welcome to CPF, Lewis. If your not careful, you can spend alot of money on one flashlight real fast. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc is a small company at this point, with smaller production runs. The founder and owner is a perfectionist. The stuff that golden gadgets carries are more mass production than Arc's products.

If you want premium Quality, you pay Premium prices. It will take me 2 months of saving to be able to get an Arc4+ Premium.

INRETECH

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that a flashlight is one of those things you might have to bet your life on, and I will not skimp on - when I hear a noise in the house, I grab my flashlight and I want to make sure it will work