H53c vs H53w - which one for hiking/overnight trips in the mountains?

solars

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I'm having a hard time deciding between the Zebralight H53c and H53w.
I mainly use it for multi-day trips in the mountains.

Does anyone have experience with these and can suggest one or list pros and cons?

Thanks a lot,
Christoph

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I don't have those specific lights, I do have an H600fc and H51fw. I prefer the tint on the "c" as it's a bit warmer and has a higher cri which is better for the outdoors. However, the tint on the "w" is no slouch and the H53 series are supposed to be better than the 51 series.
You really can't go wrong with either of the lights that you are asking about, and the levels are not far off from each other so it's really tint and CRI vs a slightly higher lumens count. I would go for tint.

parametrek

Enlightened
They are identical except for tint. The c is slightly warmer and has higher CRI. The w is cooler and has lower CRI. The w has slightly higher output. The tint of the c is probably easier on the eyes than the tint of the w.

I have the H53c and am very happy with it. There have been a lot of complaints about the tint of the XP-L2 in ZL's larger 18650 headlamps but I haven't heard complaints in the AA version. In white wall shots I can't easily tell the difference between it and the Nichia 219C.

I have not used an H53w but there isn't anything I regret about the H53c.

holygeez03

Enlightened
My H52Fw is my favorite and most used light... for outdoor purposes, I would want the extra lumens of the W... if you are not a photographer or tint-snob, you will probably have no problem with the W temp/tint, unless you get really unlucky. Although I just checked and C and W are much closer in output than I expected... High CRI is nice if you can appreciate it.

I am both a photographer and tint-snob and I have still been happy with my H52Fw. I prefer the frosted lens output of the F for headlamp/work-light usage... but the 52 also can use a 14500 battery and get a turbo boost, albeit for a short time.

I would strongly consider an H53Fw/c for headlamp/work-light usage and pair is with an SC series light for longer distance usage... the SC64w/c would be a fantastic choice if you don't mind 18650 batteries... or the SC53w/c if you want to stick with AA batteries.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just to add, we are tint snobs and flashaholics so either or is great by itself. We like to compare them side by side so the tints are much more noticeable. I had my H51fw for years and the main reason I got the H600fc was to (sort of) standardize on the 18650 battery and for the longer run times. The extra lumens and better tint were just icing on the cake.

solars

Newly Enlightened
I got the H53c now and really like it. I previously had the old H501 which did not have a spot, I guess the H53c is much better for hiking.

Just one more thing: Can anyone recommend a AA or AAA thrower (eneloop) to pair it with? What are people currently using?
I've got a very old Fenix LD10 and ITP A3 EOS, but I guess there are better ones in terms of efficiency by now?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one more thing: Can anyone recommend a AA or AAA thrower (eneloop) to pair it with? What are people currently using?
I've got a very old Fenix LD10 and ITP A3 EOS, but I guess there are better ones in terms of efficiency by now?

The best 1xAA thrower I have is a Manker T01. About the same size as a Zebralight SC53, but with a slightly fatter head. Fits in a pocket quite well; better than many 1xAA lights. It puts out about 400 lumens, but it throws with about 10000 candella due to the larger reflector and HI emitter. Pretty good for such a small light. I think Manker may have an updated version by now.

markr6

Flashaholic
I really like the 4500K on the w versions. I typically use an older H600w at 4400K for backpacking and I love it. Not too warm, not too cool. However, in the woods I think the 4000K and extra CRI would be nice too. But I prefer the middle of the road CCT and the tint is very nice. The CCT seems higher than 75. I usually like updating to the latest and greatest, but I like my old H600w so much I never bothered.

I also have the H53w that I use exclusively for running.