What Scooter you recommend...

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I want to buy a scooter for a change /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif, they look like fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. I want a gas driven one. There are hundreds of models, Which one do you recommend? Any good online dealers to look at?

Thnx!
Alex

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i saw a gas powered one at a autoparts store the other dayfor 257 bucks the stores name is advance auto parts they are big around here. i kinda want one to.

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Gas? Gas sucks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif, and your neighbours will hate you. You want to go electric: Great torque, good speed, lots of moding potential, quiet, clean, and cool.

Check out Electric Scooter World for real-world tests of electric scooters.

cy

Flashaholic
mekki, what about the weight and range problems of electrics?
VS reasonable priced 43CC gas units? the site listed will only let you view if you pay and join.

Are the generic gas units good as Gopeds?

mekki

Newly Enlightened
Weight can be an issue, but really, how much do you need to carry it? Besides, lifting lead makes you strong!

Range: Realistically, how far do you expect to travel? Many scooters can travel 10-20 miles/charge, and often can be charged in as little as 2 hours.

2 stroke gas motors are: Smelly, loud, and polluting. To me, there is just no contest, especially if you want to ride anywhere near society.

Sorry about that link /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Didn't realize the content was gone.

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
I don't know much about scooters but I've got one of these coming for me from a parts distrubutor through my work. A bit small for the average Joe, but I'm short.

c2_1_b.JPG
5b_1.JPG

ChartSpecsPocketBikealt.jpg
pocketbikeHiRes-red.gif

This is a made in China replica of what appears to be a Blata Elite 13. The "real" ones are water cooled, raced and a bit too rich for my blood. These mini-bikes were first seen in Japan. They then became popular, perfected, & full-on raced in Italy. More info on the "real" raced ones can be found here.

I can't wait! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
whisky, now ya talking!

I always wanted one of these too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

EDIT: OMFG!!! I just noticed, but the ones you linked are jet/turbine powered?!!? Where do I send Paypal?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I vote that we just ignore them, like most folks easily ignore the health, political, environmental, noise, mess, smell, tuneup, oil-change, refuelling, and cost problems of gasoline. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Want to be the envy of all who know you?: http://www.electricmotorsport.com/EGPR/egprPage.htm

sise4keyablek300.jpg

raggie33

*the raggedier*
pssst walmart has a scooter 250 watts for 150 bucks maybe 157 i forget i have 2 scooters there both 100 watts there slow on hills i figure 250 will be better but waa i kinda want gas i realy rather have electic but the range on gas scooters blow electric away i think it was 30 miles but at 25 miles per hour then ya can put in more gas/ but i respect darels oion so i probalty get electric.i need something for dr appt i go a lot and she is like 7 miles away one way

avusblue

Enlightened
Years ago, I had a Honda Elite 125, that was bulletproof and had the speed and cleanliness of a 4 stroke engine and it also had a cool, automatic retractable headlight! It would out accelerate city traffic, top out at 55 mph, and easily carry a passenger -- all of which are significant advantages over 50cc "putt putt" 2-stroke scooters as well.

Scooters are fun, practical ways to get around; most have big lockable storage trunks under the seat that let you carry a big bag, a jacket, and / or store your helmet. The downside is that you generally look like a geek riding a scooter -- but hey, we're all flashaholics so we're already pretty comfortable with geekhood, right???

Cheers,

Dave

Darell

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
LEDependent said:
[ QUOTE ]
I had a Honda Elite 125 years ago...

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, you're old... I didn't know Honda existed back then! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Too funny. Made me look!

Hell, I had a Kawasaki GPz 550 years ago. Ha.

Darell

Flashaholic
If a high-quality, SAFE scooter is what you have in mind, this is an awesome choice among EV officianodos: http://www.evt.com.tw/html/product_evt/english/index.htm#

product_pic_4000.jpg

Hub motor makes for ZERO mainenance. Tons of power, stylish "dorky gas scooter" looks. It simply does everything a gas scooter does... quitely and more conveniently.

The el-cheapo scooters are a dime-a-dozen these days. And they scare the snot out of me. I'd rather run across the freeway on foot than ride one of those where there might even be even ONE car out there to kill me. If you're serious about scootin' then get a serious scooter. If you just want to have one to play on for a few weeks before it gets stuffed in the back of the garage, get a cheap one.

cy

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
[ QUOTE ]
cy said:

[/ QUOTE ]
I vote that we just ignore them, like most folks easily ignore the health, political, environmental, noise, mess, smell, tuneup, oil-change, refuelling, and cost problems of gasoline. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Want to be the envy of all who know you?: http://www.electricmotorsport.com/EGPR/egprPage.htm

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted to find out the range and weight problems of the electric scooters I had already looked at.

It seems that only the very high end electrics fit the bill on range and weight. I'm looking to spend under $200. To get a comparable electric scooter, you are looking at $1,000+ with the high end electric going $3,000+, like the one from the link above.

You are talking about a gas scooter that gets 200 mpg, used occasionally. Of course everything adds up. I think gas scooters do marginal damage at worst.

If there was an affordable electric solution, I sure would look at it hard.

AlexGT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow lots of links and suggestions, thanks guys! I will have to read a lot. I don't want to spend lots of money since I don't know if I'll get hooked... Hmmm now that I say this, I remember saying the same about lights./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Thnx!
Alex