Modified Dorcy AAA (3x LEDs) *w/ Pics*

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Somehow I got this strange idea that one of these Dorcy AAAs I had laying around needed a little modification. While in the past I have used the circuit boards for different mods, up to this point I have never modded one of the "intact" AAAs. The objective was simple. Increase the brightness while keeping the form-factor (if the size increased it would be a pointless mod IMO because then you could go with the 3LED Dorcy AA.) Being that I have no 8mm LEDs around and 0 experience with Luxeons, I decided to go with 5mm LEDs, using blue because I had 3 and they matched the Dorcy case. Since a picture is worth 1000 words, here is the end result:

The light:
Head.jpg

Head_ob.jpg

And the mandatory beamshots: /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
L1_AAAmod.jpg

L1 Low Beam vs. Modded Dorcy AAA
Please note that the white balance is off. The L1 has more of a purple/white tint while the Dorcy AAA is a nice blue.

AAA_AAAmod.jpg

Stock Dorcy AAA (white) vs. Modded Dorcy AAA (3x Blue)
Please note that the white balance is off in this photo too. The stock Dorcy has more of a purple/white tint while the Dorcy AAA is blue.

Comments/questions/suggesting welcome.

-Mike

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very cool! I have a bunch of cyan leds that I have been debating transplanting into a Dorcy AA, but have not had the time to try it yet.

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
Would you be able to do that with white LEDs and how much would you charge to do that? I am looking for a SMALL, yet BRIGHT LED light - this may have been the answer?

David