LOTR question--Shadowfax Breed?

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
as you said, he's a mearas, and that's all i care about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

actually, i've always wondered what kind or horse the prancing pony is... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Size15's

Flashaholic
Why not ask one of the people who run theonering.net ??
This site has been my first look at page for the last few years. I'm not sure what I'm going to do once ROTK:EE is out for Christmas... Revenge of the Sith I guess.

Banshee

Enlightened
From the Encyclopedia of Arda:

A mighty horse of Rohan, the chief of the Mearas, tamed by Gandalf and reluctantly granted as a gift to him by King Théoden of the Rohirrim. Shadowfax is thought to have passed West over the Sea with his master

Notes
1 Tolkien never states explicitly that Shadowfax sailed into the West. In his Letters, though, he gives such a wealth of clues and hints, we can state with near-certainty that the great horse sailed on the White Ship with his master Gandalf. (See The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien No 268, dated 1965).
2 Fax is an extinct word for 'hair' or 'coat', now only surviving in a few place- and family-names, like 'Fairfax'. In fact, Tolkien has anglicised the name 'Shadowfax' somewhat from its original form; in the Old English language representing the tongue of the Rohirrim who bred him, he would have been called Sceadufax or Scadufax.