Apple CEO Jobs Has Cancer Surgery

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think good thoughts. If (and a big IF) caught early, there are some good treatments, but not a nice disease. My mother-in-law had a type of pancreatic and liver cancer. In her case, the progression was very rapid and nasty.

Good reason to get regular checkups.

-(a different) Craig

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
from Steves email to the company after while recuperating in the hospital:

"I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was)."

According to other sources: He will not need to have any chemotherapy or radiation therapy and has an excellent prognosis. While he is recuperating, Tim Cook, head of worldwide sales and operations, will run the company.

So it's not quite time to short the stock yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
How vulnerable we all are! No matter how poor and rich a person is we are all vulnerable. Only difference is the rich stands a higher chance because he can afford the medical bills. But if that is a deadly cancer that can't be treated...

drchow

Newly Enlightened
What goes around comes around! Jobs laid off, fired, and ruined many lives of those who worked for Apple. He deserves it.

LukeK

Enlightened
Oh the hell he deserved it. No one 'deserves' pancreatic cancer. Geez. If the world worked that way then we'd all be screwed.

I'm just glad to hear that it was diagnosed and addressed quickly.

udaman

Banned
[ QUOTE ]
drchow said:
What goes around comes around! Jobs laid off, fired, and ruined many lives of those who worked for Apple. He deserves it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone who has gone through the stress and anxiety of dealing with my mother's Stage IIIB lung cancer (knock on wood, removal of one lung, and so far cancer free for the last 3 years, but in failing health) I have to say I don't understand the rantings of a person like "drchow". Such an irresponsible statement as this only proves that at present, drchow is only a doctor of stupidity. No person 'deserves' cancer. Cancer is an equal opportunity killer that has nothing to do with deserving or not, and anyone with a half-brain's worth of intelligence would understand that fact.

drchow also reminds me of the decidedly immature, confrontational, spoiled, self-centered, overly self-assured ER physician brother of my insufferably bad neighbor; a person sorely deficient in fully comprehending the Hippocratic oath at present. One can only hope that such self-absorbed individuals, at sometime in the future, gain something resembling a large dose of humanity (take a read of the definition of 'humanity' in Webster's dictionary).

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I guess drchow was upset because he got fired by Steve Jobs??

Udaman, in Singapore all doctors think alike. They are there for the money, not the purpose of saving lives. To most of them doctors, they wouldn't be bothered if you live or die the moment someone remove the law where doctors are liable to be sued for medical malpractice. Sad but true.

DocArnie

Newly Enlightened
I had cancer, too (Hodgkin IIIa), and I always thought "What did I do, why do I deserve it?" This question made me mad and is still keeping me busy. People who say that someone "deserved it", are like fuel to that fire.
Luckily I successfully got rid of that disease. Although I couldn't do my military service, which I was looking forward to since I was a 13 year old boy, things are going to be alright. I'm in the 3rd semester at the university now, because I finished school during the treatment. As you can see, nothing is impossible, if you really want to.

A good thing in Germany is our medical system. Though my parents have enough money, I would have gotten my chemo even if I were from a poor family, because everyone has the right to get the best treatment for every disease, no matter if he's unemployed, a foreigner or old. Even people with no money have an insurance, because it's the law!

Congratulations to everyone who fought cancer, good luck to everyone who is still fighting and good health to you all! Our health is the biggest treasure we have.

drchow

Newly Enlightened
Not fired by Steve Jobs, but a Motorola and former Newton, Inc share holder who got screwed when Apple screwed Motorola during the Operating System Licensee era when Motorola made Starmax's?

My comments are WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND, treat people right and you will not likely have crap hit yourself usually. Karma.